PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get Artists depression?

Simon
03-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Does anyone reckon there is a cure for us unhinged artists. I'm sure I'm not the only one who never feels quite at ease with everything.

I know artistic people have a tendancy towards depression/mental I'llness. (van gogh..). but does anyone get this lots? Like a whole load of the time?

...Last night I sat up at 2am in bed and thought how all I ever do is work for the things I want. Then I buy it and I want more. That I've fallen to the infinate wants of western civilisation. But then I make stuff.. but I never feel pride in it, and I feel I should be making more. Then I looked at my social life, and relationships everything seemed kinda pointless. Like a big loop constantly hammering down on me.

I just completed a £1000 job. juts booked a holiday to go see Rammstein in Germany. I should be dancing or summit.. we'll Im.. not.

Anyhoo.... I dont want this to turn into a sob story. But does anyone else suffer from "artists depression". I'm wondering if you people who do have ways of coping with it.

Cheers anway

Simon

BillSpradlin
03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
It's pretty common among a lot of people, not just artists, but I guess we all tend to be a little more susceptable to it. I've had troubles with it from time to time, it comes and goes. As I get older however, it's not as bad as it used to be however.

From what you said, you sound to be in a very similar part of life that I was in not too long ago. Buying new gadgest and toys to play with, getting a new car, new computer gear, all only bring temporary happiness. As time passes, the things that once brought you happiness only bring you sorrow and sadness because they wear down, get old and loose the luster they once held. True joy and happiness is not found in a new girlfriend, new car, new house, new whatever, it can only be found within. Until you unconditionally accept your life for what it is, and stop struggling to be something that you think you should be and just be who you are, you will not be truly happy.

Dennik
03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Personally (although i don't feel like spilling my guts out, in here) my only source of depression comes from a constant sentimental gap i have for quite some time now.
If that gets filled, i tend to believe my life will be much more balanced than it is right now.

But of course it is important to simplify your life, and want the things YOU realy need, not the things other people have.

Per-Anders
03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
juts booked a holiday to go see Rammstein in Germany

ah well there's your problem right there. ;)

jeffthomann
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
in the past... yes, I have fallen in to that sort of gap... both with art and with tech. There comes a time that you just start buying so much crap and gaining so much know how that it all seems pointless. I used to buy lots of tech books, read lots of 3d world mags, pc plus, etc. then more and more I found myself finding out more about the going ons in the tech world right here and on 3d buzz than in any magazine or book... so my days spent browsing at barnes and noble came to a halt. That's something that hit me kinda hard since I'd made it almost a biweekly obsession about a year and a half ago. As far as art goes, get out and go to a gallery or something. If you like reading, go pick up some old books at the library... or just go do something different. If you like doing art in the computer, go doodle on a real sketchpad, or whatever... It is true that material possessions can only get you so far.

ZeroNeuro
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I used to suffer from depression. Still do in some sort. Even I know that if I am feeling down and depressed I don't go hang out with goths or industrialites :D I love that scene but I go because I understand these people probably wear pink bunny slippers when they wake up, before going into the office. *chuckle*

'Goth' can be beautiful, yes. You just have to balance it out.

You just have to offset your depression not enhance it. If you feel dark, go walk through a park in broad daylight. (OMG THE SUN!) :D Don't swim in the gutter...

efem
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree with everything BillSpradlin said. EVERYTHING. However, I don't cope up as well as others may. What was said has always been at the back of our heads. We bring it forth when we need it (to cope) but since we don't practice it, live it everyday, unconditionally accept it, we go back to scratch when we fall into depression again. I AM GUILTY! But I'm not empty...and I believe neither are you.

One more thing...this is about the artist thing. And this goes out to everyone. I hope no one gets offended.

Since I was young I have shown talent. Drawing at first. Then I learned dancing. Then I wrote poetry. Then I learned music. Then I called myself an artist. Then I taught tap dance. Then I joined a marching band. Then I formed a rock band. Then I wrote songs. Then I wrote stories. Then I graduated architecture. Then I did a job on theater design. Then I joined a jazz band......... Then, I never stopped. Now I'm in CGTalk.

But I stopped calling myself an artist. Through all those years I realized that everyone has something he/she loves doing most. And it is because of this love that a person makes art. So, when everyone's a superhero, no one is.

I wasn't offended or anything by 99sproth's calling himself an artist. But, to say hey, i'm an artist, as an excuse for something, is quite offensive and foolish (if one truly puts in mind the real meaning of art).

More Power to you 99sproth. I hope you figure things out for the good of you. Thanks for being around, BillSpradlin.

I hope this thread gets more views and posts. It is a the best place to vent out.

deaderthanred
03-07-2005, 07:45 PM
for me, the cure for depression (other than coffee that is ambrosia, heheh) is having someone i can relate to. having a single friend who's as obsessed about computers/cg as i am is far better than hanging out with a whole herd of boring shallow people who thinks you're some computer freak who hides in her room all day and somehow enjoys it :D

leigh
03-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Be proactive.

PatternRecognition
03-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Aye, 99sproth, this also goes when setting your goals too high. And that always leads to some sort of artist's block (can be fore a few days to a few months). But I'm getting off-topic.

Daemos
03-07-2005, 07:56 PM
ah well there's your problem right there. ;)
Rammstein rocks :P
Well we can all get depressed, relax and go to the concert and enjoy yourself, just my advice ;)

Simon
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Bill: I suppose I just have to put time on that. And just wait till I mature a bit.

jeff: I've done exaclty the same in the past.

