PDA

View Full Version : What inspires you most?

UnknownArtist
03-13-2005, 08:21 PM
In an attempt to pass the time, I was curious as to what is inpiring to you guys/gals. What gets those creative juices flowing.

As for myself it has to be my travels to the Carribbean as well as my local nature. I may be more of a surreal abstract thinker, but for some reason these areas just get my imagination running.

How about everyone else?

InterFacer
03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
A few different types of music, mostly acousitic/lyrical, but also just walkng outside, and trying to see things on a different scale. I mean, imagine how much different life would be if you were a foot tall, or if you were 20 feet tall...and how different things around you would look.

TraceR
03-13-2005, 09:51 PM
http://digitalblasphemy.com/

pnoland
03-13-2005, 10:05 PM
What inspires me most is bordom. :P When I'm having trouble thinking of a project I'll usually just get away from the computer, go for a drive, play guitar...just something to keep my mind off thinking too hard about a project idea. Usually after that something will just pop into my head. :)

Jackdeth
03-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Pressure, cash, fame, and freedom.

Troy
03-13-2005, 11:09 PM
try eating some cheese before bed to induce some nightmares

Don Kayote
03-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Death, Pain and Suffering. Those reference are just easier to find.

UnknownArtist
03-14-2005, 05:35 AM
try eating some cheese before bed to induce some nightmares

Interesting idea.

BillSpradlin
03-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Chocolate works better than cheese.

ZeroLogic
03-14-2005, 05:45 AM
i got to try that cheese idea for fun

furre
03-14-2005, 06:33 AM
"The world"?

Spankspeople
03-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Not completely on topic, but I find that The Electric Monk's signature seems a rather inspirational passage itself, when taken out of the context of the book, though not quoted quite accurately.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where----" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"----so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Still, I think that the dialogue between Alice, the Mad Hatter, and the March Hare is my favourite.

shy-guy
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
i get inspiration from everywhere,everything,anything,nothing... the world is full of ideas,imho,you just have to catch them; normally you will find inspiration when you´re not looking for it, and when you are in a rush to find some,well, you know the murphy´s law don`t you?

floatingrunner
03-14-2005, 08:50 AM
i would have to say music for the most part

other times, just day-dreaming or night-insomniatic ponderings

the old 'what-if' scenarios just don't really do it for me anymore... most just ended up in some kind of random-day-dream-stupid-childish thought.

nunz
03-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Impressing my friends because "wow! I can draw!" inspires me to keep at it. Today I impress my friends, tomorrow I impress audiences.

madart
03-14-2005, 09:40 AM
For me it's very much like shy_guy said, I get inspiration from anywhere and everywhere. Often I get inspiration from abstract patterns or doodles. Marble is also a very good source of inspiration, lots of faces, different creatures and landscapes.

vfx fan
03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Let me make a list:

Movies (especially space sci-fi movies)
Classical music
Certain genres of computer games (space sims like "Descent: Freespace" or "Freelancer")
Hitler, Stalin, and other great leaders
Fine arts (especially surrealistic abstract art)
Kinky clothes
Sleep
Girls (preferably between the ages of 13 and 25)
'Tis all for now...

laber
03-14-2005, 06:25 PM
everything inspires everyone, but the most of it happens subconsciously. the people will tell you things they like, but theese are not always the things which really inspires them.

but i dont want to start a discussion about inspiration/ideas, my english is too weak to do so :)

CGmonkey
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
My friends push me to do better. Everytime I see what they accomplish I drop my jaw in awe.

one of my friends: http://rosenberg.perfectcontrast.com ;)

UnknownArtist
03-14-2005, 08:15 PM
As in what was stated on the first page, dreams Are a good source of inspiration. If I have a good nightmare or off kilter dream, then that can drastically bring me ideas. I only wish that I had the memory compacity to wake up, grab a notebook, and write EVERY detail down. Oh if Only I could.

FabioMSilva
03-14-2005, 09:13 PM
i think sometimes watching too much movies, or tv series can drop your creativity. I used to be genious in terms of creativity(of all things in my life, it was the only thing i was a genious at), but since i've started using internet and downloading manga&anime, my creativity started dropping a lot. probably because now u dont have enough free time to free your brain. seems like playing games does the oposite effect tough(single player games, cuz multiplayer games also seem to suffer from the problem i mentioned in the movies/tvseries).

that's why from sometime to now, i am always struggling to have a Free-From-Everything week, in order to try to restore my creativity.

UnknownArtist
03-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Snake: I have to agree, but to an extent, movies can bring creativity. However after a long long sitting desensitization plays a factor and I can possibly go into a creative coma.

leigh
03-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Let me make a list:

Girls (preferably between the ages of 13 and 25)
'Tis all for now...

You're kidding, right?

UnknownArtist
03-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Kinda strange roots of inspiration, however they were great leaders. Not people to look up to or admire mind you, but they were good at what they did no matter how evil. So taking away their results and what they attempted to do you must repect how well they were at swaying the masses. There in may be vfx's view of inspiration but I am just guessing. Again I am not saying they should be admired. In no way at all.

MJV
03-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Man, you're definition of great leader is polar opposite of mine. :surprised

pongball
03-15-2005, 05:38 AM
the distinct smell of my dog's farts inspire me.

BillSpradlin
03-15-2005, 05:49 AM
I get inspired by Ferrari 360 Spyders.

jschleifer
03-15-2005, 06:36 AM
what inspires me?

http://www.keithlango.com/
http://persistenceofvision.blogspot.com/
http://sewardstreet.com/
http://www.animationmentor.com

among others. :)

NrgJake
03-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Dada, Scandinavian Literature, and Cookies!!!

Farsh
03-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Movies, video games, the work of other artists...

