PDA

View Full Version : Animation: DroidFight

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 12:04 AM
Hi!

It's been one of these project you never seam to find time to finish.
To break my streak of unfinished projects I forced myself to complete this one..
I'm both curious and worried about what you think of it:-))

Obs! There is no sound yet!!!

here is the link: http://www.pigbelly.com/mpg4_droidfightsound.avi

You will be needing Divx4: www.divx.com

Thanks
/Tommie
http://medlem.spray.se/pigbelly/
grisbuken@hotmail.com

Taoizm
09-22-2002, 12:44 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :applause:

That's a really great piece. Motion wise it's very tight, and well done. My only crit would be the lighting. For my taste you need some more fill light.

Excellent work!!

lildragon
09-22-2002, 12:56 AM
That's just superb animation bud :thumbsup: even without sound it conveyed the skit very nicely. COngrats [plugged]

skunk184
09-22-2002, 12:59 AM
I liked it very much ...very nice animation and i was blown away by the 2d stuff on your site

great work man
:beer:
craig

Joebount
09-22-2002, 01:06 AM
Really impressive ! very nice work !:thumbsup:

Nikodemus
09-22-2002, 01:10 AM
:applause::thumbsup: :applause: << those say it all! AMAZING animation you did there!.... just superb... it was all so well thought out.. rections/counter reactions.. great jump
i laughed at a few parts cause it was so good... great work!!
:cool:

gaggle
09-22-2002, 01:44 AM
AHAHhaehahahha ROFL, lol, wow nice work man. The absolutly only thing I noticed on my run through it was that, after he gets knocked to the ground he does a very cartoony jump to get back up, and it seems to me that he lands a little short of where I think such a jump would place him. I just get the feeling his feet slides a little.. It's very tiny, and it's easily just a choice you made, and my opinion differs slightly. If my explanation doesn't make sense yell out, I'll capture the frame and do some nasty Photoshop work.

It's a great great KICKASS piece this here thing, very good work. Very tight movements, all the poses and such fully reads as far as I'm concerned. Lol the way he gets crushed in the end. LOL coddamit!, LOL! :)

Add sound to make it one of those masterpieces that floats around on the net, making people laugh upon contact :)

Oh and in no way will I stop you from mentioning some behind-the-scenes stuff things.. like.. the program used, wireframes, the ups and downs of the whole thing. Please, do spill your guts :)

otacon
09-22-2002, 01:50 AM
Nice!:thumbsup: Excellent render, textures, and modeling.

bentllama
09-22-2002, 04:19 AM
Nice work. Overall a great piece...

SheepFactory
09-22-2002, 06:23 AM
is this hand animated or mocap?

if its hand animated , my hats off to you , its one of the smoothest animated characters i have ever seen.

really funny piece !

oh and , how long did it take to complete ?

AFU
09-22-2002, 06:35 AM
thats super hot, no worries man, u got a cool story and great animation, good thing u finished it.

froggyplat
09-22-2002, 07:12 AM
omg, can i please see some more "cow laughing"? :beer:

super robot animation! hope to hear it with sound/music soon. keep it up.

danRod
09-22-2002, 08:42 AM
I would like to say that this animation is badass!!!!!
I really like the gestures of the body movements as the character walks and jabs. The quick spring up from the floor was excellent!!! Very nice job. Now, just get some freakn sound man!!! that would top it off!!

Ok, another thing. I havent been so motivated when looking at 2d work since Feng Zhu and Travis Charest. But you man.............
.....Have really got some 2d skills. I love the cover art and the character designs!!! The big guy with the hammer kicksass!!!!!

I cant wait to see more!!!:beer: :surprised :eek: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

rsalonen
09-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Hey man this one certainly rocks! It's so fun, with some sound this could be even better, these cartoony sounds would fit pretty well.

Ser att du är från Sverige också, kul med fler svenskar "ombord" ;)

D. Phoenix
09-22-2002, 09:11 AM
That is a very creative piece of work. Both robots seem to emote something through their movements, even the little ball robot.

Well done.

-D. Phoenix

fishbone
09-22-2002, 09:37 AM
great work! seen some wips of it before i think, didn't exactly get any worse when you rendered it.. :)
after watching it several times the only thing that i find a little off is when he is pushing the "droid" back, somethings not right in ther interaction there, but besides that.. great work!