Efem: Very true. I also shouldnt of really made the whole artist thing. Maybe its just because i feel I have a duty to create things. But then I suppose everyone artistic or not has that?

deaderthanred: I agree, Its you guys on cgtalk that are my only outlet at the moment. I don't really have any friends who understand, or for that matter care what I do.

ZeroNeuro: I do go outside and I'm usually such a cheery chappy when Im around people. As scribbler put it.. No one likes a morbid bastard. I'm not some moody goth guy.

Leigh: I agree 100% there. I'm just not too sure how, thats why I posted asking how. I'm not usually one to mope around.

Yaroslav99
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry to be so rude but, get over yourself! If you ever feel depressed go hit on hot chicks at the mall.

Don Kayote
03-07-2005, 07:59 PM
According to Social Psychologist, Dipression is a mental illness that is an epidemic on a Global scale. Ruining relationships and physical health. It is a downward spiral of destruction.

The cure to depression is to live a healtier lifestyle. It is only by exercising can your body realease Dopemine and Endorphin into your blood stream. And stay away from activities that can escalate your seratonin level.

Healthy people are Happy people.

leigh
03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Leigh: I agree 100% there. I'm just not too sure how, thats why I posted asking how. I'm not usually one to mope around.

Just keep your brain busy all the time. That's what I do.

Simon
03-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Rammstein rocks :P
Well we can all get depressed, relax and go to the concert and enjoy yourself, just my advice ;)

I like most their music, although I can understand why people don't. But they have the best live pyrotechnics and effects, maybe the best gigs of any band.

I gotta agree. I think I'll try doing that. :)

(maybe the fact I've not got a client screaming down the phone on me is the reason I'm getting down. .. Now thats a werid thought.)

I walk 4 miles a day... not including walking my doggy. :shrug:

Garma
03-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I know artistic people have a tendancy towards depression/mental I'llness. (..) hitler...

Are you kidding?

I don't think it has anything to do with being artistically gifted. one third of the world is or has been depressed and visited a psychiatrist for that.

For you: don't ask us. You'll always better off asking a doctor, those people studied for giving good advice. If you don't feel like its an emergency, do what Leigh said :p

ThomasMahler
03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Oh man, I think everyone here has been in this situation more often than not... I had a down like that not even 2 weeks ago.

It'll always be the same story, you kinda disbelief in yourself, you're not happy at all with what you're doing... But you'll become happy again, believe me. Same old story...

Maybe it helps you to take a time out, try something different, listen to music you've never heard before, just try to find joy in things you've never enjoyed before!

Life can quickly feel like a worn out recording of a favourite song (Is that a line from a song? )), so don't overdo anything you love or it'll become bland really quickly...

KevinKraeer
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
I get depressed sometimes after finishing a large personal project. Which is kind of weird I guess.

Aside from that, I think it's easy to get discouraged/depressed when you're working 24/7 and still don't feel like you're getting anywhere. I feel that way from time to time, but usually it happens because I got a lousy night's sleep.

A lousy night's sleep will invite the inner demons everytime.

jeffthomann
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
If you ever feel depressed go hit on hot chicks at the mall.

Under some circumstances doing that could drive you deeper in to depression... just take a sketch pad with you to the mall and doodle. I used to do that in the cafe court. You typically get some people walking buy (some of which may be hot chicks?) that ask about your art. Can be nice to talk to someone like that off of the streets that show an interest in your work... typically if you take the sketch pad people won't mind. However, if you take the camera, expect some jackasses out there. I used to go to the local mall and take a lot of photos of cloudy days, sunsets, sunrises, etc. I did this all at the mall parking lot because it's one of the few places in town where you can get some decent sky shots without trees, buildings, etc. It's amazing how many real jerks out there will demand that you delete their photos from your camera immediately even if you weren't aiming at them or anything and don't have one pic of them on the camera.

tjnyc
03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Get a life and have a life outside your work or your art. That saved me from my depression, you need something to ground you. I used to get depressed all the time, got into a little bit of a destructive pattern, but I have a life outside work/art now that has kept me grounded for the past 6 years and I haven't been depressed since. I am also more productive now with my work/art than I was previously because I am in a better state of mind. It is also an issue of maturity, overcoming your insecurities, knowing not to beat yourself up and letting things go. Ultimately, you need to find whatever solution in yourself, either you can choose to be your worst enemy or your best friend, it is up to you, have faith in yourself.

Cheers,

Backenbotten
03-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Sorry, I couldn't resist to reply as a soon to be medical doctor (June 3rd).

In the medical field, there is a rather strict distinction between what is looked upon as disease ("real" depression) and neurosis, which is not called "depression", and by many in the profession seen as a form of normal variation, that it not a disease and therefor less of a subject for medical intervention (it might still might be a target for preventive actions). The "neurosis" is extremely common, and does most often not progress to depression, but it can. At the "neurosis" level (or whatever one wants to call it) you do have the ability to recognize there is a problem, take responsibilty and correct it yourself (numerous good pointers in this thread, many more on the Inet), most often without need for professional support.

If you can function acceptably well in your life (work, socially), then that is a very positive sign. It is by definition not possible to have "real depression" then (but you may be on the way to get there).

If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness, these are definately signs one should seek professional counselling for (especially if they remain over several weeks), because then you may benefit from professional treatment, and the sooner it starts the better off you will be. Also, one is likely not have the mental power to "get up" oneself. The best evidence treatment for mild to moderate depression today is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which deals with identifying, analyzing and modifying thoughts and behaviour, in itself or in combination with SSRI medication. It also provides you with mental strategies protecting you from depression in the future. Often, it is effective.

