PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft buys game developer Rare

bentllama
09-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Microsoft buys game developer Rare (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958821.html )

Pedro
09-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Huh. Nintendo having money problems maybe?

dark_lotus
09-21-2002, 06:26 AM
The American Government has to stop Micro$oft NOW.

bentllama
09-21-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by dark_lotus
The American Government has to stop Micro$oft NOW.

Why? MS is no different from any other conglomerate out there...and they certainly are not the largest...

...it just happens that they got bad press from the beginning...and that they deal in products you use everyday.
The other corporations deal in products you take advantage of and are unconscious about every day.

Not much difference, so why the hate?

Chewey
09-21-2002, 12:42 PM
Gates is just the guy that everyone loves to hate.

I'd prefer they go after AT&T instead.

satanatron
09-21-2002, 01:24 PM
or pehaps other multi-nationals like coles/myer, mcdonalds, or coca cola

RobinOberg
09-21-2002, 10:24 PM
I dont drink coca-cola beverages and i dont utilise anything that has to do with at&t (except some of the electric inventions)
but i do however use alot of microsoft products.
and ive heard from my brother how microsoft works(he used to work in one of their companies)
it isnt pretty, i assure you... :(

sounds like the stock holders of Rare is looking to cash in some quick dough, and microsoft isnt the one to say no to extra market control and one competitor less :)

beaker
09-22-2002, 12:46 AM
>>Not much difference, so why the hate?

Because they turn the game companies they buy into a factory. All the really cool people that made the games amazing there leave, so all they have is a name in the end. I know a few people that left after m$ took over digital anvil(chris roberts)and any other people that are still there say it sucks there now. M$ trys to run the companies they buy like a factory and get rid of all the artist innovation and freedom that most people are used to enjoying. They take the fun out of making games.

PNelson
09-22-2002, 02:31 AM
Regarding DA, I have friends that were there before and after the MS stuff and I don't think most of that issues can be blamed on who owns the company..

I'm not an expert on DA, but That is what I've heard from some former employees.

See Ya!

Chewey
09-22-2002, 02:53 AM
My neighbor works for microsoft in redmond.
She likes working there. She's a programmer (not in games) so perhaps her work ethic and expectations are a bit different than those of the game artist.

bentllama
09-22-2002, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by beaker

Because they turn the game companies they buy into a factory. All the really cool people that made the games amazing there leave, so all they have is a name in the end. I know a few people that left after m$ took over digital anvil(chris roberts)and any other people that are still there say it sucks there now. M$ trys to run the companies they buy like a factory and get rid of all the artist innovation and freedom that most people are used to enjoying. They take the fun out of making games.

In my personal experience, it is no factory...far from it...

heavyness
09-22-2002, 04:01 AM
personally, i would of like Rare to go 3rd party. that way, they could keep making Donkey Kong/Star Fox games for Nintendo [money in the bank] and put games like Perfect Dark and Conkers on XBOX and PS2.

dantea
09-22-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Chewey
Gates is just the guy that everyone loves to hate.

I'd prefer they go after AT&T instead.

They already did.

Lee3dee
09-22-2002, 05:24 AM
If microsoft buys all the good developers, then xbox doesn't need a first party publisher to sell its systems, the 3rd party will be doing all the work for them. I own all the Rare game for N64, but if Rare moves over to the green screen of death, I won't be joining them anytime soon. Nintendo is foolish to release a highend company like Rare. Rare probably had some killer games in the works for the GameCube (Perfect dark2 maybe) and now its being sold to the highest bidder, ie xbox.

Either way, we the gamers will win, because we get the killer games from these outstanding companies. Halo would of been kiler on pc if released as planned, but the Big green has to have the best. and the pc users are getting sloppy seconds.

Thats my rant.

Chewey
09-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by dantea
They already did.

Yep, they're serial offenders.
;>

dark_lotus
09-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Educate yourself http://www.****microsoft.com/content/whatsbad.shtml

replace **** with the 'f' word

In fact here is a list of everything that Microsoft has itself invented:

-Customizable Tool Palettes [pending]
-Favorites Icon in Internet Explorer 5
-Infra-red Mouse [pending]
-IntelliMouse [pending]
-Microsoft BOB [accepted]
-Microsoft Smartcard [pending]
-Natural Keyboard [pending]
-QBASIC engine [pending]
-RTF (Rich Text) File format [pending]
-Tabbed Window View [pending]
-Talking Paper Clip [accepted]
-Visual Studio Codesense Engine [pending]

Wow now thats innovation. Really.

