PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray

EckoModeler
09-22-2002, 02:34 AM
:shrug:
Hi, I'm new to renderers with global illumination and caustics, right now I'm trying to use mental ray. I have no idea what I'm doing, and nothing seems to be working. Could somebody just tell me what a basic setup is for a GI scene so I can at least get in the right direction?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

EckoModeler

sean_G
09-29-2002, 04:23 PM
check out www.edharriss.com

slice56
09-30-2002, 05:44 AM
i just followed that tut to the T, and I cannot get it to work. Im using maya, and that was for softimage. Anyone out there know of a tutorial for mental ray for maya? i really need to know how to do this. Ive tried everything, even followed the vague "help for mental ray for maya" tuts, but i just cant get it to work. Can ne1 help me out?

keops
10-19-2002, 09:43 PM
What do you wanna know exactly??

-wT-
10-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I think you're talking abvout caustics, slice56?

The first thing you should make sure, is to change the "Reflected Color" (Or what was it's name?) setting to something OTHER than pure black, at the shaders options.
If it's black, the photons just die when they hit the surface, so no caustics will appear to matter what you do.

stunndman
10-27-2002, 01:25 AM
try the tutorials on this page - http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/mentalray.shtml

mikeS
11-06-2002, 08:54 PM
hi guys,to setup a gi scene is not that hard , but it is a bit confusing.For global illumination you need at least one light in the scene and you have to switch on emit photons and adjust it like you want ( i recommend to read through mental ray help before adjusting). you also have to select every object which you want to be illuminated and go to the attribute editor(you are using maya or?)and deactivate derive from maya and activate the other ones . Finally you have to go to the mental ray globals and switch to preview gi in the render options.And do not forget to switch on final gathering it is very important !!Thats it, but i also recommend to read through any tutorials for more accurate describtions.
good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.