But, for most situations one can avoid falling into that gap. A lot of things have already been said, but sleep regular times, eat well and at regular times, do workout, avoid (excessive) alcohol and other drugs, take part in activities (even when you may not want to). Spend time thinking about what is important to you and what makes you happy, and then give that priority. And, of course, do not forget to visit CG talk regularly http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

All the best.

Kanga
03-08-2005, 01:33 AM
In this day and age when everything has to be perfect I feel there is nothing wrong with a good dose of the BLUES. There isn't anything to blame it on either although we always try to find something.

Feeling low as a snake belly is natural. When this happens to me I know its normal and I go make music or something. Wierd it seems to be a sin to have a downer. Being happy and chirpy all the time would drive me nuts :)

Its not psycology,... its logical. Nothing is free not even emotions.

Great work with your website BTW, keep it up :thumbsup:

vrf
03-08-2005, 02:10 AM
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

- C.S. Lewis

cyartist
03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
With all the trouble in the world getting depressed from that is actually healthy. It shows you got a heart and you give a damn. Eventually your art may be expression of how to make things better. Maybe a Cg movie with a story of hope.Your art is your testament to the world or it's just a paycheck you decide what your art is for. Find your love for yourself and humanity and express it to someone through your art. You will feel better because you just made the world a little better. Love cures depression even in it smallest
forms.

otacon
03-08-2005, 04:32 AM
God helps me through it.

Simon
03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist to reply as a soon to be medical doctor (June 3rd).

If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness, these are definately signs one should seek professional counselling for (especially if they remain over several weeks), because then you may benefit from professional treatment, and the sooner it starts the better off you will be. Also, one is likely not have the mental power to "get up" oneself. The best evidence treatment for mild to moderate depression today is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which deals with identifying, analyzing and modifying thoughts and behaviour, in itself or in combination with SSRI medication. It also provides you with mental strategies protecting you from depression in the future. Often, it is effective.

But, for most situations one can avoid falling into that gap. A lot of things have already been said, but sleep regular times, eat well and at regular times, do workout, avoid (excessive) alcohol and other drugs, take part in activities (even when you may not want to). Spend time thinking about what is important to you and what makes you happy, and then give that priority. And, of course, do not forget to visit CG talk regularly http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

All the best.

Thanks. I think that pretty much puts it on the table for me.

I think I must of just been hoping that it wasn't just me and that maybe other people on the forum would tell me that its normal. I think personally I might actually seek some help for this because I'm pretty blue at the moment, and I can truthfully say that I fit every Issue you have mentioned in that list.

jeff: Theres no mall round here, but I reckon I could find sumwhere to sit and draw. i think thats a great Idea. I used to do the same with my camera in places, but people were "jerks" like you say and so i gave up.

Kanga: More coming to the site soon! (If I can actually get some more ideas for it) I might start a forum for questions about cg work etc. But then there are so many forums out there...

Thomas: Yeah I think I need something radically different. I might just Jump on a plane to America one of these days and just spend a month traveling or something. Just to try and break the cycle.

Kevin: Problem is every nights sleep is lousey, even when I'm in bed at reasonable times and get a lye in.

vrf: So, so true. I've had that as my msn username for a month... :sad:

Well I might not be feeling much better, but at least I understand it a bit more now. I'll try and see if I can get some help, or something..

Cheers again guys ***group hug***

-Simon

E.Z. Schwartz
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
If Hitler was depressed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was an artist.

osxrules
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness

yup/yup, yup/yup, nope - weight gain (unintentional), yup and yup. Oh well, only 4/5, guess I'm ok.

I feel pretty bad all the time and exactly like the CS Lewis quote. Thanks for that Vrf. I just feel like I don't belong. Sure when I'm with family, I act fine, I laugh and get along with people but I don't have any true friends and I feel like it's all a pretence. Nothing means anything to me any more. I see our false society for what it really is. I'm not afraid of losing anything because I have nothing to lose. It doesn't bother me much, it's largely the choices I've made that make me feel this way. It also doesn't bother me because I don't think that what we see is all there is. I believe there is a greater truth. I've moved away from religion because it doesn't provide answers but I still believe there is something we can't know while we are alive.

I totally empathise with your feelings 99sproth. I was also under the impression that artists mostly suffer from depression. My experience has shown that. Of course it doesn't mean they are linked in that you have to be an artist to be depressed or otherwise nor does it mean other professionals don't suffer - I'm sure doctors suffer more than most with those long, long hours. I think it's just tough being an artist and I think that's what you were saying and with the quality of work on CGTalk, no one will deny that.

Simon
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
If Hitler was depressed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was an artist.

Hmm don't really want to go there (its not easy ground for me), but Hitler was actually a failed artist and much was to do with that. however he also got mustard gassed in WW2.. that would explain more. (why did I even bring him up!?)

leigh
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Hmm don't really want to go there (its not easy ground for me), but Hitler was actually a failed artist and much was to do with that.

I don't think his failings as an artist had anything to do with his genocidal activities, let alone "less" than any other reasons. If you can't get an image to look right, do you get cravings to invade Poland and wipe out an entire religious body of people?

It reminds me of a skit by Eddie Izzard where he imitates Hitler painting and says "Ohh I can't get ze f**king trees.... OH I WILL KILL EVERYBODY!!!"

Simon
03-08-2005, 09:31 PM
LOL I loved that entire show. Izzard is a King

( "you say 'erbs, we say herbs. Because its got a f**ing "H" in it! ) Best Izzard quote ever.