Eugeny
09-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Some funny thing to this article - go to google.com and type "go to hell" with quotes and see that u get on first place...

Larry_g1s
09-23-2002, 01:30 AM
Personally, I didn't buy my GameCube for Rare games, so I'm not buying a Xbox for them either. I think Rare's a good developer. They've produced some solid games. But I agree with one of the statements above, alot of their great games developers left. Golden Eye and Perfect Dark team left and are getting ready to put out TimeSplitters 2.

I also believe this is in Nintendo's best interest. They don't have to wait long developement cycles with Rare anymore( which mean more $ ), and they can use the 49% shares they sold to encourge other great 3rd party devs to devope for the GameCube. :shrug:

red_oddity
09-23-2002, 08:40 AM

I'm sorry Beaker, but that IMHO is absolute b*** s***, i've friends working at Bizzare Creations and at Bungie, if it' wasn't for MS they would have had to go look for another job (or atleast for another company).
And they've not camplained, as a matter of fact, all that changes is where the money comes from.
What ever happened to Anvil could also have been something else (why let MS take over in the first place, maybe there was more going on than just a money issue)

beaker
09-23-2002, 10:19 AM
>>I'm sorry Beaker, but that IMHO is absolute b*** s***

Sorry, but it's not BS from the opinion of two friends of mine that worked at Digtal Anvil. I got the opinion strait from the horses mouth. So maybe it's an isolated incident of two disgruntal employees, donno.

red_oddity
09-23-2002, 04:28 PM
Well, let's hope so...Ever since the big boys figured out there's money to be made in the game bizz it seems much more to turn into an industry indeed rather than an entertaining form of art.
(Remember those days when people laugheed at you when mentioning computer games?)

RobinOberg
09-24-2002, 03:01 AM

I agree. Thats about what my brother told me how microsoft works. the only thing thats good is the pay :)

Luke Werhli
09-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, in my opinion Nintendo is having some big things in the sleeves. They´re not fool. They´re considered the best company in Japan.

I´ve read other day that the majority of the cool game creators of Rare abandoned the ship and started new smaller companies, like Zoonami for example, wich is a company of the creators of Perfect Dark.

And these companies will focus in creating games exclusively for Gamecube.

In the beginning I was pissed of, but now I try to understand the change.

Time_Sucka
09-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Luke Werhli
Well, in my opinion Nintendo is having some big things in the sleeves. They´re not fool. They´re considered the best company in Japan.

I´ve read other day that the majority of the cool game creators of Rare abandoned the ship and started new smaller companies, like Zoonami for example, wich is a company of the creators of Perfect Dark.

And these companies will focus in creating games exclusively for Gamecube.

In the beginning I was pissed of, but now I try to understand the change.

I hope so, because I loved Rares N64 games and I'm not going to buy a console that crashes just to play their sequels.

EAP!
09-28-2002, 08:35 AM
Hey beaker you sure hit an issue with your statement... I had fun reading this thread interpreting everyones opinion... here's what i have to say

let see... x-box reports that it loses money everytime an x-box is sold because of the price decrease... it has the best overall specs out of the 3 major systems (ps2, gamecube) yet.... it lacks in the most important area, lots of well developed games. this is because it is very new to the console market (having a console not making games). Therefore it will get into the industry any way it can (or knows how). "it" will continue to buy shares or whole companies till we love "it".

wmendez
09-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Agree , I just picked up StarFox for the cube and Rare did an awsome job with it. Don't foget these were the first guys to give us 3D type games on Super Nintendo like Donkey Kong Country.

RobinOberg
10-01-2002, 12:19 AM
saw the trailer for Kameo.
looks nice ecvept for the fact that i dislike the gametype.
and im a bit troubled over their attempt at making the maori culture look bad...

Pixarman
10-02-2002, 04:46 AM
Who says the Xbox is prone to crashing?

I've had mine for almost a year now, played it almost once a day and have never had any problems. All of my friends haven't had any problems...in fact I haven't met a person that has had a problem with their Xbox yet.

I've got a PS2 and it hasn't had any crashes either...

I think people just love poking fun at the Xbox simply because it's made by Microsoft.

Nobody says anything about Sony buying up shares of Square and using bully tactics with Rockstar Games to keep GTA3 and any other GTA titles exclusive...

So really what are you gonna do?? :shrug:

If so many people leave Rare than they'll maybe be some new openings for some of us on CGTalk...kind of win win, huh?

Pixarman

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.