PDA

View Full Version : CG Choice Gallery: Animation?

SirRon
03-09-2005, 02:23 AM
I think it would be nice to have a CG Choice Gallery for Animation. There's already a 3D and 2D stills gallery. The Animation gallery would be open to either 3D and 2D animations. I've seen some pretty cool flash animations too and I suppose they could end up in there too.

Comments? Votes? :D

jussing
03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmm, well yes and no.

The problem with the present animation gallery - IMO - is that it gets almost no attention, compared to the still galleries.

Creating the seperate animation gallery was a noble idea, but seperating it from the popular still galleries means - I think - that less people watch the animations now. Best chance of getting an animation seen, is to post a still from it in the still galleries, and then link to the animation (individual hit statistics from the gallery could prove me wrong, but this is my impression).

So, creating a seperate CG Choice Gallery for animation is good, because it brings extra attention to animations.

But, it's also bad, because it further seperates the animations from the stills, which might mean even less exposure to animation entries.

:shrug:

- Jonas

SirRon
03-10-2005, 03:35 AM
I don't know what you mean by it further separating the animations from the stills which means less exposure to the animation. I'm not putting the thought down. Just wondering if you can elaborate more. Yeah, the main reason why I'd like an animation gallery is because I'm hoping it'll bring some attention to animation, just like you said.

I just added up the total number of posts for the Finished Work: Animation, WIP/Critique: Animation, and General Technique Animation and it adds up to 14k. The General Technique Modeling alone is 16k. Not including the gallery, finished, and wip forums. Again, I'm not putting anything down, the more posts the better.

Then that makes me wonder what's the percentage of people in CGTalk are animators, modelers, texture artists, etc. The lack of animation could just mean that there are less animators here. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

Obviously I'm an animator (read first line of sig) I'm just trying to look out for my brethren.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/buttrock.gif

Leonard
03-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi all,

I'd like to point out that this has already crossed our minds and it's in the plan - but only after we launch our hosted animation gallery. Unfortunately, I can't give you a definite timeframe on this because of the amount of stuff that we have to roll out first.

So yes - it's in the works. We're already rushed and crunched as it is, so please understand that we can't roll things out immediately when they are suggested.

Thanks,

Leonard

SirRon
03-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Oh wow, thanks Leonard! I didn't know it was in the works. I can totally understand the time and effort to get it up and running. I'm a patient guy.

You fellas are doing a great job, I really do appreciate the CGTalk community :beer:

Remi
03-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Very nice to hear indeed. Thanks to the cgtalk team!!!:)

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2005, 01:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.