PDA

View Full Version : Short Character Animation

GRMac13
09-21-2002, 09:17 AM
This is intended to be the intro to my demo reel. I used max 4.2, Photoshop and After Effects. This is my second attempt at character animation so any comments would be really helpful. You'll need DivX to view the animation. www.divX.com

Click on the first thumbnail (the robot's head).

http://www.gregrinaldi.com/gallery2.htm

Sorry I could post a more direct link.

Stimpy
09-30-2002, 08:41 AM
quite nice, i really like the model with his big hands, and the animation looks very good as well...

three things:

1) i dont really like this beige brown background.. makes it look very flat... why not try to make a simple plane that slowly fades off into nothingness to give it a bit more sense of depth

2) at 00:05 the fingers of his right hand go into the ground. this is here very obvious at that point since they are so huge in the foreground.

3) his animation looks rather mixed. he has the tendency to move very fluent like a living creature, and then suddenly freeze completely for half a second like a machine. its not clear to me what kind of style you are going for. human or robot.

GRMac13
09-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Thanx Stimpy, I always loved big hands on cartoon characters.

The background color was sort of an afterthought, I just thought the color contrasted well with the character. Maybe I will at least add a horizon though.

I know about the fingers, that's definately something that I need to fix, I just had to rush to get it done for a class, so I kinda didn't have enough time to tweak things such as that.

As for the "fluid" vs. "robotic" animation. For the most part I'd have to blame my lack of experience. This is only the second time I've tried animating a whole character in 3D. Just so you know, I was actually trying to give him a more human/organic motion, so the jerky/robotic movements are for the most part unintentional. Hopefully I'll be able to go back and fix that one day. As of now, I have too many other projects in the worx. :hmm:

Thanx for the critique

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.