PDA

View Full Version : Episode III Theatrical Trailer LEAKED.

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I didn't see a thread on this last night. The new trailer for Revenge of the Sith was leaked at Theforce.Net. Apparently, it was very bad picture and audio quailty. It is already beeing shown in Peru theaters, where the original leak occured.

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Man, it seems that no one at CGtalk even cares about this movie. :shrug:

TheNeverman
03-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Many of the people that visit this board are professional artists. No one likes to see their hard work ripped off - so perhaps it would be wise that we not discuss bootleg/illegal material...

n8

kmest
03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
i saw that and that was great,,i DO care about it

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I mean no one at ILM disrespect. I was just surprised that it was not reported. All I wondered is why people in Peru got to see it earlier than us.

JDex
03-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, regardless of how it was obtained... seeing anything with this description
...and had very bad picture quality but you could see a few things. But mostly it was WAYYY to dark to see anything.
doesn't sound remotely interesting anyway.

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm very excited about the Trailer coming out on Thursday. I wonder what scenes it will show. Hopefully I won't have to sit through the ENTIRE episode of the O.C. to see it.

BillSpradlin
03-05-2005, 09:03 PM
They'll put it in the last commercial break or after the last scene for the OC so you'll have to watch the entire thing.

Jackdeth
03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Man, it seems that no one at CGtalk even cares about this movie. :shrug:

Yep..........

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Jackdeth, surely you will still see it for ILM's mad skills.

Ezekiel19
03-06-2005, 12:26 AM
No on'es interested in this Movie "I think not."

I believe you are underestimating everybody's eagerness.

The Buzz on the Internet is THIS TRAILOR KICKS BUTT.

--Keith

jussing
03-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Hehe, I'm hyped for Ep III allright. I'm just a bit tired of this "report of a teaser for a trailer for paying Hyperspace members" buzz. Sheesus. It's like Lucasfilm are ANTI-hyping their own movie, for once. The first teaser for Episode III is STILL not available in normal resolution or frame-rate, for any other than paying Hyperspace members.

"Paying to get to watch commercials".... that's still a concept I can't understand.... Hell, I'd pay to NOT watch commercials on TV or in theatres.

Oh well. I'll be giddy as a kid again, come May. :D

- Jonas

t-man152
03-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Many of the people that visit this board are professional artists. No one likes to see their hard work ripped off - so perhaps it would be wise that we not discuss bootleg/illegal material...

n8

I dont think that a trailer that can be seen by anyone for free being leaked out a couple of days before its premiere is too big of a deal. the only people it could hurt is fox who might lose some people tunning in to see the trailer. but since aparently the trailer is of bad quality people will still be checking out the better quality trailer on fox.

TheLostVertex
03-06-2005, 01:03 AM
I dont care about trailers much, it doesnt make the movie come any faster, and in this case, i dont look foward to another rotten peice of lucas's crap.And your description of the trailer quality does peak intrest anyways.

Terrell
03-06-2005, 01:41 AM
PixelMagic, I rarely post here, but I do lurk. But you are wasting your time posting anything relevant to Star Wars or Lucas on this board.

i dont look foward to another rotten peice of lucas's crap.

Thanks to Lost Vertex for proving my point. His is typically the kind of asinine and juvenile responses you'll get on this board. Even if there are and I'm sure there are, the myriad of crap you'll get here, will completely drown out the logical and adult posters. If you want reasonable excitement and disucssion, post it on hometheaterforum.com, or DVDTalk, or even ComingSoon.:)

Daniel-B
03-06-2005, 01:47 AM
PixelMagic, I rarely post here, but I do lurk. But you are wasting your time posting anything relevant to Star Wars or Lucas on this board.

It would appear so.