Jed
09-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Oh man that's awesome ! Is that Pepe's rig ? It's really incredible !
I can see a couple things that could be fixed, though, and that would make it super awesome. First I would add a little floating movement to the little robot, so that it would appear to hover in the air more. It looks okay when it moves but there are times when it just stays in place perfectly while it should be floating. Second, I personnaly still can't really figure out which hand crushes the litlle droid, even after watching it several times. So maybe you could adjust the arm movement at that particular time because I think it's too fast. But it's still very dynamic as is, so I guess it's just my personal taste.
But otherwise it's great, man. A real pleasure to watch.

The Magic Pen
09-22-2002, 10:36 AM
awesome animaton ..the modeling and the whole demo is 5 stars !!

Carlocki
09-22-2002, 10:44 AM
too beauty :eek:

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Hey!
And thank you all for the great comments and tips on improvement.
I hope that the soundmix I'm planning for the animation will make it a bit better..

As for the animation:
It's done in Maya and it's all hand keyed....god forbid that I would use mocap:-)).

It's kind of hard to estimate the production time, because it was done in my after work time.
But.......3-4 weeks (you should probably add a couple of days/weeks to that equation:-)))

To: Taoizm
Yes you are right, it's poorly lit. But I'm not that good on lights:-(. I will work on that!

To: lildragon
Thanks for the link:-))

To: skunk184
Thanks it will be more 2D stuff up shortly

To: gaggle
Right...the feet moves, but I was hoping no one would notice:-((
Thanks.-))))))

To: Sheep Factory
no mocap.....wouldn't now how:-))

to: froggyplat
There will be sound.....soon:-) And there will be more CowStuff:-))

To: danRod
Cool...those guys are great...and thanks for letting me motivate you:-))

To: Jed
Left hand Jed, left hand:-)) I agree with you on the littleDroid but not entirely on the crushing hand.....I generally have a problem with making things move to slow, so maybe I overcompensated this time...jeezz didn't I just said that I didn't agree:-))) man I'm to soft.-)
Very nice stuff on your site, man!
Pepe's rig???

To: Nikodemus
haha...that's great man because as you already know a good laugh makes you live longer.-))

To: hellrender
Very nice site!!!

To:Veqtue
In swedish:-) Japp, fler svensson:ar är aldrig fel:-))

Well that's that!! Hope you understand my homemade English!
Again thanks !!
/Tommie

http://medlem.spray.se/pigbelly/
grisbuken@hotmail.com

xcxcw7
09-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Great !

What is your system feature ? ram , vga , cpu ,etc.

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 01:41 PM
System:

1,4 gighertz
512ram
FireGL 2
3 harddisks (to store all the bad test animations:-))

Not that impressive:-)) but it works:-)

/Tommie

Mandrake
09-22-2002, 02:12 PM
Hey Tommie! I really like to see you're good animator also!!
Really good work. I got couple of constructive crits but it
would take me some time to go through it frame by frame
so I'll post it latter. Good job. Cheers

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 02:17 PM
jeeeze!!

Frame by frame! That's hard man:-))

/Tommie

Mandrake
09-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Opps I didnt mean to go through the whole piece frame by
frame, just the parts that I think could be better ;)

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 02:32 PM
phu!!!

:-))

/Tommie

pabbloz
09-22-2002, 05:20 PM
excelent job! :thumbsup:
haven't you though in a version with camera movement? :rolleyes:

AndrewBlodgett
09-22-2002, 06:03 PM
:applause: Nice work -- try playing with the camera a bit - to help draw your audience into the moment --- plus with the camera holding at a almost constant long shot - it is hard to always make out what is going on. ;)

ryguy
09-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Animation is great, again you've done a nice job.

I do agree the piece needs some camera cuts, that would make your short flow together nicely.

Keep it coming!

~Ryan

pigbelly
09-22-2002, 08:57 PM
I see your point(s)

But:-) here comes the explanation:-))

My aim was to show as much animation as possible!
That's what I want my show reel to show:-)

So if I felt that if I would "cut" up the animation to much the display of movement would be lost!
I wasn't even sure I should have the three clips that I have:-)

Now I could do two versions....hmmmm...:-)?

