PDA

View Full Version : selection from z-buffer

cornel
03-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi there !
I have massive problems in making a selection (for applying effects) from a z-buffer rendering.
Means, no idea how to make!

More details:
The z-buffer was saved as greyscale tif-sequence made from Cinema4D camera-data.
Worked fine.
Now I try to convert that greyscale-gradient images to an selection or use it as mask somehow.

I know I could precomp that z-layer and use compound blur.
But depth of field it's not what I want, I want to use other effects on that depth-data!

Any ideas ?

using aftereffects 6.5 prof

Tommi
03-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Beat me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe that most of the plugins operate on 2D information. The exceptions are those which explicitly do their magic on the additional depth channel.

Maybe you could apply the tif-sequence of the depth information as an alpha mask to the actual image sequence and then apply the effects of your choice on top of that. But I'm not sure whether that's the thing you want to do... I think you need to tell us what you actually want to have as a result... :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2005, 11:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.