PDA

View Full Version : 3DS MAX to LW

proton
09-20-2002, 02:51 PM
This thread is for Tips and Tricks for anyone that is currently a MAX user trying to learn LightWave. If you have any tips or examples of how the 2 are different this is the place to submit them. This should help the transition between the two programs.

Thanx for the help!

Lizard Head
09-21-2002, 04:16 AM
Ok. Ill go first,, Ill make the first one simple.... When you export from MAX as a .3ds file. And you bring that .3ds file into LW, and you apply a new surface to the geometry your going to notice that the normals are all flipped.you need to flip the normals right off the get go. "F" key

Lizard Head
09-21-2002, 04:18 AM
OK next

http://www.maxplugins.de/

Go there to get your LW2MAX,,, MAX2LW import export plugin.

dark_lotus
09-21-2002, 06:35 AM
Um i think proton meant tips to help learn lightwave from Max.
not how to import files from max to lw. (even thought that's helpfull)

Tip 1: Remember how you had to bind space warps? Well to deform an object, select the object, press 'P' and click deformations.

And Now Space Warps become a distant memory.

Tip 2: To replace the Noise Space Warp, I'd recommend Flabby.

Search for it on www.flay.com

have fun!

Lizard Head
09-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Um I think if one was using MAX they would want to start by bringing in some of their work done in MAX to "get a feel for" Lightwave...so that’s why I pointed out some things they may find right off as they learned Lightwave.

These things on importing threw off a few people at the last studio I worked at,, and despite my assurances, it turned 3 people against LW and back to MAX because "LW was stupid" (as they put it) cause they didn’t understand these things... so ALL information is important.

And another thing that turns people off that have learned other anim packages and tried LW is the selection in lw,, I always stress to people that they have to understand it and learn it, other wise they get bored and drop LW.... and I think that is the purpose of these tips that Proton is looking for.... if the goal is to document tips to make a transistion easier from MAX to LW and retain those converted users the basic tips are as important as anything else.

Eugeny
09-21-2002, 09:57 AM
I will say for Max users some words about logical build of LW workflow...

In Modeler:

1. U ALWAYS deal with Points and Polygons - ones created your object like editable mesh or poly.
2. There is no Modifier stuck - ones modifier is applied u still deal with editable mesh. U wont changes - hit "u" and reapply last modifier with changes...
3. To select Point (Vertex) or Polygon (Face) u don't need any Mesh Select or other junk - simple hit Points (ctrl+g) or Polygons (ctrl+h)
4. For ALL tools u have Numeric panel - weary handy all what u need in one place.
5. Polygon and Point statistic window - the place of ALL necessary information for selection, placement etc.
6. U don't need to drug or apply surface (Material) via Surface material - simple hit "q" and get the name - new surface will be created. Also in Surface editor u see ONLY surfaces (materials) that u have - no more hot (applied) and not hot material, and no more there is my material?

Also if u familiar with Surface tools scripts in Max - u are in home if not - be prepared to storm of the new functions :)
Also know this LightWave is NOT stupid it's weary weary weary organized and logical !

This is that i have in mind now - i'll update this later...

Kaiser_Sose
09-21-2002, 10:10 AM
This is a little off topic so delete it if you want

One thing that is nice in 3DSMax, I dont know if it is new to version 5 or not, is that you can pan and rotate the circle in the material editor in real time

This comes in handy

Other than that the program is just laid out oddly

Eugeny
09-21-2002, 10:43 AM
this is not new to Max 5

proton
09-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Thanx for getting this thread started....now let's fill this baby up :)

Mazer
10-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi, this comes in handy to me since i'm in transiton right now :applause:

Some stuff I found useful/interesting:

-To maximize a viewport in LW I use the 0 in the numpad (Num lock on) while the mouse is over any view. In Max 4 (dont know for 5) you must klick the viewport first and then press W. Lightwave beaves more like Maya
-It took me a while to figure out I had to activate smooth on the material before sending a model to Layout.
-The selection is confusing if you started learning 3d in Max or Maya... But after geting used to it it realy is faster and more natural.
-This may be stupid but I forgot about double sided materials and I thought I had a problem with Open GL:blush:
-The whay we move the Camera view in Layout is in my opinion not the best solution.

And some questions:

-Is there any kind of motion capture with the mouse/joystick/Keybord in LW?
-Can I use a pressure sensitive pen (vertex paint perhaps?)
-I still dont understand the Volume selection mode....