UnknownArtist
03-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Man, you're definition of great leader is polar opposite of mine. :surprised

MJV: I am not using the word great as in an a positive fashion, per se. When I use this term I mean great as in an individual that aside from his horrible actions, was a leader that moved millions into doing what he wanted. He was a great public speaker and was able to lead people into the worse things that can possibly done. So there in lies my reason for the word.

jschleifer: Interesting links.

Mysterious X
03-15-2005, 07:23 AM
i have a fishbone in my balcony and a mummified scorpion on top of my monitor..and some cafe del mar music :thumbsup:

Chango
03-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Our beautiful scandinavian nature - Beer & old beerhouses - Our ancestors -The Vikings ! :)

Quistis
04-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Music, movies, games, ... mostly are my inspiration games. All the cool worlds and designs... yay, I want to live in a game. :)

Quistis
04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I think that games inspire me the most.
All the wonderfull worlds and designs... *sigh* I want to live in a game.

lotaH
04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Poetry, music and sex! :)

StephanD
04-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Ouch!

Keep that one for your next cg-job interview,the negociations WILL be short.

TraceR
04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Ouch!

Keep that one for your next cg-job interview,the negociations WILL be short.

hahaha, yea, I don't think that will go over very well. :deal:

LotaH: LOL

pongball
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Capturing my most volatile of farts underpressure in glass jars serve to inspire me at my weakest moments. Well actually, releasing the lids do that.

It's a fatally intoxicating experience.

lotaH
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
LotaH: LOL

It's real! I paint and drawing very good, post sex+poetry+music.!!!

[]'s

TraceR
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Capturing my most volatile of farts underpressure in glass jars serve to inspire me at my weakest moments. Well actually, releasing the lids do that.

It's a fatally intoxicating experience.

OMG this is getting funny. Another thing that is just out of this world is lighting them. That does a great job on the inspiration side. (Not that I have ever done it.) :scream:

LadyMedusa
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll make a little list.
-Music.
-Other artists work.
-Movies. Fantasy, historic, movies whit that magical feel.
-Dreams, alltho' by some odd reason I seem to be able to only remember my nighmares latly.
-Rain, that either enspires me or gives me an artblock

jmBoekestein
04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
A big green bed of moss as soft as a pillow surrounded by trees more than a hundred years old, slightly lit by sundown warm light, which has a million flying insects dancing in it.

Saw something similar yesterday and made me feel like leaving mankind at the B-side and wondering of for ever. Sounds like a sob story doesn't it?:)

yonna
04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
* taking a little walk that boring that you start wandering in your head
* or run your lungs out for at least 30 minutes, take a shower and let the dopamine do the work

ashakarc
04-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Solitude !

jmBoekestein
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Get outta here!!! Really?:scream:

2xbo
04-12-2005, 04:41 PM
List N:

* Mexican food.
* Chili
* Some helpful guys
* Sport
* take a shower
* Cookies
* talk with other guys (i think this one is the most important)
* and a nice girl (of course.....obviously)

xbo :scream:
CHEERS :bounce:

yonna
04-12-2005, 06:24 PM
anyone got experience as drugs as an source of inspiration? Such as alcohol, tobacco, cannabis or stronger drugs? I never tried anything except for alcohol on occassion. I hear a lot of crap stories about getting really creative when you are stoned but in my view you either get extremely apathic or just confused.

NOOB!
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
strangly...my digital art is inspired by animation,and my animation is inspired by digital art.

aaahhH!!

pascal_blanche
04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
music..

most of the time:
classic music: Wagner and Bach,
movie soundtracks: Alien, Conan,Dune, planet of the apes (old one),
Industrial music: Namanax.

jmBoekestein
04-12-2005, 09:28 PM
anyone got experience as drugs as an source of inspiration? Such as alcohol, tobacco, cannabis or stronger drugs? I never tried anything except for alcohol on occassion. I hear a lot of crap stories about getting really creative when you are stoned but in my view you either get extremely apathic or just confused.

hallucinogenics can do it, but only if you can take it. And you'll have to memorise everything you see. I have a poor tolerance for cannabis myself. But alcohol seems to help a lot of musicians, since it makes you more emotional. But that's just pop songs I'm talking about.

And lastly I'm not saying go use drugs, blame yourself afterwards.

ashakarc
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Drugs do not inspire, they expire !!

highsk8
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
for me its love, hate, pain, fear and bieuty.

highsk8
04-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Cannabis has a different effect on different people.
It gives me tons of inspiration, well, actualy being stoned on its own doesnt.
You still have to find the inspiration, but man it goes easy while stoned ^^

But still be carefull, it works on the mood alot.
If you for example use while scared it gets alot worse!
Tough that also being the reason of increased inspiration dont do it and IF you ever decide to use it, only do it with a relaxed happy mood.

Oh, and every drug harder then that is ****ed, including overuse of alcohol.
You do never do anything you wouldnt do while stoned of canabis (regular), but with other drugs or alcohol...

fantasy_queen
04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Cgtalk.com really inspires me. :thumbsup:

AmbiDextrose
04-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Music. It doesn't have to be anything specific, it just has to move me in some way. I remember when I was back in college, I wrote an entire short story about a preist in WWI who became a soldier after his brother was killed in combat and ended up converting a captured Turkish officer- all that after hearing one song: 'Miles' by Sponge. At the core, I'm really a storyteller and 3D is just the media I ue to express this.

Franco.ku
04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Looking at your avatars inspire me. Seriously, sometimes because they're so small you dont know what you're looking at. Your mind fills in the gaps and you end up seeing something thats completely different, until you look closer that is. Its the same with looking at thumbnails of pictures.

But yeah music is what really inspires me. Anything that sounds good, but really only music without words.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.