Jackdeth
03-06-2005, 02:22 AM

As much as I do love watching tasty ILM magic, I doubt I'll see this one in the theater. I have so little free time as it is, I can't waste it on a movie that I don't really care about.

jake_$teed
03-06-2005, 02:43 AM

No, thier "mad skills" will be on display for War of the Worlds. Their effects for the new Star Wars have been a stunning dissapointment. You could cut ATOC shots into Riddick, and no one would notice. No fault to the artists, just weak vision at the helm. Spielberg's ILM shows on the otherhand, always look great.

Daniel-B
03-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Spielberg's ILM shows on the otherhand, always look great.
They do indeed.

kmest
03-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Yep..........

what tha ..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: how could you?....

a CIVIL WAR between "fans" and "not fans".............just let it go....and may the force be with the fans :thumbsup:

Terrell
03-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Their effects for the new Star Wars have been a stunning dissapointment.

ROTFLOL! Man, you've got to put down the crack pipe. It kills your brain cells.

By the way PixelMagic, CASE CLOSED! See what I mean by asinine and juvenile?

Jackdeth
03-06-2005, 04:37 AM
what tha ..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: how could you?....

a CIVIL WAR between "fans" and "not fans".............just let it go....and may the force be with the fans :thumbsup:

Hey, I LOVE the orignal ones, but the new ones aren't my type of films.

Dirtystimpy
03-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Their effects for the new Star Wars have been a stunning dissapointment.

I think you might be suprised by the effects in this one....

as for the point that no one cares about the movie, just type in star wars in the search, and you'll see tons of pointless threads. When the trailer hits next week, you'll have another post w/ about 10 pages of people bitching or excited, just like the constantine and other movie threads.

kmest
03-06-2005, 05:37 AM
When the trailer hits next week, you'll have another post w/ about 10 pages of people bitching or excited, just like the constantine and other movie threads
with this diffrence that there are dozens of threads about STARWARS EPIII,just search for t on cgtalk:new images/new poster/new interview/new teaser/fake pics/supre HQ images/teaser of trailer/.....and in all of them,a GALACTIC CIVIL WAR is going on:love:

and they say NO ONE CARE FOR STARWARS ANY MORE:eek::shrug:

BrandonD
03-06-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm just bummed because I don't think Mosul is on the plan for theater distribution this summer.

Pixarman
03-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Someone sent me a copy of that leaked trailer...it's pretty much unwatchable. The audio is in Portuguese I think and you can barely see the images except for some big stupid watermark. So pretty much I heard some star wars music, saw a close up of Yoda and could see the titles...that was most of what I could make out.

Waste of a download. It'd be best to wait until Thursday. I'm seeing a sneak of Robots in IMAX on Thursday, hopefully it will be attached to it! :)

*On a side note...I can understand that some people are disappointed with the prequels and not being interested in seeing Ep3, but to say the effects were not up to par..what is that about? One only has to look at the Pod Race, the city shots of Courscant, Yoda...the list goes on and on. I just think that's a ridiculous statement...plus to say Lucas has no vision...ha!

The one thing I always find so funny is that whenever someone posts something about SW, the haters come from all over to express their hatred for the new movies and how they are not going to see the movies, blah, blah, blah. If you hate the movies so much and have no interest, why even bother looking into threads about SW??

hypercube
03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
In this particular case I think it's hard to get excited about leaked trailers that are admittedly horrible quality, especially when you can see them a week later full quality, possibly even in hi-def..hell, the whole trailer for the trailer shows just how ridiculous the whole pre-buzz buzz thing has gotten.

Personally, I'm still very interested in seeing the movie for the visuals and set action pieces, but since those are about the only surprises left, I'm purposefully avoiding or trying to avoid any more materials for the movie until it's out..no matter how many issues I've got with episodes 1 and 2, I knew before any trailers I'd still go see this, it's just the kind of abusive relationship I have with the franchise now after so many years..heh.

Oh and on the whole naming thing, the originals only had the Episode stuff at the beginning of the crawl, and the first release of star wars didn't even have that..otherwise they're just called by their names..it wasn't until the DVD box set they were packaged that way.

