PDA

View Full Version : Softimage GDC Games Reel

raffael3d
03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Events/GDC_2005/default_flash.asp

eMeisel
03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
This demo reel reminds me why I don't like most of the computer and console games. Those games ar made for angry young man. My brother-in-law ist seventeen years old. He likes to play such games. Last time I saw him he showed me one of these games and he laughed: "wow - a head shot".

So much energy, resources and talent wasted to produce such trash.

The world is not getting better with games like this on the market.

Swizzle
03-09-2005, 07:25 PM
This demo reel reminds me why I don't like most of the computer and console games. Those games ar made for angry young man. My brother-in-law ist seventeen years old. He likes to play such games. Last time I saw him he showed me one of these games and he laughed: "wow - a head shot".

So much energy, resources and talent wasted to produce such trash.

The world is not getting better with games like this on the market.Oh, blah. Some of the greatest innovations in realtime computer graphics have been done in violent video games. The world is getting better with games like these on the market because the technology used in them can be used for medical applications, design and building of new and better products for consumers and businesses, and a wide range of scientific applications as well, to only name a few. Think about realtime graphics and you probably won't think of people who design new cars or people who model molecules to understand chemical reactions, you'll most likely think of computer games.

You should also note that there are many women who enjoy games like these, and that it's not just testosterone-fueled pubescent males who play games. The average gamer's age is what, something like 25-30 now?

Back on topic. That was pretty well done, in my opinion. A nice montage, though I wish I had some headphones with me right now. Is there any interesting audio stuff that I'm missing out on, or is this just like a demo reel with no narration or anything?

Stonepilot
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Sheeesh, I wish they had picked a better track. Cool reel though. bad choice of music.

Those Violent games are the devils work. I tell ya. Hey how about you raise your own kids and quit passing the blame on someone else for your F____K Ups. This drives me nuts. I wonder if Hitler played Grand Theft Auto. Always passing the buck. Your kids are the way they are cause you don't have the balls to draw a line for them not to cross at home. And what's more you don't have the balls to put them in their place when they do. Parent some kids need more than a time out. I have friends that are teachers and believe me the worst cases I hear about are kids that go home and there's no one there, parents are working all the time etc..... are games or what's on tv still to blame. F_______________________________________________K.

I'll stop now.

Swizzle
03-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Let's just forget that eMeisel, I, and Stonepilot said anything about violent games.

Nice reel, wish I had some of the games they have on there. Heh, wish I had money to buy them right now.

eMeisel
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I have friends that are teachers and believe me the worst cases I hear about are kids that go home and there's no one there, parents are working all the time etc..... are games or what's on tv still to blame.

You are absolutely right with that. And now imagine such kids playing plenty of those violent games ... STOP - I can see when I am outnumbered.

Now I am leaving this thread and search for something nice and pleasant (maybe there is a rerun of teletubbies).

erilaz
03-09-2005, 09:29 PM
That music was painful. What I don't get was the focus of the montage. So much concentration on 3 or 4 main games, and then a smattering of all the others games throughout... very strange.

quid
03-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh come on guys that music wasn't bad. Not like I'd buy the cd or anything but it suits the montage well.

The montage was nicely done too.

titaniumdave
03-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Overall it was pretty cool. I especially liked that alien shot. The music was pretty crap except for that short part that sounded like it was from old school nes but other than that no complaints.

p.s. How about discussing the reel here and saving your ideas about child raising for Oprah.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2005, 09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.