PDA

View Full Version : Codec issue/tips!

Papigiulio
03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Rendering a small movie today of around 3 minutes. I'm really curious what you guys use as a codec. I've tried almost all of them, and I get either a movie with a quality thats too low or the size is too big when rendering at a higher quality. Never in the middle..

So anyone have any suggestions on what kind of codec to use with what kind of settings for both avi and qt rendering.

t.i.a.

Tommi
03-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Usually I'm working in a pipeline with Avid DV. There's a lossless Quicktime codec for Avid around which can be used for After Effects. To me it's the best solution, since most of the other codecs cause some headache in terms of quality deterioration....

Ramon
03-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Supposedly, QT mpeg4 is really good at compressing files size while maintaining image quality with good results. :) Settings wise you'll have to play with it to see what works best for your particular scenario.

Papigiulio
03-11-2005, 08:07 AM
thnx for the replies :)

Anyways comon there must be more people who know about codecs. Or doesnt anyone wanna share some good tips?

-Vormav-
03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
If you're encoding it for the web, I've always liked the results of Quicktime Sorenson 3 encoding. Nice file sizes, with pretty decent quality.
Can't help much with AVI files though; I've been trying to avoid them. :shrug:

ald1225
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1544886,00.asp

Sorenson pretty much, but have you seen that H.264 thing? impressive... check the video
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/quicktime.html it's already availble in Sorenson Compression Suite but you can only play it with this player for right now http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ until Apple comes and support it in QT 7

artisanfx
03-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I like DivX its really the smoothes and one of the smalles videos what can be use for web's

jussing
03-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I wrote this a while ago:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180825

(attached screen dumps have been deleted now, sorry)

I've changed my mind since, though, and now I use Sorenson 3 for picture codec, but still Mpeg 4 for audio.

Note that for some reason AE f*cks up audio quality, so exporting from Quicktime always works best for me.

And yes, Divx is excellent, too. And pretty easy. Just choose a template (they have three - low, medium and high) and then adjust bandwidth if you feel like it.

- Jonas

Shinjipierre
03-19-2005, 03:23 AM
http://www.doom9.org/codecs-104-1.htm

akika
03-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I gave up the DIVX madness a while ago. For daily work i use QT with Sorenson3 because everbody with QT can watch my movies without probs.

If you want to publish for the web, maybe a flashmovie is a good choice for you. The sorenson3 codec gives you a much (!) better quality than QT/Sorenson3.

vinteg
03-24-2005, 03:51 AM
For the web, I personally use the Sorenson Video 3/QDesign Audio Combo but started to use MPEG-4 Audio instead of QDesign. I can scrub through the video, go frame by frame cleanly, and play the QT while it downloads.

I usually export an uncompressed quicktime and drop that into Cleaner 6 with the Sorenson Video 3 Pro codec for a two-pass VBR and select fast start for internet streaming.

However like ald1255, I am also excited about H.264, but because you can't rely on people updating their software, I'll stick with Sorenson Video 3 for a while.

What MB size and dimensions are you targeting?

Papigiulio
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I wrote this a while ago:

Note that for some reason AE f*cks up audio quality, so exporting from Quicktime always works best for me.

- Jonas

one question with that then, did you use mp3's or wav files??? Cus ive noticed that ae will **** with mp3 files, but leaves the wav files alone. And not only with me, ive read the same problems with others aswell

Papigiulio
03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
For the web, I personally use the Sorenson Video 3/QDesign Audio Combo but started to use MPEG-4 Audio instead of QDesign. I can scrub through the video, go frame by frame cleanly, and play the QT while it downloads.

I usually export an uncompressed quicktime and drop that into Cleaner 6 with the Sorenson Video 3 Pro codec for a two-pass VBR and select fast start for internet streaming.

However like ald1255, I am also excited about H.264, but because you can't rely on people updating their software, I'll stick with Sorenson Video 3 for a while.

What MB size and dimensions are you targeting?

640 x 480 and yes i know its a weird format :shrug:

can you tell me what kind of settings u use with sorenson 3??

vinteg
03-24-2005, 06:46 PM
For dimensions, I try to stick to a multiplication of 8, 640x480, 480x360, 320x240 and so on.

These are the settings for a 320x240 from Cleaner that I use:

Sorenson Video 3 Compressor
Million of Colors+ (for most projects)
29.97fps (depending on project)
Keyframe every 30
2-pass VBR
Limit to 720.0 kbits/sec (Depends on Project, this is for a 320x240)
Total Date Rate 1.8 mbits/sec
Gamma Set to 9
Automatic Keyframes = 65
Minimum Quality = 80
Image Smoothing Checked
Bidirectional Prediction Allowed

This was for a montage of 2 and a half minutes. It's exceptional clear and the size came down to 14MB. I could have tweaked it further and gotten even a smaller size, but I was pretty happy with it.

Of course this will vary by project, so you'll have to tweak like crazy. Get the Sorenson Video 3 Pro and QDesign Pro codecs. Try to use a dedicated compression program because it will have a few more options and controls then AE will.

I never edit or export in mp3. Try to convert your mp3 into either 44.1KHZ or 48KHZ wav or aiff at 16 bit and then compress that. You're trying to compress a compressed format. That's like taking a 70% jpeg and saving again as 70% jpeg, lowering the quality further.

Papigiulio
04-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Vinteq could you please check your pm, cus i cant change settigns like VBR pass and stuff!
t.i.a.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2005, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.