At any rate what's been mentioned is very true, there are just as many rabid people on both the loving it or hating it sides, or just as many in the middle, for just about any movie thread you'd care to dig up. Can't please everyone, and especially when there's a big generation gap inbetween trilogies like this, divisions are to be expected.

PatternRecognition
03-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Can't please everyone, and especially when there's a big generation gap inbetween trilogies like this, divisions are to be expected.

Very true. Personally, I don't understand all the pointless bashing.
I'll watch the trailer come Thursday without a Hyperspace account and will actually enjoy it for the eyecandy it is. Also, the prequels are very intricate movies if you look past what's right in your face, they have a lot to do with mythos, if you don't like the characters it doesn't mean the actors aren't doing a good job, it's supposed to be that way.

jussing
03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey, I've got a great idea, let's compare Star Wars to Lord of the Rings, and discuss THAT! I bet that's never been done before...

.....sorry, this thread gave me a major deja-vu, and I got carried away. :rolleyes:

Laa-Yosh
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I have to assume that the people criticising ILM's work on EPIII already have not seen the leaked high-res images of the new CG Yoda.

No skilled CG artist could honestly deny ILM's truly mad skills displayed in that character...

jake_$teed
03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
ROTFLOL! Man, you've got to put down the crack pipe. It kills your brain cells.

By the way PixelMagic, CASE CLOSED! See what I mean by asinine and juvenile?

First off, Watch it, pal. What's asinine and juvenile is blasting someone for expressing thier opinion. So here's the question....remove the fact that the credits say "Star Wars" and tell me, honestly, that the VFX are perfect and beyond discussion. Tell me that the asteriod field in ATOC looks better and more realistic than the one ILM did over 20 years ago for Empire. Tell me the VFX in the new trilogy are so perfect, that anybody who dosen't see flaws in it is crazy.

jussing
03-06-2005, 09:03 PM
tell me, honestly, that the VFX are perfect and beyond discussion.
Who ever said they were? I can't name one movie whose epic effects were perfect and beyond discussion. That doesn't mean they're not incredibly innovative and spectacular. All major FX movies have their major effects flaws, even your triple VFX Oscar winner LOTR.

Tell me that the asteriod field in ATOC looks better and more realistic than the one ILM did over 20 years ago for Empire. Well, for one thing you don't see a gray square around every asteroid like you do in Empire. :rolleyes:

I think the VFX of the prequels are amazing and breathtaking. But who said flawless? And why bash it because it's not flawless?

Cheers,
- Jonas

jussing
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
(and as for the whole "juvenile" mud throwing.... just stop it right there, both sides... that stuff is food for thread closing)

Pixarman
03-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Actually in Episode 2 it wasn't an asteroid field, it was the rings of Geonosis...so that may have an effect on how they would look. ;)

Shaderhacker
03-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh boy! Now an argument over VFX!!

These boards never cease to amaze me!

-M

jake_$teed
03-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Who ever said they were? I can't name one movie whose epic effects were perfect and beyond discussion. That doesn't mean they're not incredibly innovative and spectacular. All major FX movies have their major effects flaws, even your triple VFX Oscar winner LOTR.

Well, for one thing you don't see a gray square around every asteroid like you do in Empire. :rolleyes:

I think the VFX of the prequels are amazing and breathtaking. But who said flawless? And why bash it because it's not flawless?

Cheers,
- Jonas

Because I said the VFX were dissapointing, I was labeled asinine. So I assumed that the writer thinks they're perfect.

ANd I'll take matte boxes over phoney looking CG any day of the week.

Again I thought the VFX were dissapointing. Tear me apart for it. Sometimes I forget to not get involved in CG discussions with Star Wars fan boys.

Jackdeth
03-06-2005, 09:58 PM
To be fair, those matte boxes only appeared when some guy cranked up the shadows on the tele-cine of the film when they made the video rez master.

Also, the Battle of Hoth is many times more "real" than any of the battles in ESP I or II.... and I don't just mean from a CG point of view. That felt like a serious battle where I cared for the people, where as the battle of Jar-Jar was some how lacking.

