PDA

View Full Version : Good Video Capture card

Animare
09-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Hi,

Im new to the compositioning scene and am currently learning Combustion 2 so bare with me.

I am wanting to get a vid cap card that basically takes video(non-digital) puts it on my computer, then after that allows me to put it back out.

Will the Tagra 3000 Pinnacle card do this? I am not familiar with the jargon and am trying to learn which is why I am asking.

Thanks

Animare
09-21-2002, 08:10 AM
@#$! I just found out how much one of these things cost! Ok...all I am still unclear about finiding a card that just basiaclly gets the video on my PC and then lets me put it back out...without all the real time editing jargon etc...as long as there is minimal quality loss.

Thanks

skidd
09-21-2002, 01:10 PM
dude,
get the Pinnacle DC10, the more simple that i know... +/- U$100,00

Tokion
09-23-2002, 06:36 AM
all u need is a mini dv camera and a firewire card..then u are all set.;)

beenyweenies
09-24-2002, 07:43 PM
My replies tend to get lengthy, so please bear with me...

If you have access to a digital video camera, that would make your life a LOT easier and less costly to boot. It is far easier and cleaner to get a digital signal into a computer than analog, since there is no conversion necessary (explained below), and no signal loss. You may even be better off just renting a digital camera for the day just to have access to lossless footage and a cheaper method of capture.
I just shot a commercial on a higher-end digital camera, and was able to immediately plug it into my computer, download the footage and manipulate it, then output it to video for approval in a few short hours, with nothing more than a firewire card (US $50) and a Geforce ti200 video card (US $150 +-), which has an s-video out connector that can plug right into a standard VCR for output. If you can get your hands on a digital camera, then you can plug the camera right in and import using Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

If you HAVE to use an analog camera, such as hi-8, then you will HAVE to spend some dough if you want decent quality. The age old problem with using computers for processing analog material (audio and video alike) is that it will need to be cleanly converted into a digital signal with as little noise and quality loss as possible. This process is called, you guessed it, analog-to-digital conversion or A/D. Any video capture card SHOULD mention its "A/D conversion sample rate", which basically means how high the quality of the video capture will be. Most consumer-line cards capture at a quality that is virtually unusable for anything even semi-professional, so be warned, cheaper isn't better. The level of conversion quality is tied directly to the quality of the actual A/D converter processor chips used in the card. These are expensive chips, so better cards mean more bucks. Avoid at all costs the so-called "all in one" cards that promise to let you use your computer to watch tv, capture video, wash the dishes and promote world peace all for the low price of $19.95. You WILL regret buying it.

check out these sites for card comparisons, reviews and general info:

http://www.videoguys.com/vidcap.htm

http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/premiere/performance/main.html

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/jump/1,24331,3391754,00.html

If you get stuck or want more info, you can email me at beenyweenies@yahoo.com and I'll answer any questions I can.

Good luck!

PNelson
10-11-2002, 03:51 AM
You've gotta check out the Video Toaster from NewTek.

Uncompressed/Compressed, PAL/NTSC, Progressive Scan/Interlaced, REALTIME, component, Y/C, Composite out for $2,995.00.

There is even a bundle that INCLUDES Digital Fusion or DFX+

http://www.newtek.com/eyeon

See Ya,
Philip Nelson

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.