PDA

View Full Version : How do I change weight from 1 joint to another.

Chris Bacon
03-08-2005, 04:34 PM
This is gonna be a very sill question but how do you change wait from 1 joint to another Im aware of the paint weight tool but I dont know how to use it. any help.

jgibz
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Select the geometry bound to your skeleton, go to skin>editSmoothSkin>paintSkinweights> options.

You can select from a list of bones to paint weights on, use the 'replace' radio button and the slider to adjust the weight. Then paint away :)

**also before you start painting, make sure you select your geo, and go to Skin>editSmoothSkin>enable weight normalization.**

john_homer
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
if you turn "hold" on in either paint weights or the component editor for all objects EXCEPT the joints you want to take the weight from and too,
then just set all the weights to 0 for the joint you dont want them on... they will have knowhere to go but to the other joint (because the others are on hold).

the script below will set all joints on a selected skin to hold ON.. you can switch it at the top. (note: the paint weights window will NOT update the "hold" changes untill you force it)

// ON OR OFF
int $val = 1;

// GET THE JOINTS IN THE SKIN CLUSTER
// ON THE SELECTED OBJECT
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
string $history[] = `listHistory $sel[0]`;
string $clusterName[] = `ls -type skinCluster $history`;
string $infs[] = `skinCluster -q -inf $clusterName[0]`;

for ($current in $infs)
{
setAttr ($current + ".liw") $val;
}
// UPDATE COMPONENT EDITOR
compEdMenuCmd CEMIAutoUpdate componentEditorPanel1WindowComponEditor;

Chris Bacon
03-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Thank you so much for your advice. Its been a big help....

Chris Bacon
03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Weta.....they did LOTR didnt they.....

john_homer
03-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Weta.....they did LOTR didnt they.....

yep, they did...

Chris Bacon
03-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Thats sooo coooool....

Chris Bacon
03-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Ive been using the paint waight tool....I get it where i want it to be but what I move the joint it still moves bits that I dont want same as before...basicaly theres no effect.

Matt Leishman
03-15-2005, 02:02 AM
yep, they did...

ha ha!! John that's hilarious man. I can just see your face while writing that "to the point" response. :rolleyes:

john_homer
03-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I cant wait untill Kong comes out.. then everyone can aske me if I worked on that too :rolleyes:

I'd better pre-order some crew gear now just in case someone doesnt realise and fails to respect me... hmm.. maybee a black jacket with gold embroidered KONG and (of course) CREW on it...

oh, yeah.. BTW...
I'm never serious in these posts, I never get offended by questions.. and .. (drumroll) I didn't work on Kong or LOTR. :eek:

.j

Matt Leishman
03-16-2005, 12:09 AM
i experience something similar every time someone says to me, "I thought WETA was doing that one." when I tell them I'm working on the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Except, my experience is probably more genuine frustration.:banghead:

john_homer
03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
i experience something similar every time someone says to me, "I thought WETA was doing that one." when I tell them I'm working on the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

did you want me to get you some crew gear??

haha...
sorry man I couldn't resist :twisted:

.j

M.E.L.
03-16-2005, 04:21 AM
my experience is probably more genuine frustration.:banghead:

for anyone curious... matt makes a face quite similar to the one in his avatar when reaching complete frustration :scream:

alright...gotta get this back on topic heh..

Chris Bacon
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
You ask a simple question and look where it gets ya....

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.