Mattoo
10-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Mazer
Hi, this comes in handy to me since i'm in transiton right now :applause:
And some questions:

-Is there any kind of motion capture with the mouse/joystick/Keybord in LW?
-Can I use a pressure sensitive pen (vertex paint perhaps?)
-I still dont understand the Volume selection mode....

- Yes (If I understand your meaning). Make sure Autokey is turned ON. Then hit the play button in the lower right hand corner, then while it's playing drag that object around, you'll see it's creating keyframes as it goes. There is also a plugin to take in joystick movements... can't remember where off the top of my head.

- As far as I'm aware the airbrush tool isn't pressure sensitive. But I haven't found it a hinderance even though I use my tablet for modelling aswell.

-I don't really use the Volume selection much and I don't know many who do. It's basically a way of limiting a certain tools influence, so rather than selecting all those vertices or polygons you can just drag that box out.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone does use Volume much though...

Eugeny
10-02-2002, 08:16 PM
-I still don't understand the Volume selection mode....

It's like in Max then u draw selection box that pass the half of object - u have two modes one - will select object and another will ignore that object ...

So volume selection in LW is the same but work with polygons, see pic.

Mazer
10-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks alot folks :thumbsup:

I was confused with volume selection because the selected poligons dont change color, so I though nothing was selected...

It realy would be cool to see some wacom suport.... a plugin maybe?Something like maya artisan or paint selection.. but that's out of topic.

I'll post again as soon as I find some more stuff.

Eugeny
10-02-2002, 09:36 PM
U can easy use wacoom ...
There is no Artisan and paint effect in LightWave (yet i hope).

Mazer
10-02-2002, 11:57 PM
Wen I said wacom suport I meant pressure sensitive Eugeny but thanks, I've tryed that mode but it feels strange i'll steek to mouse mode..

One more thing though:

- I'm using the free spline tut from Larry Shultz and I have a question:

In max wen I'm working with patches, for instance too splines, crossection and surface modifiers I can go back to the splines, move the points and the surface updates.

In lightwave here is what im doing:
I make some points, create 4 splines, make a spline patch.

The question is if I whant to modify the splines can I do it so the patch updates or I need to recreate the patch ?

Eugeny
10-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Yes this way is undo ... Unfortunately (and fortunately) LW don't have construction history - ones created your object become like editable mesh in Max ...

Kaiser_Sose
10-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Lizard Head

And another thing that turns people off that have learned other anim packages and tried LW is the selection in lw,, I always stress to people that they have to understand it and learn it, other wise they get bored and drop LW

I am always ready to learn more tricks

So what are your selection tips and tricks

jbw
10-08-2002, 02:09 PM
I've got a selection tip. This works for me cos I don't use volume for much else. Don't know if it'll be much use but...
If I'm creating a character and have the ref drawings in the background I make a volume select slightly larger of what will be half the model. Then I model the other half and mirror. Then I really start to tweak using symmetry mode. When modelling if I ever lose symmetry I can go to volume mode and just hit delete then mirror again. No need to zoom in and try to pick annoying little polys etc.

Eugeny
10-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Exactly :thumbsup:

Daniel
10-09-2002, 12:42 AM
@Jbw.

There is a script how do this too. It's called UN and DOmirror. But there U need to turn of the Symetrie Mode before U use it!

Cya.

lildragon
11-30-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Lizard Head
OK next

http://www.maxplugins.de/

Go there to get your LW2MAX,,, MAX2LW import export plugin.

There's no MAX2LW plug there, well at least that I can see, only LW2MAX and it's $700!!! :hmm:

salud

Mike RB
11-30-2002, 06:13 AM
max and LW dont translate back and forth too well.

lildragon
11-30-2002, 06:19 AM
that's really not what I wanted to hear :hmm:

Kaiser_Sose
11-30-2002, 08:16 AM
Go to kaydara.com and give the fbx format a shot

Eugeny
11-30-2002, 08:49 AM
I always use Cinema for translations between Max and LW.
Cinema can read LW format with all data (bones, UV, weight, animation even lance flares) and export as OBJ (LW can export OBJ too but Max for some reason not open this).

Soeren Nielsen
11-30-2002, 09:25 AM
learn the shortcuts :)

A Lightwave Keyboard Shortcard Card (http://www.flay.com/getarticle.cfm?articleid=20)

Kaiser_Sose
11-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Eugeny
I always use Cinema for translations between Max and LW.
Cinema can read LW format with all data (bones, UV, weight, animation even lance flares) and export as OBJ (LW can export OBJ too but Max for some reason not open this).