/Tommie

pabbloz
09-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Yes... when I suggested you about camera movement.. I though some of these awesome animations would be losten... and I know your aim is show them... so it wouldn't be very efficent with this way....

but anyway.. I think a second version with these camera cuts would be great for show this animations in contests or other things... and after your work... that would be not really difficult for you :)

and maybe some other kind of post-production... :rolleyes:
... maybe I'm asking too much! :wip:

Frinsklen
09-22-2002, 11:27 PM
That's great, man. Really good animation skills.

Why is the camera so far? I think the camera is not correctly placed, it shows the entire room and as a consequence, the characters are too far, in my opinion. I dont mean you have to move it around in a cool way. Just place it closer to the characters.

I dont want to sound picky, but some sound effects would help a lot, like when the small ball-robot shakes gets upset, for instance.

keep it up. I cant wait for more!
Greetings

stephen2002
09-22-2002, 11:31 PM
that is REALLY funny.

There are no immeidate flaws in the animaiton. Some of the movements by the standing droid at the start lack weight.

Good job.

erwin1978
09-23-2002, 12:32 AM
What painting software did you use to color your 2D artworks?

Artifex
09-23-2002, 04:50 AM
Very nice anymation, my crit would be that you don't have enouf camera angles. The still camera is boring, I thinkyou need more close up of the principal actions and multiple views of the basic thing. Other then that superb work on the animation!

P.S. I havent read the replys to your thread so I hope I'm not repeting stuff you allready heard to much. :)

pigbelly
09-23-2002, 06:03 AM
I'm using PhotoShop for texturing!

/Tommie

arvid
09-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Nice stuff Tommie :)

( wee!! mer svenskar!! :beer: :cool: )

maelstrom
09-23-2002, 09:09 AM
excellent, nothing to complain about! :applause:

visually flawless, entertaining "story", cartoony animation with a good feeling of weight. i love it! :thumbsup:

Pegasus
09-23-2002, 09:13 AM
JUST A PERFECT JOB!

I love it.... :thumbsup:

Lorenzo
09-23-2002, 04:46 PM
nothing to say to your work, just maybe change the "white" color of your web page thats flash in the eyes.
All the rest is great.:thumbsup: :applause:

pigbelly
09-23-2002, 07:25 PM
hehehe!!

Sure....all that will be fixed when my new web page will be online....I just have to finish it:-)))

/Tommie

sci_fi_808b
09-23-2002, 09:27 PM
Wow!
This was very well done! I personally like the lighting!
There is always a bigger fish, huh!
Best
sci_fi_808b
:thumbsup:

Congratulate...Don't Player Hate!

visualasylum
09-23-2002, 10:08 PM
PigBelly very very impressive work!! Keep that up!

just a small constructive crit:

Try to add some nice camera shot at certain section too accentuate the motions/emotions/movements etc. I know that you're not done yet, and that's why I'm advising you whenever you have a chance to checkout Blur studios' Robot animation as an example. Also you can even checkout Jackie Chan's movie for
creative camera angles, and perhaps many other movies.

Another advise, If you want to make your own sounds effects, try using a program called REASON, it has a nice sampler that gives you allot of freedom in creating your sounds. Also there's a collection of Hanna Barbera Sound effects, that should give you allot of choices.

About the light, I think the light is not bad, perhaps some adjustments, but when you have all your camshots and angles, then you could make your adjustments, and perhaps what mood you are trying to achieve.

Please let us know when this is finished. Can't wait.
Have Fun.

cheers,

Greg LaClé
--------------------------
Visualasylum Studios

belly80naz
09-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Beautiful work!!! :eek:

What's the software You used for to do it ?

pigbelly
09-24-2002, 12:34 PM
Maya!

/Tommie

Sand of Norway
09-24-2002, 12:54 PM
High!

Just wanted to say: Cool Animation, man! Great humour, great movements and nice lights/surroundings! The sounds should make the movie into a complete and brilliant work of 3DArt!

Keep up the downforce!

