PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Camerawork training

denis_the_menace
03-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Check out http://hollywoodcamerawork.us/ - some pretty good stuff in a 6-DVD set.

drdespair
03-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree.. it look realy nice.. so nice.. that I ordered it and now waiting for it! Umm.. by the way.. for the wallet aware .. a certain other cg(the thing between England and France).com site.. have a 30% discount on it.

DorkmanScott
03-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I own this and it's worth every penny.

If you want to make films -- even if you think you already know how -- you need to get this.

90% of the industry -- the FILM industry, not just the CG industry -- knows next to nothing about camera work. It's what separates the great modern visual filmmakers like Spielberg, Tarantino, Jackson, and the Wachowskis (keeping in mind I'm only talking about visual style) from, well, everyone else. If anything, most of the lesser filmmakers copy the style of these better talents without having any idea when, where, or why to use the techniques properly (Paul W.S. Anderson, I'm looking at you).

If you need more convincing, check out the samples on the website.

M. Scott

bblackbourn
03-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I'll second (third?) that - the HCW's masterclass DVD set is a must have reference for any film maker.

Brad

maop
03-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Hey, I read this thread and kind of didn't believe these dvd's were that good. Wen't to their website, and 15 minutes later I was placing the order :) Good thing I got teacher's discount!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Maop
(mah ohp)

drdespair
03-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Well.. got the DVD's just finished watching the first one on stationary blocking. As someone who comes in with almost no understanding of cinematic composition, short of the thirds rule, Iíve been able to pick up quite a lot of interesting information and techniques. My only complaint is that for a beginner it goes quite fast through the basics, but then again its a master course so no surprise there. I will write some more feedback once I look through the other DVD's! What would have been great is to package this series with a some sort of 3d storyboarding tool, so you could practice the setups without having to use normal 3d software to setup the practice scenes, like I am doing with XSI.

mockingbird
03-20-2005, 05:52 PM
drdespair maop (http://member.php?u=109075) post up a review soon please, im wanting this DVD set too, but have to know how useful it is before splassing out so much money on it!

DorkmanScott
03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
drdespair maop (http://member.php/?u=109075) post up a review soon please, im wanting this DVD set too, but have to know how useful it is before splassing out so much money on it!

It is the best purchase you will ever make. It will teach you how to do things with a camera you never thought of, and the things you've thought of, you'll do better.

M. Scott

XEngineer
03-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Is there a discount for students? I couldn't seem to find it on the website....

visionist
03-26-2005, 09:15 PM
So What is the teacher discount for the 6dvd set?

~~Visionist~~

FatAssasin
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
I just talked my art director into buying this set for the company. I work on cinematics at Gas Powered Games and I'm really looking forward to being able to bring our in-game and pre-rendered movies to the next level.

Has anyone with Maya downloaded the camera setup? I was just wondering what was in the scene exactly, and how the camera is rigged. I'm sure I can build something similar in Max.

bblackbourn
03-27-2005, 03:19 PM
the rig is quite simple & should be easily replicated in MAX.

the idea of cam rigs is basically to constrain the camera movement, so that you can't move the camera around ad hoc - you decide on the axis of the "tracks", you can pan, tilt, boom up or around, dolly forward back etc.

the limitations force you to think about your camera plan & because of the physical constraints on the camera itself, the camera moves inevitably start to resemble live action.

the major difference in working with the camera in a rig setup is that you don't tend to manipulate the camera through the camera viewport window with the normal camera controls/hotkeys. Rather you manipulate each axis/movement separately via connected/linked controls (like a remote head on set).

So initially it can be frustrating if you're used to trucking, orbiting & zooming around with hotkeys etc to setup your cameras....

good luck,
Brad

digikris
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I ordered it http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.