PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows about this? render,display and material bug?

HAYK´AP
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi I have been dealing with this problem for a couple of day now, and I can`t get to find where is the bug, or maybe better called MISTAKE.

The history.

I imported this mesh into XSI as an OBJ, from MAX, and I got this weird (at least for me) problem.

The mesh seems to have some kind of error in the surface or material. I deleted the clusters that came with it, but it didn´t solve the problem, I assigend a new material and still nothing changed. I don´t want to give up, but I need some help.

This behavior is strange, when I got the object closer to the camera everything looks fine, but when the object is far, all this dark shade appears.

At first I thought it was my video card, and a display problem, but the same promblem cames up in the render, and when I tested in other computer with a much better video card, the same thing keeps happening.

The gray area is not a problem, is just some polygons with a differente texture, but the black area in anoying.

oh, I already checked the polygons, and they are any overlaping as I though too.
:(

Any ideas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/freditablog/ship.gif

TheLostVertex
03-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Have you tried selecting all the polygons and doing Extract polygons(delete) and see if the problem is still there?

MJV
03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I know that XSI doesn't like your camera to be far away and zoomed in, at least in the editor display. These display problems are common when the camera is far away and zoomed in tightly. Is it possible that the render also has problems with it? Just how far away are you?

Ablefish
03-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Any chance you could post the mesh? (Or even a part of it if it's sensitive).

HAYK´AP
03-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for your quick replies..

The lost Vertex :

Extract polygons uh?, humm nope, I haven´t tried that one yet, I will as soon I get the chance..

MJV :

My camera has no animation yet, and it doesnt get too far, I am just using the default camera to model, so when I am navigating is when it happens.

AbleFish :

Sure I can post the mesh for you to check, that would be actually very helpfull..
How should I do this? can I send it over e-mails???

Thank you so much.

el_diablo
03-09-2005, 06:46 PM
That looks like z-buffer errors or overlapping polys to me.

Check for z-buffer bit depth in display properties should be 24bit or 32 bit, shouldnt be 16 bit. If your display is set to 16 bit color i think some display drivers tend to set z-buffer to display depth.

If you have overlapping polys(polys in the same space/same vert posiitons) you can try and extract poly groups by using poly island select mode (i think thats whats its called) which should select all selected polys and after extract you should be left with unified polys. Other option which I generally use is to export .obj and fix in other modeling proggies.

mr Bob
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
it is due to your clipping planes on ur camera , in crease the max value

B

HAYK´AP
03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Mr Bob: Thank you, your suggestion worked fine, I adjusted the clipping planes, Is looking good now.

AbleFish: I tried to send you the mesh a few times last week, it didnt work, :( it was like 8MB or so.. even zipped. I notice it didnt go thru just today, I am back froma short trip. Anyways it seem to be just the camera clipping planes, if you still want to check the file I would zip it in parts and send them over.

to all the rest, thanks for your suggestions.

good luck!!

KurtLawson
03-15-2005, 10:07 PM
cool good tip on big model.
k

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 10:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.