Greets from

Sand of Norway:cool:

Ps. Anyone heard of the new revolutionary 3D-software called Maxyaxsi 245? Its gonna be great!!! :thumbsup:

redrash
09-24-2002, 07:32 PM
great job....i would like to see some more camera angles...to help tell the story in a more dynamic way.

love the animation.

visualasylum
09-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey is that the default Maya rendering engine? Or did you use another renderer?

I heard the default rendering of Maya is not that good. that's why I am asking you. I use mostly MAX and XSI.

Greg

pigbelly
09-24-2002, 08:53 PM
My plan was to use MentalRay but it doesn't render subD Surfaces.

So I got stuck with Maya's original!
It's not that bad:-)

Unfortunately it lacks radiosity and caustic.
Yes! Mental ray and renderman can both be used but they don't come cheap! :-)

I'm a bit interested in Softimage, but I need to find some time to learn it:-))

/Tommie

ME3D
09-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Great motion and theme for the short!
Just wanted to say a bit about the renderer. I believe the quality is there in the native although its pretty hard to find and thus it gets alot of flak. But possibly some of the veterans would like to tell a few tricks to speed up the learning curve for ya?
initial contribution:
from the render globals set the Antialiasing to production to begin with. Check multipixel filtering "on" and set it to Quadratic bspline with 3.00 for both settings.
Also check out the www.lightengine3d.com site. RayDiffuse 2.0 will be out soon and it is becoming more and more like a renderer the more I look at its capabilities. More later?
I must admit the learning curve for this does take several years on your own so ask for help. I should ask more often myself.
ME3D

SirManfred
09-26-2002, 09:38 AM
Bwaahahaha! MAN that was cool. Great animating, man!
Keep the good work up :)

Ps. Det verkar vara många Svenskar som gillar att 3d:a

JasonA
09-27-2002, 06:37 AM
That animation is really well done! excellent emotion in the humanoid droid. The hand animating is most impressive, although the leap up off his back did seem a bit fast. I agree also on the little driod being completely motionless sometimes... that did stand out a bit.

Still it was very humorous and the movements were executed very well. Nice models, and textures too. Definietly a top notch addition to a demo reel! Can't wait to watch a version with sound :airguitar

CaptFlushGarden
09-29-2002, 07:30 PM
I don't think it's half bad :)
just kidding, if you didn't already know, I'm not a veryt serious person, that's why I'm LOL'ing at those smileys to the left of this text window...

To the animation:

I've been hovering around you since the very beginning of this animation project, I remember the first time you showed me screenshots of the very well designed hand of the robot, it's very logical and I really think you should post some detail screens of the robot.

Even though there's no sound in this animation it seems that I can play up my own sounds in my head, it's an animation that gives me loads of inspiration, and it's got humor, so it makes me laugh! the only thing I can crit is the "kung-fu jump up from the floor after getting a blow in the stomach" I think the feet should touch the ground about half a meter futher forward, but I dunno, I might be wrong.

I don't know what more I should say, to me it looks splendid, go high and send this animation to all the hot shotz over the sea!

All the best to you Papi Tommie!

Your main Bitch,

Salvatore "Guida la vespa" Liberto

Michael Chen
02-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Hay I want to see the animation :)

But the link is broken :annoyed: Have you disabled it?

If you have then can you relink it again plz :D

Akuma
02-19-2003, 03:53 AM
404!

pigbelly
02-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the broken link info...
It's fixed now! :
http://www.pigbelly.com/mpg4_droidfightsound.avi

If you still encounter problems the animation amongst other can be found at:
www.pigbelly.com

Thanks
/Tommie

frameless
02-19-2003, 02:42 PM
hey really great animation and very funny. Especially the end is unexpected and cool. You have also done a good job on the animation. It looks very authentic. great job, pigbelly :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chesky Wang
02-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Impressive. it is very funny.
one thing is when the mother robot-ball(let me call it like this :)) come in, the first scene, looks the shadow that make me feel she should at the upside of the man-like robot, but next shot she was just side. I don't know.
I accessed your page, there also have many amazing works! I love your texture works. very funny and unique style. Keep it up! :beer:

Michael Chen
02-20-2003, 12:20 AM
The animations' pretty funny :D

Great work :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.