PDA

View Full Version : How this can be made in After Effects

Pretorian
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
A guy here in CGTalk made this http://kisd.de/~krystian/kehrseite.avi and I was wondering how this can be made in After Effects?

Thanks

ww667
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
All that is done by using 3d layers and cameras.
It is not the hardes effect but looks good when dome correct.
Well any way look up 3d layers and cameras, you can find some tutorials online.
After you learn that you won't have a problem creating animation like that.
Small tip to get shapes properly (dont have a rectangle boh around every shape use alpha channels.
As a tif files. When importing them to after effects it will promt you with dialog ;)

Pretorian
03-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I agree with you, seems it's not the hardes effect, but I guess it needs more work then technique, isn't it?

I'm not a pro but I know how 3D layers and cameras work in After Effects :) . I guess :) I know!

More or less I know how this is made, the problem is how to do. Example, moving from the soldiers to the chess pieces with the fingers? The band show to the CD cover? Because it looks more like a 3D scene (as I know there's no 3D on it) with some comp work on it, and showing the layers and hidding. Isn't it?

I mean, how to have the same format, the soldier has the format of a chess piece?

What do you mean by having the shapes with alpha, you mean by ajusting the masks formats?

Thanks

ww667
03-10-2005, 10:33 PM
well okey about solgers.
It is done my having frame by frame animation, the guy had like a sequence of images.
That is how i may do it. You know frame by frame and when you see it fast playing it looks like anim. Well you may do it by camera mapping what is even harder ;)
So about band it is still a 3d layer with camera paming out to see the top layer witch is stage with cower hend and other stuff.
it is like
[[layers]]
1 hand stage
2 text
3 band
and canera is paming out from close up of band to revile all stage.
I hope this helps ;0)

and yes sorry for crapy spelling.
PS: i don't have an idea what the hell i'm talking baout ;)

Pretorian
03-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Don't worry! :)

Camera mapping I have to confess that I don't know. Hmm, you're not talking about tracking or something so, are you?

The band scene you have explained I could understand, but the soldiers I got a little confused on that.

How they made a 3D scene look? Because it looks like if made with a 3D program, no?

I will try to do it and see what I can get from it.

Are you comp artist?

ww667
03-11-2005, 02:14 AM
huh how i see it i will need to build an tutorial just to explain that.
Well not in next 3 days i have 12 days at work.
May be on monday.
That tutorial is a bit more tan just opening after effects and capturing wazup.
Well i will try to rexpres myself for now.
Okey what you see there is the same 3d layer, but it is a bit more complex aj there is realy i think 9 of them.
3 for a front finger 3 for a ches and 3 for a back finger, or may be even more.
So what are they they are the same image just from a bit diferent angle perspective call it what you want.
So and what they do they just blend with each other.
What i meen by that is that first shows and starts to disolv and second to apear, after that the same with third.
It is just like a disolving image over image of animation witch is giving you that effect

Pretorian
03-11-2005, 02:31 AM
If I say I didn't like the idea of you building a tutorial for this, I will be lieing to you :) !

The truth is that I didn't thought on giving that heavy trouble to you, but, if you wanna do that, I will thank you a lot :thumbsup: !

Feel free to do it, if you want, but let me know when you have it ready ;) !

What you have explained seems to be not to hard, and I understood it. The point is to make it, you know? I will try and see what I get, and let you know how it went out. The case is that as I saw, most of the shots have already been filmed in that way. You must have the apropried material for that.

Anyway, I will try it.

As I asked before, are you a comp artist?

Keep cool!

ww667
03-11-2005, 02:37 AM
lol am I a comp artist - no way i just think that i know how it works and hang out with some desgn guys and girls. On other days i am just a geeky shoplifter (j/k).
But about affter effects well i learned part of them about 2 years ago.
About that tutorial i will need like 2 persoms just to explain and shoot them in depth, but hei i don't think i have any thing better to do any ways, except meetup on monday evning.

Pretorian
03-11-2005, 03:01 AM
I thought you were a comp artist or at least work with After Effects or kind of that! :)

Hmm, "shoplifter", can you explain me what's that as english is not my first language?

Well, if you wanna do that tutorial for fun, wow man, I will like it a lot! :)

So, please, let me know if you have "news" on that, ok?

Keep in touch!

Pretorian
03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Hmm, so, any news? :)

Regards

ww667
03-14-2005, 10:13 PM
ye i'm going for a meet up in 10 min ;)

Pretorian
03-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Maybe we can talk by email? :)

What about? :thumbsup:

As I didn't saw any new post from you I thought that you forgot the thread.

Regards

scrimski
03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
It's not very tricky, it' all about camera movement(very well done anyway) and single picture masking.

It's definitely a lot of work.

Every character, every piece is a masked picture(maybe alpha-matte, using the alpha channel of the bitmap, not sure about that) placed in a After Effects 3d-Composition and a camera flying around. There is absolutely no motion in the pictures, everything is done in AfterEffects.
The main thing is about staging or placing the whole scene in a conveincing way.
This 'effects' with the soldiers turning into chess figures is a result of the camera angle. See if you look at a cut-out picture and turn it around the z-axis, it gets smaller and smaller, until it isn't much visible. They did the same with the soldiers and the other stuff. At the point where the picture 'disappears' (regarding to the lack of depth), there just comes a new shot, refferring to the camera motion, cheating the eye of the viewer. It's well done, sure a lot of work, but it's nothing like inventing a new wheel or something. Try some tutorials on creativecow.net about creating 3D-environments in After Effects, watch this spot over and over gain, frame by frame, analyze that, I think with a bit of time and knowledge about AE you will be able to do like this by yourself .

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.