If 3DSMax can not open obj, how do you transfer from LW to 3DSMax, if I am following you correctly

Eugeny,

what do you think about the new version of c4d

Eugeny
11-30-2002, 10:41 AM
U mast download OBJ import export plug for Max ... Sorry i forget about this.
About Cinema - check yuor PM Kiser.

Cf!
11-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration looks like it might be able to convert from max to LW. They have a demo available.

Chewey
11-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Use the "max2obj4" exporter plugin for 3dsMax to get your Max geometry into Lightwave with quads intact by using the .obj file format.

Unfortunately it appears that this plugin will not export your uv mapping properly but it's better than nothing.

If you plan to export to 3dsMax from Lightwave lwo geometry(OBJ2MAX V3.1) use the obj file format as well but understand that you can only have 1 uv map within the .obj file format. While Lightwave's multiple uv map feature is great if all your work stays within the Lightwave domain, I still attempt to use a single uv map just in case I need to use Lightwave modeled files within Maya or Max.

Mike RB
12-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Multiple UV maps works fine when brought into maya. We do this every day.

Mike

Chewey
12-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Are you using Prman with Maya?

oracle
12-02-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike RB
max and LW dont translate back and forth too well.
Has anyone tried the FBX plugin to see if it's any better :bounce:

I only use LW, otherwise I would have already tried it out already!

Here's a description if you don't know what FBX is: What is FBX? (http://www.lightwave3d.com/downloads/kaydarafbx.html)

Roger Eberhart
12-15-2002, 01:44 AM
Couple of questions from a Max user trying to make the switch:

1. Geospheres- specifically octohedrons with more than 8 sides. How can I make these in Lightwave? They are very efficient and easy to work with for low poly modeling.

2. Turning edges. Is there a good plugin in for this? I need it to work with tris rather than quads, so spin quads won't do the trick.

Thanks.

Chewey
12-15-2002, 02:46 AM
1 For geosphere try out "Platonic Solid"
it lets you create the following

cube
Tetrahedron
Octahedron
Cubeoctahedron
Icosahedron
Dodecahedron
Icosidodecahedron

Also check out "Super Quadratic" as it allows for creation of n sided toroidal or eliptical quadratic shapes.

Make sure you have the numeric window displayed (key stroke "n") to get to the options for those modeling functions

2 Use Spin Tri Pairs if you are using tris

Mpexus
12-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Roger Eberhart
2. Turning edges. Is there a good plugin in for this? I need it to work with tris rather than quads, so spin quads won't do the trick.

Thanks.

Search on www.flay.com for SpinPolyPair(free lscipt), it will spin two connected polygons, Tris or Quads, as long as the selected polys wont exced 4 points or be smaller than 3 points, they will spin at will.

Itīs a TIME SAVER, couldnīt live without it :applause:

Sil3

Roger Eberhart
12-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Neither the Platonic Solid or the SuperQuadric really fit the bill. The octahedron in the platonic solids is limited to 8 sides (in Max you can increase the complexity). The SuperQuadric is built out of quads and is not circular (even when you choose ellipsoid).

SplineGod
12-16-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Mazer
Wen I said wacom suport I meant pressure sensitive Eugeny but thanks, I've tryed that mode but it feels strange i'll steek to mouse mode..

One more thing though:

- I'm using the free spline tut from Larry Shultz and I have a question:

In max wen I'm working with patches, for instance too splines, crossection and surface modifiers I can go back to the splines, move the points and the surface updates.

In lightwave here is what im doing:
I make some points, create 4 splines, make a spline patch.

The question is if I whant to modify the splines can I do it so the patch updates or I need to recreate the patch ?
Lightwave doesnt create a realtime patched cage that is updated when you change the splines. I prefer SubD's for that kind of manipulation. Its easier to do that then create spline cages that behave that way. IT becomes way too constraining for me. Thats why I hate NURBS.
The problem with using splines in that way is that you cant have freefloating control points like I do. Every control point you add to one spline has to be added to all parallel splines and then a spline added across those points. If you notice that I prefer to patch manually. Its faster and less constraining and I can control the polygon count on a patch by patch basis. :)

SplineGod
12-16-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Roger Eberhart
Couple of questions from a Max user trying to make the switch:

1. Geospheres- specifically octohedrons with more than 8 sides. How can I make these in Lightwave? They are very efficient and easy to work with for low poly modeling.

Thanks.
You can use the quadratic tool, or create a ball that is tesselated or make a cube with multiple subdivisions and spherize it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.