PDA

View Full Version : Controlling shadow darkness on particle clouds in Maya, help

BRUTICUS
09-20-2002, 12:29 AM
I'm creating a scene with a small whirlwind of cloudParticle scooting through the street. My problem is that when the whirlwind passes under the street lights, the shadow on the ground is far too dark. I dont want to dim the streetlight shadows too much because they act perfectly on the other objects in the scene so I tried duplicating the light and light linking it to the whirlwinf then disconnecting it from the original streetlight. The problem with this is that I can NOT disconnect the particle cloud from the original street light. I mean, I can disconnect it in light linking but the shadow is still cast on the ground.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem or knows of a possible solution. I can render in layers but the problem there is the alpha channels produced seem to be shotty.

Thanks for any help,..

BRUTICUS
09-20-2002, 12:40 AM
Here's what i'm talking about:

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/bruticus/misc/street.jpg

Also what could be causing the darkness above the particle cloud? I am using light fog in the street light.

thanks!

Octagon
02-17-2003, 07:33 PM
your shadows on the floor look like theyve been created using depth maps.
try using raytraced shadows on your lights if you want semi-transparent shadows for your particles, dmaps cannot handle transparencies in your objects (unless your are using deep shadows, but thats another thread...)

also, if you dont want to mess with the shaodw darkness of your lights in the scene try duplicating some of those light and use them exclusively for your particles. you need to break the light links to all objects except particles then.

about the darker parts above the particles: try to render without shadows and see if it disappears. or try to hide some geometry lights to find your way to the offending part in the scene.

good luck
matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.