PDA

View Full Version : WIP : Iron Angel, Paul Ganguly

PaulGanguly
03-05-2005, 11:09 PM
This began as a speedpainting challenge on another forum. The topic was 'Iron Angel'. My take on the concept was an angel becoming iron.

Here's what I had after an hour:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/paulganguly/iron_angel_3.jpg

Here's how it looked with another hour of refinement:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/paulganguly/iron_angel_3_update.jpg

If anyone can give me any ideas as to which direction to go with the background, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks folks,
-Paul Ganguly

laber
03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
the colours from the second one are great! i like them very much. the anatomy is very nice also. for the background, probably a bunch of clouds, with cool backlight :) or some greek architecture
i think it would be more dramatic if he looks up to his hand

ms@zx
03-06-2005, 05:02 PM
hey,i like the 2nd one too..did a good job on the muscles,but like what laber mentioned..i think its better with some backgrounds rather than just the ray .keep this going..its gonna be a good piece:)

leTigre
03-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Its looking great, I really like your colour and shading! :thumbsup:

As for a background, how about a city scape? Skyscrapers and stars?

jordanMARX
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
I love the anatomy of it...
There is a real sense of width to the man's torso... it makes me wish that the head wasn't in profile though, it feels much flatter in relation to the rest of the body...

Love it though...

BatskyStarman
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
i dont know what you should do with the background, but as far as the figure, I would make it a bit more exagerated. Maybe having his head tilt upwards, looking toward the direction the beam of light is eminating from.

PaulGanguly
03-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for all the great replies. Unfortunately though, I probably won't be finishing this one up for a while. My mother went into the hopsital last night, and apparently had a heart attack.

It was minor, but it's her second one. The first was three years ago. It's likely that they'll need to do a bypass.

Anyway, good to know that this piece was recieved so well here. I can definitely see that there's enough demand for me to finish it. Believe me, I will, but maybe not till about next week.

Thanks again, everyone.
-Paul Ganguly

PaulGanguly
03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Worked on the Arms some more, and started to define the light sources and atmospheric details.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/paulganguly/iron_angel_3_update2.jpg

Still no background, but I think that even once I do it, it'll be subtle, and not really the focal point of the image.

SteveNewport
03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
hey dude, sorry for takin so long to reply to this, been busy with school and such!

Anyway, the anatomy is pretty good, especially the chest area; good detail and muscle structure. However, I think the head should be reconsidered. You said that this angel is turning into iron... consider what this means; is this a good thing for him? Bad? Scary? Painful? Pleasurable? whatever you decide needs to be represented on the face of the angel and how the head is positioned. For instance, if he was in pain, the head might be more cringing to the extreme up/down position and the face would obviously express great distress/contortion. It might be worth just erasing and starting over on that part so you can play around with different options.

Another thing to think about would be the composition and size of this piece... why not extend the size of the canvas so the main character is taking up less space and you could play around with different ideas to compliment the character, instead of the character simply being the entire focus. For instances, you could add a lot of canvas on the right and have his wings and wrobe jutting to the right in a very dynamic and dramatic manner allowing yourself to play with motion a little. And then maybe adding some to the left ot balance it out some... or not. I would not focus so much on details and colors at this point as I would composition. Usually, the most productive method in painting is coming up with the entire composition first, that way, in the midst of details and coloring, you don't have to be thinking about what goes where and what goes in it at all. it's looking great, let me know if i wasn't clear or somethin

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.