Infact its probably why I put that in the first place.

osx: Yeah I'm glad more people are in the same mindset as me. I know its hard for a lot of people to understand, or empathize, and other people are just dismissive of people who feel like this. You really have to feel it to know what its really like. I really hate it when I know people are thinking I'm just having a winge, or some late teenage angst.

Anyone seen "kids story" from the animatrix.

Thanks for the book name. I'll amazon it.

skull_leader
03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
How To Enjoy Your Life And Your Job
by Dale Carnegie

This is a great book, I read it couple of times and it really helped me. Why don't you try it, it doesn't cost too much anyway...

Arces
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Does anyone reckon there is a cure for us unhinged artists.
I'm not claiming to be an expert in these things - it's actually quite the contrary, but I've found one thing that's a 100% cure for depression. Well... *blushes* I know that it probably sounds a bit lame and can be considered a cliché, but the permanent remedy for depression that I found is (believe it or not) - love. :) Just pure, genuine, love. I never knew that a feeling this strong ever existed until it completely overwhelmed and enslaved my mind, body and soul. *sigh*
I hope that'll happen to you as well :)

Anyway, I'm sure that eventually you'll get over your "down-time" and then things won't feel as monotonuous and pointless as they do now. Believe me, this has happened to most - if not all - of us countless amount of times, but we're still all alive and kicking!

*thinking to himself* now THAT sounded like I'm some kind of hippie or something *gasps*
well... I guess that's what they mean with "feel the love, maaan!" ... ... ... and let da fooorce be with ya! *grins*

BrockSamson
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
I finnally got my first and current job in animation about a year and a half ago and for the first time in my life I make decent money. My wife and I moved into a nice apartment and I bought a really cool car (I'm a bit of gearhead), etc. I've noticed in the past few months that I'm becoming disinchanted with the consumer lifestyle. I keep thinking of that scene in Fight Club where Ed Norton's character is thinking along the same lines. I kind of think of it as an assention to a higher level of conciousness in my own life. Now that I no longer need to worry so much about a paycheck, I can start to think about higher level needs and the solutions to those questions are a lot harder to figure out. But it's all good, life wouldn't be any fun if all the answers were handed out ahead of time.

Backenbotten
03-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Arces, congratulations to that http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif From the short story I can read in your post, I tend to get the impression that you merely had a "down period" before that happy solution, because it is less likely for a person who has depression to be able to fall in deep love. For a person with depression, your ability to communiate with your own feelings ("feel things") and show them to others is impaired, your general interest for the world around you is low and you have low confidence. But of course I could be wrong.

I also felt this could be of interest:

Depression (as it is defined medically) is surprisingly common in the population in general. About 25% of men get it some time in their life, 40% for women. Most often it resolves spontaneously over a couple of years, but the odds are much better with treatment. About 20% of the Swedish popuation take SSRI every day (antidepressive medication, but is also used for some other problems, eg panic attack syndrome). Psychotherapeuts who know the best-evidence cognitive and behavioral treatment methods drown in work. It is the most common patient category for GP's, together with pain from the neck or back. So, it is very, very common.

There is most likely both a substantial under-diagnozing (mostly because people neither the doc don't realize they might have depression) and over-diagnozing (quite a few doctors tend to prescribe SSRI medication as a test even when patients have very few and light symtoms, and then patients may continue to take it for long, likely without need.)

I looked around a bit and found only a very few scientific articles on depression among artists. It is quite easy to study how common it is, and I know it has been done, and there is an overrepresentation (don't remember how much). There is a lot of unanswered questions why that is though. I believe there should be risk factors and conditions that are unique to artists, but I wont speculate in that now... anyone else?

Take care you all.

OptimusDinkus
03-09-2005, 04:47 AM
Philosophy class's helped me answer alot of questions I had about problems which availed very vague answers through other means(proffessional/religious examples). I dont want to sum up what i learned but at the same time, the only thing that makes me down is not having anything to do at all or doing the same thing over and over again.

JulianHo
03-09-2005, 08:53 AM
My method of curing depression is to do several little enjoyable productive activities every single day. :) Slow and easy does the trick, no sense in swallowing the entire elephant-sized problem, eh?

Matellis
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I used to get depressed when I was young about 17 yrs old , but I find now only being 22 I feel great. I think about all the problems in the world and how i can make a difference with my art and I get uplifted. I dont make any money with my art right now and I barely have any money , hell i even find it hard to pay rent and eat health but ya know people tell me that I am the happiest person they know. Maybe its not from sweating the small stuff. Just realize that its all a learning experience. Even the wanting to buy whateve and make money. Someday you will realize thats all pointless and just be happy that your alive and one of the few that can "create". We can all make a difference its just about passion in not only your art but your life. To be a true artist you must have an artful life. And unfortunatly most art is about suffering and struggle. Who wants everything passed to them on a silver platter. I don't ..

