PDA

View Full Version : maya fluid using renderman

XDoberman
03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Hello i'm wondering if anyone known the steps for rendering maya fluid using renderman.

rendermaniac
03-12-2005, 08:10 AM
The easiest way is to drive a particle system with your fluid and then render the particles. If you want "proper" volumetric fluids or 2D fluids you'll have to write it yourself.

Simon

XDoberman
03-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks pal i'll try this. Well any resource right there about steps for writing volumetric fluids system using renderman. May be i could give it a try on free days.

rendermaniac
03-12-2005, 11:10 PM
This should give you some ideas http://www.dctsystems.co.uk/RenderMan/smoke.html

Simon

tweeeker
03-19-2005, 09:52 AM
If your using prman 12, I would start by using the maya api to get the density values from the fluid grid and baking these into a pointcloud. Then all you need is a simple raymarcher to do pointcloud lookups and you should have a fairly accurate density representation.

If you don't have access to a renderer with a pointcloud format then there will be more work cause your gonna have to write your own data structures for efficient gathering of denisty (and other) values from the grid.

Then there's just the task of matching all of maya's glorious noise variations.... maybe start with perlin as that is the most standard (and most useful).

T

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2005, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.