PDA

View Full Version : 3D Motion Tracking PROBLEMS! NEED EXPERT HELP !!

theforce121
03-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi All,

I am having serious trouble with motion tracking. I am basically trying to add 3d objects in live footage.

I am using "REALVIZ MATCHMOVER PRO 3.0" I am having alot of trouble. The only thing i know how to do is, press the auto tracker button in matchmover and export the maxscript file. but i am getting really bad results!!

Firstly....

When i export the max script file to 3ds max, the camera is facing the bottom. Why is this? all the movements are there but just the camera and the null points are facing the bottom.

What is the best way to do motion capture, what is the motion capture software actually looking for?

Is there a way to do a manual tracking, if so what is the best place to place my tracks and how many do i need?

I really do need help and i would be very very grateful is someone could kindly explain this or anything i may have missed about motion tracking.

Take care all

John

beaker
03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
You really need to read the matchmover manuals because your questions are answered in the first few chapters of the basics tutorials.

I'll give you a few hints though. With the auto tracker, it trys to guess what objects in the scene are moving and which are not. So in order to help it out you want to mask out any objects in the scene that are moving independent of the camera.

When i export the max script file to 3ds max, the camera is facing the bottom.
Why is this? all the movements are there but just the camera and the null points are facing the bottom.

3dsmax is what we call Z-up space, where most 3d apps use what is called Y-up space. You will see this occur when you import any models from other apps, they will be sideways. There is probably a setting in matchmover's preferences that allows you to work in Zup instead of Yup. They might be in the 3dsmax exporter options or somewhere else. If not then simply group everything and rotate it in 3dsmax.

What is the best way to do motion capture, what is the motion capture software actually looking for?

Not sure what you mean by this, matchmoving and motion capture are two separate things. Please elaborate on this question a little more.

Is there a way to do a manual tracking, if so what is the best place to place my tracks and how many do i need?

This is some of the stuff I was talking about that was explained in the basics of the manual. It really depends on how complex the shot is and how much information you have about the shot(film back, camera lense, etc...). Also depends on how much stuff is moving independent of the camera. You need anywhere from 6-35+ tracks depending on how long they stay in the cameras FOV(field of view). You want to place the tracks on anything that has a large lumination difference from other objects around it. Usually when you are filming the shot you place down tracker markers.

theforce121
03-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi beaker!!

I really cant thank you enough for all thank great information you provided me with .

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

that was a great help and made things very clear!!!

take care and i wish you all the best in your future projects.

John

JorgeIvanovich
07-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi im having some trouble with Boujou,the fottage it`s preety long 700 frames aprox
Its a car in a street with the camera pointing at a front/side angle the thing it`s that
the track perform well until a curve near the end,the weird thing it`s that boujou do the track perfect but to the other side i mean the car turns to left and the 3d scene turns in the oposite direction,the scene geoetry is well described so it`s not fliped

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 10:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.