CGTrader
03-09-2005, 10:16 AM
"depresion"/being happy state I see as a constant and natural sinusoidal variation. I even found a validity for myself this state to be natural - you can't be happy all the time, because soon you would be bored (appetite comes with eating). On the other hand you can't dodge down times by force of external factors, besides it lets you to go up and know happines from the start. Importantly your average happines should be not less than neutral. Otherwise there is a lot of tips in this thread how to deal with this.

take care :thumbsup:

osxrules
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
You really have to feel it to know what its really like. I really hate it when I know people are thinking I'm just having a winge, or some late teenage angst.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't even let people in my life know how I feel any more because I know they wouldn't understand. Although I'm not sure it's so much about understanding as being able to do anything about it. I don't think there is an external cure for feeling like this, it has to come from the inside. The problem I have is that I feel like this because I choose to see everything as meaningless. In order for me to be happy, I'd have to change that opinion. It's like the saying goes: life is not worth living until you find something you are willing to die for. That could have a flawed meaning in that if you are willing to die for nothing then life is worth living but it really means that until you find or make a purpose for your life, you can't be satisfied. As Agent Smith points out:

Agent Smith: But, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here. We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.
Agent Smith Clone 1: It is purpose that created us.
Agent Smith Clone 2: Purpose that connects us.
Agent Smith Clone 3: Purpose that pulls us.
Agent Smith Clone 4: That guides us.
Agent Smith Clone 5: That drives us.
Agent Smith Clone 6: It is purpose that defines us.
Agent Smith Clone 7: Purpose that binds us.
Agent Smith: We are here because of you, Mr Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us.
Agent Smith: Purpose.

Some people create meaning in their lives with love, family, career but if you are looking from the outside, it doesn't make sense. You have to be part of the system. If you don't want to be part of the system (like me), another world beckons. The Matrix is one of my favourite films of all time because it presents that idea so fluently.

but the permanent remedy for depression that I found is (believe it or not) - love.

I don't agree with that. A lot of people have been saying the same thing, even on other forums I visited. To me love is no more than a bodily interpretation of compatibility. I have been in love with people but only because I have things in common or because the girl was so stunningly attractive. The latter is lust but people sometimes consider that love or it leads to love.

I got the feelings in my stomach and thought about them from the time I got up until the time I went to bed. However, if I was blind and deaf, I would never have been in love at all. It's not a transcendental force that supercedes everything, it's false and material just like everything else.

Love also is not permanent. Humans don't seem to me capable of being totally selfless and unconditionally loving.

jmBoekestein
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
99sproth, you have some timing on you man.

I woke up this morning(afternoon actually) and thought to myself no I'll first check on cgtalk for some nifty knowhow. I just spent a whole week away from the school that I really love, just because. I'm glad to hear about other people who have similar problems.

To underline what Backencotten was saying, I usually treat myself in this way. I carefully look at the situation and try to rationalise it. Then I figure out what is really bothering me(not the freudian way mind you), and convince myself to set small new goals and change my behavior. Which I failed at miserably yesterday and today. CRAP! moodswing!

I think it's also something readily found with challenge people. One challenge is met and the automatically supplied drugs from our brain are no longer supplied to us. SO we feel down like junkies and start looking for another challenge. It sucks but it makes some perform quite well.

stop...moodswing...stop...:shrug:

Gamoron
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I just lost my whole ****ing reply because I pressed tab and something else! Argh! and this was meant to be uplifting.

So here is a condensed version. mutter mutter

1. Get someone to love. Just like that Queen song.

I'm a relationship person. My girlfriend has been the greatest balancing force in my life. I drank a lot before meeting her and was often depressed and had many sleepless nights. Light sleeper too. Now I still drink :D but I sleep way better , rarely depressed and oh yeah when I sleep I saw logs.

If you're not a relationship person, just go be a pig. I'll be jealous you're getting laid in so many varied ways and that will make you happy!

2. Listen to appropriate music.

I listened to all that thinking, depressing and inspiring stuff for years. Wasn't very appropriate when I wanted to have fun. So I listen to fun stuff when I want to have fun or be more upbeat. Thing is there is a lot of smart fun music out there. Musicians don't have to be morbid and sad to have a message. I still listen to sad stuff too, but like I said don't listen to Rammstein when you're feeling up-beat.

3. Cook good food.

I watch foodtv religiously. I love to cook and by cooking better food, I eat better and feel better.

And of course exercise and all that shit.

Warning: doing the above can have a negative effect on your art. Not being depressed all the time certainly dulls the compulsive feeling to create art that I created before I felt this way.

Feeling better is euphoric. So if you're like me and depression drove your art forward, like me you'll have to figure out what you're muse is.

Hope this helps

jmBoekestein
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Getting a pet also seems a pretty good idea, I have loads of cats in my home...I sometimes call them my brothers and sisters, they're amazing...

Don Kayote
03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Mood colours your perseption of reality.

Don't take my word for it, Try it!
- Put an angry facial and body expression,
-Now look at somthing, anything,
-What do you feel towards it?

Now try other emotions, happyness, sadness, confusion,
-now look at the same object again.
-What do you feel?

Amazing isn't it? :)

So if you're killing someone with a smile on your face, you'll feel much happier doing it.

FabioMSilva
03-09-2005, 05:54 PM

she's right. But dont overdo it or you'll become even more depressed. I also dont recomend u to study Fernando Pessoa or most philosophers, as u will most likely get a urge of killing yourself...well...didnt happen for me, but it's depressing.

but when i'm really really depressed, here's what i do:

Put a cool energetic music on with high volume, Get up from the chair, give a tremendous punch against the wall(tough i'm used to it since little), get down on the ground, make some push-ups until u get really tired , get up sit down, drink water, and if u still have energy try doing some karaoke even if u suck at it(if u suck at it, u'll relax alot faster when u realize how comical your voice is).
That way u have tired not only your brain but also your body(music+workout). You'll star feeling better as u continue your work because you're also resting your body.

as for the punch, pain sometimes breaks your thoughts which is really helpful(but in this case the punch is mainly for style :D ).
And oh yeah, i bite my hand when i start to get sleepy.

Simon
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
as for the punch, pain sometimes breaks your thoughts which is really helpful(but in this case the punch is mainly for style :D ).
And oh yeah, i bite my hand when i start to get sleepy.

