PDA

View Full Version : New to modeling

inbata
03-09-2005, 06:31 PM
hi guys,
i'm new to maya and modeling.
i started modeling a shark using nurbs and it was not so easy as at seemed at the tut.
do you have any suggestions on waht to start with?
ooh.. and maybe some tips for a clean start.

Thanks!

billrobertson42
03-10-2005, 04:49 AM
It's always harder than it seems in the tutorial.

Keep working at it. You'll get better. :)

Naisa Evoli
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
good advise. Nurbs are really weird to get use to at first (especially if you have poly modeling experience). But it will come, keep doing the tutorial over and over till you feel you got it right, then move on to some more tutorials. Then start picking random compound curvature objects from around your house and try making them. Then once you make it good one way, try another approach. Try and think of like 4 different ways to potentially fix every problem you come across, and try them all. Find the tools you like to use (life loft) and use them, but donít become dependent on a tool. Even if loft is the best way to solve a certain problem, when your practicing its not about the final outcome but what you learn. So try a boundary in its place, or a square, or something else (simplified examples. See below). You may be surprised in certain situations that something you thought would not look good actually looks awesome. Break learning down into steps, donít learn all the tools at once, but also donít ever be comfortable with the tools you know. Learn a new one every week. Also, donít restrict yourself to practicing modeling on a computer only. learn to draw, take fine art classes at school, concentrate a lot on figure drawing (especially if you want to model characters). The computer is only a tool to do your art, so donít only learn the tools, learn your art. I have Maya because of school, which is one of the best tools out there for doing computer art. But me with Maya, and a pro with some third rate, crappy program, the pro will still blow my art away. So donít learn the tools, learn the art. (I am still new also, but this is advise people have given me from all over, I hope it helps^^)

(by simplified example I I am referring to the fact that I mean this does not only apply to what surface creation tool to use. I am referring to, EVERY problem you come across. Meaning, the topology of your setup, if you should trim a intersecting surface or if you should take a curve on surface so you donít have to trim. If you should model something in a certain shape, or if you should model it flat and deform it later. There are many problems you will come across, find many ways to solve them and try them all. Save before you try, and go back every time you try a solution and see what way is working for you. Just because one way solves it, doesnít mean that you go, ďok kool, that worked, I donít need to try the other waysĒ. Try them all, find out what works best, what looks best, what gets it done faster.

P.S.
sorry, i totally went off on a tangent, and went way beyond the questions you where asking..lol. But i figure you say you are new to modeling, so these are the things i wish i would have known earlier than I did..so..lol..sorry for the long post :)

inbata
03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Thaks for you'r advise it realy helped create an order in all of the mess I've made.. :)
I guess I should start with something easier and try a diffrent modeling approach every time and practice..

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.