PDA

View Full Version : Rhinoceros

furo
03-09-2005, 10:31 PM
i saw a lot of ppl here using Rhinocers NURBS modeling software,so what about specific application forum? i can see modo there, zbrush etc.. what you think ppl? should be helpful, i can swear my full interest there

pencil-head
03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I think it's been and gone. I think it was too inactive and got killed off.

furo
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
i didn't know it was active.. if it was killed off, i'm sure it should be open again, i can cover possible threads there with my interest, i just can see a lot of ppl workin' with rhino and nurbs but support is awful...

andrewjohn81
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I agree. I know alot of people here that could benefit from it. I just didn't know that it was here before. i don't often look through the program list to see if there is a new one. If there was some sort of advertisement or something that I would notice then i may notice it. otherwise I just hang out in the same old places.

I was actually looking here to see if rhino was already on the list.

omid605
03-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Gr8 idea.a forum for the most powerful nurbs modeling software.:thumbsup:

andrewjohn81
04-04-2005, 04:35 PM
I think all it will take to keep it alive this time would be for word to get around. There are a few hundred people here that use Rhino and are always asking for help. I'm sure if there was a forum available they would be ineterested.
We really need to get this thing going.

furo
04-04-2005, 05:10 PM
i agree,that's the reason i tried post new thread here even though somebody said, forum was here and was inactive, so don't understand,what's the reason.. i hope,my request will be acceptable and forum will begin again. btw, from april of 1st my own new forum is running,but it's only for slovak and czech rhinoceros users,or for everybody who understand these languages.. if my request will not be accepted here,i upgrade my forum to english version too.. we'll see.. but i hope,some specific section for rhino will be here

lode
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
i use it before
still love it when modeling car, and some industrial product
but feel that is good for a engineer not a artist
oh, how to say...

OamadeusO
04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Got the demo and want to learn to use it.

This is the perfect 3D program for me as a product designer I think.
The workflow looks better than using a mesh program like Cinema.
Any tips on how to learn this for a newbie would be great. I design watches and jewllery and like the idea of rapid prototyping as well.

gnz
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
I am in for a Rhino forum. I think I can contribute.

andrewjohn81
04-08-2005, 02:17 PM
This tool is definitely good for an artist lode. An artists job is to best depict exactly what he/she wants to. If they need to do it with great precision, then they need the tool to be able to do that. Just about everyone I work with uses Rhino almost every day. I've seen quite a bit of art show up in their cubicles and it came from Rhino.

Also, if an artist is working by himself and needs his art engineered, then he has to do it himself. It would be nice to share all of the info in one place instead of having to learn to talk to a completely new community.
Saying that programs like that aren't art, yet we have programming subForums just seems wrong. I don't call most programming art, but it is definitely a necessary part of your artwork.
(don't get mad at me programmers, I know many of you create art, but I also know many of you who do not. But you are along the same lines here as engineers. Many engineers DO have some creative freedom and DO create art, but also many dont.)

OamadeusO
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
There's also those of use that straddle both worlds.
Designing products, demands creativity but needs to be tempered with real world practicalities.

I would love a Rhino forum because I want to learn it. The people here have such a good creative background I would prefer to learn from them and not from pure engineers.

In the meantime can anyone suggest good forums and support sites for rhino?

"Please Sir! Can we have a Rhino forum? Go on, be you're friend.":D

saiko
04-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks furo for posting this thread.. i had raised this issue months back but didn't get enough support.

i don't understand why CGTalk-rhino forum was it 'too inactive' and stopped.....

was it because it's more for Industrial design related stuffs than for CG ralated to films and because of the sudden craze of using polygon modeling for inorganic stuffs like cars.

Of course Polygon modeling has its own advantages but nurb modeling is also having its own USP.

I have been looking for a good rhino-forum for years, but there's none, i find the official rhino-forum is very different (difficult to use) atleast for the users of VBulletine-like forums. Mr. McNeel should give it a thought.

There is not enough tutorials around the net, if anybody has gone through the existing tutorials on the net he/she might have noticed that the 90% of all those were written in the first few years of of rhino, then suddenly everything stopped, might be because of the polygon modeling craze; now, once in a blue moon one or two vague rhino-tuts come out.

but still there are many users around who are using rhino, and as far as i know its still used for some CG/film related stuffs except industrial design. and Rhino is perhaps the most user-friendly and most popular nurb modeling software around (keeping Alias Studio-tools/Auto-studio in mind). A Rhino forum would help other nurb based applications' users also.

i Guess (almost sure!) there are more people who use Rhino than pmg messiah, syflex, Vue and Wings 3D Vue which have their separate forums in CGTalk.

so i would also request to CGTalk to start a Rhoinoceros 3D forum or at least a Nurb-modeling sub-forum:D in the modeling forum where Rhino/Nerb-modeling users can find their space.

saiko

andrewjohn81
04-17-2005, 05:09 AM
I totally agree with saiko.

I was just thinking about the tutorial problem as well. There really aren't enough of them. Since Rhino is mostly nurbs based that would also help the rest of the nurbs community. Every single industrial designer out there knows, or should know, Rhino or studio tools if not both. That is an enormous community. Many of those people don't know about cgtalk though. The only program that is really completely compatible with nurbs modeling is Alias Maya that is on this forum. Ok, that's just my uneducated opinion, don't yell at me too much for it.
Since most rhino users don't work in games they wouldn't even think about this forum. Well I work with about 50 rhino users, that I can think of. I don't know which programs they use in the other countries. But if this forum gets opened up I will definitely have a mass email sent showing where the Rhino community is now hanging out. There currently isn't one. The only one/ones I can think of is fairly crappy. This one is way better and I think Rhino should have it's place as well.

I would definitely do my best to spread the word if it makes it on the list.

tilite
05-24-2005, 05:59 AM
i dont have time to read all this but i did just want to put in my input... i really support a Rhino forum and want to revamp the thread a little so if u have posted here please post on my new thread trying to target forum leaders and get a straight answerhttp://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=243079
please vote and post

Khorram
05-24-2005, 07:05 AM
I have just started using Rhinoceros 3D. There have been always issues with Nurb modeling which seemed to be a headache in Maya. I feel better about Rhino now it can save lot of time. Anyhow before to approach a Nurb modeling it has always seemed to me that I should set a strategy based on available tools. Rhino is acceptable for Nurb modeling but I am not sure about its Rendering capabilities yet.

I would support the Idea for having a technical forum somewhere mainly about Nurb modeling.

How about setting up one? I am just thinking about it?

Is there much improvement in the new version of Rhino than version 3?

tilite
05-24-2005, 08:45 AM
in the next version of rhino there is going to be a clay tool:D

the render engine in rhino sucks... plain and simple

vote here for rhino forum http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=243079

and tell anyone u know who uses rhino to vote!

Leonard
05-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I've started a Rhino forum:
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174 (forumdisplay.php?f=174)

Please - get all your friends to come and use this forum. It needs enough activity on it to justify its existence. If some of you could please go to the respective Rhino communities and newsgroups, and point people to this new forum, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Leonard

PS - I've closed this thread as there are three "please start a Rhino forum" threads running.