PDA

View Full Version : What is the most low-priced "usable" videocard for me?

Lystmaler
03-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I curently got an Ati Radeon 9200, and I don't think that it'll last long on big 3d scenes.
My sister got a similair card, only marked Nvidia

My 3D app is Maya, I got a Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHz.
1 BG ram.

My sister, also using Maya, got an AMD Athlon XP 2.1 GHz with also 1 GB ram.

Bout of uss are using Windows for OS.

Etherway, I would like to know the name of the "lowest" card you people would sugest for serious 3d modelling.

Vertizor
03-11-2005, 04:05 PM
You'll have a much easier time figuring this out if you just take a few moments and decide how much money you can or want to spend. Then go from there. Because right now what you're saying is really broad and open ended. We need a number, as in how much money to spend. Technically, if the video card supports OpenGL then it's "good enough." That's according to Alias' min. system requirements. http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/system_requirements.shtml

Lystmaler
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
I have plenty of cash, how much I am willing to spend is only an issue of the card cost to much, wether or not it cost to much is only an issue after I know the price and how much it will improve the workflow.

Hmm... Well, my sister's computer did freeze and it do meet Maya's minimum requirements.
Maby the fact that she had only 512 ram by that time could be the problem?

How exactly will it change Maya's will to colaborate if a better card culd help it out?

jbo
03-11-2005, 07:02 PM
what are you looking to do in maya... how complex will your models and textures be... how well do you expect a card to perfom? we need to know these things before offering a suggestion. generally speaking, nvidia cards will perform better in maya than comparable ati cards. (I'm not an nvidia fanboy, i would recommend ati for most other things). your sisters computer freezing likely has nothing to do with the video card.

Neptunes
03-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I doubt 512MB of ram is the reason why her system froze.

There are several other possibilities unless you can specify that it happened
more then once under very similar circumstances. But 512MB is good, more is
better of course.

For your videocard, well I hear good things about the nVidia 6600 GT cards.

You can even look into the 6800GT or 6800U.

What are your system specs by the way?

lots
03-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Athlon XP 2.1 GHz with also 1 GB ram.
I'm assuming you mean the Athlon XP 2100+? That runs at 1.73 GHz ...

Anyway, Here are the price ranges:

Geforce 6600GT (AGP version, which I assume is what you need) will generally cost around $200-$250. The PCIe version costs around $180. But since you dont likely have PCIe, doesnt sound like you would, you'll have to go with the AGP version

Geforce 6800GT is around $380, and is roughly equal to double the performance of the 6600GT, at least in most cases (video game benchmarks :P).

Geforce 5900XT, fairly cheap, $150 or less I believe, should give better performance than what you have, how much better depends on how complex your models are.

If you guys are just starting out, most anything you model shouldnt stress your systems very much at all. If you have been at it for quite some time, then maybe its time to think of a hardware upgrade.

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2005, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.