PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance programs, do they really boost up system performance?

-NG-
03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
And then i mean programs like Norton Systemworks, Ad Aware, Spybot enz enz. Do apps like speed disk, win docter,(Systemworks keep your system clean and fast? Are they recommended? Discuss it, and give your personal oppinion.

imashination
03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Those are different programs for different uses. The spyware apps are essential to keep a modern system running. the norton type apps are (in my humble opinion) complete junk, almost always causing more problems than they solve.

sundialsvc4
03-11-2005, 11:54 PM
The most important thing is to make sure that you are running your computer as "an ordinary Joe." Not as an Administrator, but simply a limited-user. All of the modern OSes provide these core features, but generally they are switched-off in default installations.

In the good ol' days of timesharing, there was a bright line drawn between what logged-on users could do and "the system itself." You could monkey with your own files, but not your neighbors' and certainly not the system. Yet PC users routinely operate as the all-privileged masters of their machines, go to web-sites that can execute arbitrary code on the machine ... and because the executing user is an administrator, anything goes! :eek: In the world of timesharing, a system like that would not have lasted fifteen minutes.

Strong security features exist. Learn them and use them. If a virus-program attempts to do something nasty ... no matter how it happened ... the computer itself must be able to "just say No." (Which is easier... to post a hundred guards around a door you don't want opened, or to just lock the darned thing?)

"Hi there! You don't know me, but I'd like to modify the system regis..."
Ka-ZAP! "Nice try, chomper! By the way, you're dead now."

Any modern system can do it. Learn how. :)

Hazdaz
03-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Apps that run only once and check your system for viruses/spyware (such as Adaware) are great... programs that run all the time in the background and suck up your resources are crap (the sole exception is possibly anti-virus apps).

JDex
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
999 times out of 1000 in my experience... if an app says it will make your system better, it will in fact make it worse. I have yet to find an app that runs in the background and monitors your system that doesn't hinder your system's performance and/or muck things up.

Anti Virus apps that monitor your system are pretty much a must have. If you use Firefox, "active" spyware apps are pretty useless (use them for periodic cleaning not realtime protection)... everything else including System Restore type apps/services are a flippin waste of time and CPU cycles.

Hazdaz
03-12-2005, 12:41 AM
"everything else including System Restore type apps/services are a flippin waste of time and CPU cycles."
... and one more piece of software that can crash or cause conflicts with your other software or hardware. Just Say No.

petmoi
03-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Hmm, the only application I know of that actually seems to work is O&O CleverCache Pro.. great little memory manager. My computer seems to run so much smoothly now... then again, at the same time, I dumped Norton Antivirus and installed NOD32 instead, so it could be that.

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2005, 07:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.