As for me the punch went straight through 4 inches of plasterboard. That was when I was really bad a few years ago.

Thanks for all those inputs guys I'll try the stuff like music and stuff.

Food is a good idea, that adds to everything if i havnt got a good meal in a while, I get pretty sh*tty.

Simon

FabioMSilva
03-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh...your houses are made of that stuff? i see...so u guys cant use the punch heh :\, houses here are made of PURE solid cement, bricks and steel, there is no damn typhoon who cant turn this stuff around.

i just remembered The WEATHER is one of the mainly depressive reasons. If it is a bright day, with birds singing, there wont be many chances of a person getting depressed(sometimes happen tought) - Like a day where clouds cover the sun really sux. I prefer rain to that stuff(it is clouded today...dammit).

i dont know if food will solve the depression...but i'm always eating so i dunno . lol

cheers mate. get "undepressed" soon.

Maidith
03-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Well, I exactly know when I'm gonna have my next "artist's depression" because it appears annually, seasonally. :)
It begins in February every year, when I suddenly have great ideas for new paintings I need to start painting at once - and, a wonder! - it goes all very easy and I get results I'm really satisfied with. This "artistic" period of me has its climax in March (which would be right now =D) and ends in May to Juny. From Juny to August I try to paint further and further, but my works don't get as good as I want them to be. From September to December my artist's mood has reached it deepest spot and I'm not able to create anything decent. But when finally January comes, it slowly awakes again.

I'd say that I'm a person of spring and summer. My works are usually very colorful and bright, maybe I'm able to paint this best in colorful and bright seasons. I don't know exactly. But I've noticed my come-and-go of "artistic mood" since 2001 now.

Nguyen
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I get depressed alot before, I had a pretty troubled teenage life where I spent a very long time away from home. That caused me to be chronically depressed. I found that my only method of expressing myself was through reading, writing, and drawing. As years past I became more despondent as my family and friends drifted away... I searched for answers in books and looked for spirituality but it never fit, no matter how much I've learned in books and how much I listened in church, I knew that depression was still worldwide and not unique to me. There is no over-the-counter medicine for it. I felt worthless and unable to resolve my situation. I felt like a thorn in someone else's garden. I gave up on life for awhile and questioned if i've ever been happy even as a kid.

Finally, one day, I felt like being happy. I felt that I deserved happiness unconditioned and unfettered to this world or it's current events. I didn't like who I was and what I was doing. I didn't like how the only time I felt comfortable was when I was up at night alone when everyone was sleeping. I wanted to feel normal and lived like the people I saw on TV. I wanted to function and be happy. Then I was, simply cause I wanted it bad enough. I sought to strengthen my relations with my peers and family and more happiness came. I started building the ideal person that I would like to be. I became fluid allowing my emotions to surface and acknowledge what my discomforts were and promise to work on myself accordingly without placing too much stress. I worked at it like it was a painting that need much care, I worked at it, practiced, smiled at myself when I'm doing okay, laughed at myself when I F*cked up...no biggie.

I like who I am now, I'm still not completely comfortable (who is anyways unless you're an A-hole or completely have no self awareness) but I know where I came from and how far I have come. It's the journey.

P.S. Surround yourself with positive people even if you feel you're uncomfortable amongst them, just pretend you're on the same level...with confidence, or else you'll just come off as being creepy.

Cynical_Saint
04-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I know artistic people have a tendancy towards depression/mental I'llness. (van gogh..).

Ok, forgive me for what I have to do next. hehe

I am (perhaps un-naturally) obsessed with Van Gogh and I can't help but defend this subject whenever I hear it. It bothers me when Van Gogh is only referred to as 'The insane artist who lopped off his ear". (I know thats not what you said, but bear with me).

I have spent loads of time reading up on Van Gogh biographies, and more importantly, most of his letters sent to Theo. The letters do indeed show his depression, and he does often times attribute it to his work. Yet often times, sometimes in the very same letter, he states how much better painting made him feel.

I think more than his art, Van Gogh's depression came from the series of bad circumstances that he dealt with throughout his life. I really suggest that you guys even slightly interested, pick up a bio on him. Vincent had a really difficult life, in all areas he seemed to be plagued with failure (or assumed failure). In many towns where he lived, he was viewed as an outcast, as 'that wierd guy'. He watched artists around him sell their work, while he did not have the same success. Every relationship he had (romantic or otherwise) failed with the exception of his Brother, and interestingly enough there were tensions in that relationship in the last month of his life.

I don't feel that art caused or affected his Depression at all. It is my personal opinion that a true chemical imbalance coupled with a series of difficult events are what drove his depression.

Now on the subject of Artistic Depression: I subscribe to this theory for a couple reasons. Sure, depression is not limited to artists but I feel that certain types of artists are at greater risk.

My definition of Art is the conveyance of emotion. Whether it be through drawing, painting, music or any other medium, I feel that if you can convey your emotion or the emotion of others, then you are an artist. I think that tapping into emotions like this can be 'risky' for certain people who may not have the ability to control it when the floodgates open. Add to that fact, that most with agree that negative emotions make for 'easier' art if not for better art. If you need proof, take a browse through dA and just see how much pain there is there.

Whether there is a 'cure' or not I couldn't say because I am not a Doctor. Further, no offense intended, I personally don't have a great confidence that Doctors have a good enough handle on some mental conditions in order to offer up usefull advice either.

These of course are just my opinions.

