PDA

View Full Version : go with the flow

watermelon
03-08-2005, 01:57 AM
i want to create an effect similar to the Queens of the stoneage video "go with the flow".

if you have not seen it, its a cell shaded type affair:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_04/shynola/header3.jpg

i know the actual video was done with 3d animation, but is there a way i can get a similar effect via after effects?

-Vormav-
03-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Have you seen the videos for the Apple Ipod commercials? It's sort of the same thing. Look for it on this page:
http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials.asp

The basic idea is that you setup your footage with a green screen; make all the parts that you want to blackout a different color in your scene. Once you've keyed out the green, you adjust the saturation and contrast to black out the character. With the white parts on the characters, you'd probably get the best results painting those layers in yourself, which would really be the hard, time-consuming part. I think if you lit your scene just right, and had a separate color painted where you want that white to show through, then you could potentially get that part down by keying that color out (on a separate layer), inverting the key, and then placing that over the other layer. But that would probably take a lot of tweaking, and probably wouldn't get a very smooth flow in the white.

Paulumbo
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Surley you just paint your actors black, make them wear black costumes with white cuffs, collars etc, shoot it against green screen key them out and put them in a cg enviroment.

berniebernie
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
if your background is light enough (and your actors dark enough =)) use the threshold to separate the thing in black and white and then overlay it (or underlay? it) with a solid color and change the blending mode of it so that the color comes through

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.