PDA

View Full Version : Future of shake on linux

Als
03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
We are thinking about geting shake on linux.
But is this right decision, since apple might/will shut off linux version?
However mac version sounds great, hardware cost goes out of the roof
(we need lot's of RAM, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Als

beaker
03-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Apple told us at siggraph that they have no plans to discontinue the linux version anytime soon and that they would be expanding the support for it. The linux version is definatly faster than the OSX version but there are a few missing features: Sound(it supports sound in the timeline but you can't actually hear it), Quicktime support(because apple doesn't support qt on linux) and free render node support(there are no render nodes on linux, just nongui versions which run about 2k per machine).

So if your working with a lot of video and quicktime files and have no IT support person then you might want to look at a mac. If you want the fastest machines out there and have a support person to setup and maintain everything, then go for linux. If you don't have support then you are going to spend a lot of time getting linux up and running and talking to each other.

However mac version sounds great, hardware cost goes out of the roof
(we need lot's of RAM, etc.)
Most places I have worked at go out and buy Boxx stations which cost maybe $500 less then a G5 so the price difference is not that different. As for the ram, all OEM's overcharge for ram by 2-4x the cost. The ram on Apple machines are the exact same ram as you get in a pc. So like you do when your buying any machine, you get the lowest amount of ram with your config and go out and buy 3rd party ram elsewhere.

Als
03-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Great.
That's more then I expected for an answer.

Thanks a lot!!!

Als

blacknoise
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
i would expect apple to finally make quicktime for linux.

freestyler82
04-13-2005, 11:23 AM
As for the ram, all OEM's overcharge for ram by 2-4x the cost. The ram on Apple machines are the exact same ram as you get in a pc. So like you do when your buying any machine, you get the lowest amount of ram with your config and go out and buy 3rd party ram elsewhere.

u mean we can use normal pc ram on mac too??

beaker
04-13-2005, 05:51 PM
u mean we can use normal pc ram on mac too??Yes, you have been able to since the G3 days 8 years ago. The current G5's use standard PC3200 ram.

MadSkillzMan
05-09-2005, 05:47 AM
dumb question, but shake on linux only pertains to running it on SGI boxes correct? Or can it run on x86 linux?

beaker
05-09-2005, 07:16 AM
x86 linux. It only runs under irix on sgi.

http://www.apple.com/shake/specs.html
Linux
1GHz Pentium III, Pentium 4, or AMD Athlon processor or faster
Red Hat Linux 9
512MB of RAM or more
1GB of disk space for caching and temporary files
Workstation-class graphics card, such as NVIDIA Quadro2 or Quadro4
Display with 1280-by-1024-pixel resolution and 24-bit color
Three-button mouse

MadSkillzMan
05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
oh holy crap linux has something windows doesnt lol.

Ive had my time to play with shake (student discounts) i think its quite a change from combustion/AEFX. Im sure ill get it though. Something about it reminds me of win3.1, dont know why.

buttachunk
05-10-2005, 05:45 PM
oh holy crap linux has something windows doesnt lol..

Linux has ALOT that windows doesn't. Stability, lack of virus/malware problems, constant updating, Discreet Flint and Smoke, Shake, IFX Piranha, (the high end compositing and editing apps), etc.

MadSkillzMan
05-11-2005, 06:23 AM
well i meant in the ways of multimedia. and i thought all those apps ran on SGI only?

EDIT: wow i just read up on pihrana, WOW. thats darn impressive. no mac version lol thats an amazing prog man.

1 newb question, whats proxy in terms of video? ive heard of it in shake

lazzhar
05-11-2005, 08:51 AM
1 newb question, whats proxy in terms of video? ive heard of it in shake

Instead of working on your full resolution footages, fatset would be reducing the size to 1/2 or 1/4 to work with. The small version is caulled proxy. People use it for animation and all stuff you can do in compositing then they switch back to the original full resolution.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2005, 08:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.