I think a fitting quote that I read in someones Sig here on CGTalk is as follows:

"Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one." ~unknown

SoniaNotRed
04-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, I wish I could be of help but I've been looking for a way out for the past 16 years or so (I'll be 32 this summer) and I have no idea of how I'll ever pull it off.:shrug: I think I already tried everything suggested here - plus a lot of other stuff - and got nowhere.

Depression (or just plain emotional distress) can be inspiring - my greatest creations came out of my darkest hours - but too much of it and you're history. As it turned out, I was left with all this wondrous ideas and absolutely no will or inspiration (or whatever) to bring them into existence. (Plus, it pretty much f***ed up my whole life!)

When I take the time to care about it it's just so damn frustrating! :banghead: I know I have the potencial to go very far in art but I'm not allowed to evolve with this thing always standing in my way or holding me back. Most days of the year I draw like a child and then - randomly - I find myself using skills and techniques I just seem to have absorbed from stuff I see.
No practice makes perfect with me (actually, it's usually the opposite - go figure!).

On the bright side (and it's a miracle there's still one!) you (we all) got CG Talk.
Man, I wish I had this way back in the beginning!
A place where people "speak your language" and - even if we could see each other - woudn't look at you funny if you said you were born to create.
A place to learn from those who really know about this stuff - and even to learn from those who don't know that much yet!
I've always loved learning and I guess I'm just too stubborn to quit trying!:p

Still, I hardly think it will be enough to solve things... And since I too live in Portugal, hitting the walls with my bare fists does not really contribute to improve my skills... :D

I'm rambling...
Good night!

sundialsvc4
04-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Don't overlook the fact that depression is a bona-fide illness. It doesn't mean "you're crazy." It does mean that your brain is "a part of your body" too. Trouble is, when you're inside, it can be hard to spot a problem and even harder to look at it "objectively." Sometimes people around you can spot it more clearly than you can; understandably so.

My point is... don't live with it. You don't have to. And for heaven's sake don't do anything rash! Instead, consider the possibility of illness ... treatable, perfectly normal illness ... and seek appropriate professional help. Mental illnesses can be very subtle sometimes, and they can be very devastating ... they can make your life a wreck simply because you don't know what's happening and don't know how it can be dealt with. (You're "inside," and therefore affected by what's going on.)

You'd seek treatment for a cough and sore throat. This is just another part of your body.

BOY1DA
04-08-2005, 12:52 AM
SEX that always does the trick for me.
Most of the time I'm depressed because, I'm stuck working on my art
when I could be having sex instead. Once I have sex, I have what I like to call
"my moment of clarity", and I think man what a waste of time I wish I was working on my art LOL!

Also....

It reminds me of a skit by Eddie Izzard where he imitates Hitler painting and says "Ohh I can't get ze f**king trees.... OH I WILL KILL EVERYBODY!!!"
That works for me aswell :twisted:

Simon
04-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Wow this thread got resurrected. :)

Maidith: I dont know how you can ever be depressed, if ure as old as people on your dev art say.. and your producing work that good. Thats amazing!

sundialsvc4: The irony of you comment I've had a soar throat for 4 months, the only way to fix it is surgery so Im putting that off. much like my downward streak. I always see any treatment to depression as either a "numb" drug that turns you into a zombie, or just talking to a shrink for far too mcuh money than I could ever afford.

SoniaNotRed: I agree I make most of my great art when I'm down in the dumps. I wish I could produce good art when I'm happy. :P.

Cynical_Saint: I'm sorry I read a lot about him too, I'm sorry for writing that idiot steriotypical veiw. I just always seem to relate myself to him in my feeling of failure and desperation. he wasnt insane.. I genralised and it was wrong to do so.. but I cant help but think we are living in the same world of sh*t.

BOY1DA: I think Ill have to go with the kill everybody stance. I find I work so hard at relationships and then she always turns around and stamps me into the ground. I see it all as a waste of time in the end. Although I've never dated a female artist... ( HOT GIRLS > EMAIL ME )

..No really.. do...

:cry:

Simo

steffenoid
04-08-2005, 01:26 AM
According to Social Psychologist, Dipression is a mental illness that is an epidemic on a Global scale. Ruining relationships and physical health. It is a downward spiral of destruction.

The cure to depression is to live a healtier lifestyle. It is only by exercising can your body realease Dopemine and Endorphin into your blood stream. And stay away from activities that can escalate your seratonin level.

seriously, I was having issues at school until I joined the cross country team. Wow, what a difference

Simon
04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
seriously, I was having issues at school until I joined the cross country team. Wow, what a difference

I was in the cross country team at school to. I walk 2 miles a day now and another few on that. Plus I swim a lot.

Being healthy might help, but long walks do help me to think. Even if its about depressing things.

Si

ambient-whisper
04-08-2005, 01:40 AM
most of these "artistic depressions" are caused by lack of activity/inspiration.
if your brain isnt fed enough blood/oxygen then you dont really feel energetic. if you dont feel energetic you do nothing. if you do nothing your viewed as depressed.
if you start to work out, and be active then your body will be able to take in more oxygen and so sending more to your brain.

from there you can try to read more. a brain is like one large muscle, you have to give it some excercise to make it work better.

do like leigh says, be proactive. ( but my suggestion is to do it physically as well as mentally )

BOY1DA
04-08-2005, 02:05 AM
BOY1DA: I think Ill have to go with the kill everybody stance. I find I work so hard at relationships and then she always turns around and stamps me into the ground. I see it all as a waste of time in the end. Although I've never dated a female artist... ( HOT GIRLS > EMAIL ME )

..No really.. do...

Simo
I don't recall saying anything about relationships ?!?! Ahhhh sex and violence, I feel better already.

Simon
04-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Prostitutes?

