PDA

View Full Version : <Problem> Boned eyes and warped texturemap.

IronGoblin
09-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Howdy.

I've got this headobject, with eyes. Eye is made of two spheres. One a little smaller than the other. The inner spehere has two surfaces. One for the white area around the iris, and ofcos one for the iris itself. The outer sphere has one surface.

The head and the eyes are in the same layer. The eyes (all spheres) has weightmaps (two weightmaps) attached to them.

In Layout i've added one bone for each eye. (Only affecting its eye's weightmap) The bones are targeted to one null each (right in front of the iris) and each targetnull is parented to another null (for direction etc.)

This could have been showed in one screenshot, but i aint got that option right now).

Now to the problem. When i move my main target null (the one each target null is parented to) the texturemap in the iris-surface is all warped (note: i dont have any other maps on any other surfaces).

Does anyone have any clue what causes this? (i might be able to show screenshot later this afternoon)

Sure hope you can help me out.

Eugeny
09-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Looks like u use world coordinates foe your texture map, if not try UV instead of planar (or cylindrical - i don't know that kind of mapping u use now) should work.

IronGoblin
09-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Thnx for the suggestion, but I'm sure I don't use world coordinates. I use flat mapping on the z-axis, and as far as im concerned it should work fine.

Should I remove the back of the eyes? Right now they are spheres, and my bone is sentered in the middle of the eye... could this be the cause?

Maybe it will work if i redo the bonesetup one more time.

Eugeny
09-20-2002, 11:01 AM
I don't thing that u mast remove the opposite side of the eyes. May be check the weight map of eyes - may be u have some point not assigned to weight so with eye bones movement this pont/s not moved?
... another solution is separate the eyes from head and post each eye on his layer, then move the pivot of eye to the center of eye boll and make some hierarchy using layers window (ctrl+F5), then in Layout simple use null for eye target.
... or just make one eye in the separate layer (or even object)in 0 0 0, bring him to Layout, parent him to head bone and position him in place, then make a clone for second eye and position him. With this set up u don't longer need to use weight maps with bones for eyes...

Rogue
09-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Is it the texture map that is warping? If so, it does sound like world coordinates are one. If that's not the case, you can try to use the null in front of the iris as a texture reference and turn that option on in the surfaces panel.

Or, is it the geometry that is warping? If this is the case, you may have inadvertently assigned another weight map to the eye object somewhere. Double check that. Also make sure you subdivision order is set to last on the object.

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.