Meh. In this country you need to do a little to get a girl into the sack.

Ahhhh sex and violence,

Oh god, please not at the same time. your not one of those kinda people are you. (with your leather headgear) LMAO.

Simon

BOY1DA
04-08-2005, 03:59 AM
Prostitutes?

Meh. In this country you need to do a little to get a girl into the sack.

Oh god, please not at the same time. your not one of those kinda people are you. (with your leather headgear) LMAO.

Simon

Well I never tried either, even tough I would look pretty kool in a leather gimp outfit.
And I also tend to notice that play fighting with females most of the time leads to some other good stuff. Common' dude keep your pimp hand strong ,I'm sure you can use your artist creativity to rope
in some babes, plus no matter where you are girls like to get it on for the pleasure of it too.
But you have to admit any sexual activity always takes your mind off of whatever is depressing you at the time. Whatever form it may take for individuals.

And as for violence, you see a lot of art with chicks holding big guns.
And most big movies tend to have a lot of violent images, as well as a lot of harder music.
so that has to say something about peoples appetite in that kind of stuff.

But all of the above tends to be a great release for my inner demons.

Pimpulus Erectus
04-08-2005, 04:49 AM
I get ARTIST DEPRESSION, when I think about all the years I've spent in/and or trying to get in the industry and the fact that I have yet to ever once earn a decent paycheck.

Spinmeister
04-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Often self reflection ends up being a disturbing experience. In my artistic path I have sought out a variety of spiritual advisors and leaders. Yoga gurus speak of "Karma Yoga," being up and doing acts of selfless service. This may be all too much like art or animation work, but comes back to attitude and approach. If you do something out of love while expecting nothing in return, you will not be making yourself unhappy. Unfortunately unscrupulous spiritual leaders and employers can take advantage of this blissed out attitude. Hitler had the words "Arbeit Macht Frei" (Work Makes [You] Free) over the entrance to one of his concentration camps.

So, as the Native American Indian elders say, "Walk in balance." I had the good fortune of knowing Rolling Thunder (http://www.mediaspin.com/hank/rt.html) who also advocated keeping busy to "avoid brooding."

Ilikesoup
04-08-2005, 08:28 PM

..No really.. do...

Simo

From a few of your posts, I get the feeling this isn't so much an artistic depression as a relationship funk. More work and shopping won't solve the problem, either. Whether you're looking for a friend to hang out with or a Mrs. 99sproth, you might have to make time for a social life. Team sports are a great way to meet people and get your required amount of exercise. Play co-ed team sports and you're all set!

BTW, a co-worker recently emailed me with this (shortened) parable:

A teacher stood in front of his class with an empty jar, a basket of golf balls, some pebbles, sand and two cans of beer. He poured the golf balls into the jar until it was "full", then added pebbles, sand, and finally the beer. The lessons he demonstrated were:

--Make sure you schedule the most important things first. Don't fill the jar with sand because you'll never get the golf balls in. (Sometimes work = golf balls, sometimes exercise = golf balls).
--There's always room for two beers. :beer:

scottsch
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Depressed, huh. The man's got you down. Just one more cog in the machine sort of thing.

Go rent Donnie Darko. Or Heathers. Or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

If you don't drink good coffee... start.

Whatever you do, don't dwell on how much money you will spend on license upgrades this year.

:)

.:ZRDwD:.
04-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Why I'm posting this, I have no clue. It's best to be an enigma than a solved puzzled.

I've been clinically diagnosed with "meloncholy" since my teenage years and having a complex thinking pattern ever since I could take steps. For a short period in my teen life, I had to take prescription anti-anxiety pills and anti-depressants until I forfeited them. I gave up on them because of two things: bad physical side effects and it prohibited my imagination.

Without my imagination, I prefer death. I thrive off of my creativity. I thrive not sleeping while trying to figure out the mathmetical complexities that correspond with Leonardo da Vinci's Proportions of the Human Body. My "pain" conjures the most disturbing art, yet, it is fulfulling to accomplish the finish piece. When a feeling of completeness and serenity succumbs me, I lose all inhibitions in my art. I forget how to handle a pencil, brush, or whatever technique or measure I may happen to use. And with a streak of bad luck constantly on my shoulders, I find no problem getting back in the rush of things once again.

I have been asked why I enjoy the choosing of a theme of artwork that isn't accepted widely in the art community. I can't help but to explain the beauty of a tornado, of the cataclysmic flows of lava from a volcanic eruption, or the hypnotic attention of the power of a mushroom atomic cloud. There's a beauty in the ugly of things; a ray of light within a dark room. When I construct my pieces, I see who I am. People see "evil". I see my heart. It's my emotion concealed in dirt. No one can see it, unless they can interpret it by taking into consideration EVERYTHING within it and not just the theme.

Depression, whether a psychosis or neurosis, is needed in my life. But, yes... I do need balance. But, it is hard for me to find any friends of a platonic or intimate nature if it appears everyone I come into contact is either too stoned, too drunk, or more messed-up than me. :D But, I'm enjoying my artistic streak. I'm getting things done that I wish to do. Trying different techniques, different theories, and smoking a whole lot more cigs.

I find that with depression you don't have to follow the "rules" of art and still come up with a powerful piece. It appears that too many people involve themselves with correct lighting, color proportions, and what-not. Whatever happend to... originality? Isn't that what makes you artistic? If I follow the rules, wouldn't I be like everyone else, despite being nuts?

That's my rant. Run with it. At least I figured out why I spent the time writing this....
No one reads my stuff, anyway. :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2005, 06:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.