But in the end, who really cares. George is a billionaire, fan boys will be fan boys, and haters will be haters.

Next topic please.

TumikSmacker
03-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Can we get a link? ;)

Stahlberg
03-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm with jackdeth. Fanboys of today don't appreciate that we've been there before them, and to a much higher degree at that. They don't seem to realize the level of adoration that went on back in 1977, after growing up with cheap 60's tv-series type visuals, then seeing that very first trailer... the quantum leap was so gigantic there's no chance it will ever happen again.
Then the first movie came, and even with the trailer exceeded expectations to such a degree we were stunned, speechless. Then the second movie, even better than the first. Those were the days when you could legitimately claim GL could do no wrong.
But then the third movie came, almost as good but a few disappointments start appearing... then the years pass and the fourth movie... well... it's okay as a movie... maybe, barely... but many of us older fans don't think it's worthy of the Star Wars name. You call that asinine and juvenile, you're just embarrassing yourself. But I agree there's no sense in complaining on the fx.

peanut
03-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Man, it seems that no one at CGtalk even cares about this movie

For one i respect your enthusiasm for the movie, but episode 1, 2, 3, 4, up to 56 doesn't make me any more interested of the serie.

If i ever see this movie or anything close, it will be on DVD in a straitjacket so i dont turn off the TV.

t-toe
03-07-2005, 05:15 AM
I really have no reason to post this other than the fact that I want to say it... so here goes:

I think the major problem with the VFX in the new Star Wars movies is that they're not nearly as grounded in reality as the original trilogy. Lucas sees this as a huge benefit, because he can do anything he dreams up in CG. but in doing so, the more fantastical the CG creations get, the less reality they're based on, and, let's face it, but nothing looks more "real" than reality.

part of what made the original Star Wars trilogy so cool was the "lived-in" look that all the sci-fi stuff had. a lot of that stemmed from the fact that they were working with limited options for visual and special effects. the new movies seem to mostly follow the mantra: "if it doesn't exist, build it in CG." therefore, less reality.

anyway, that's just one future filmmaker's lowly opinion. please don't hate me.

heavyness
03-07-2005, 06:03 AM
I think the major problem with the VFX in the new Star Wars movies is that they're not nearly as grounded in reality as the original trilogy.

nothing has come close to the vfx in the original trilogy and the effect it had in the industry. and it might never be surpassed just because of the simple fact ILM was the first to do it so well.

and this whole arguing over the star wars universe really has to stop [not just here, but anywhere]. it gets me sick. its like arguing over if you like cranberry sauce or not. yes, maybe you liked it at one point, but then ate to much of it and got terribly sick from it. now the smell of it turns your stomach. then again, maybe you never liked it. if you don't like it, don't go out looking for posts just to flame away. if you like it, great. i don't enter threads just to bitch because i don't like the topic. i have many more important things to do.

just because you can [and because of the internet, everyone can] doesn't mean you should.

jussing
03-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Well, I agree on the battle and design part. I'll take the industrial design of a star destroyer over the flying art deco furniture from the prequels any day of the week.

And yes, the battles of the old ones were more serious and suspenseful than the new ones. Hell, I even like the ewok-filled Endor battle. And yes, the Millennium Falcon in the asteroids in ESB was a much better action scene than the Ewan Mcgregor one in AOTC.

The prequel battle that comes closest is the clone battle in AOTC, but even that comes off as a random montage, it doesn't have its own little story and characters like we're used to.

But.... the effects still wow me like a fanboy. :)

- Jonas

CaptainJackSparrow
03-07-2005, 06:57 AM
The prequels just suck plain and simple, only a rabid 12 year old fanboy could love them.

Anyone with an ounce of screenwriting knowledge would know that a 'downer' plot like the prequels will never live up to story arcs of the originals, and will NEVER become an audience fav. The whole prequel concept is such a monumental miscaculation by Lucas. He should have made 7,8,9 instead. Who wants to see Ani's pathetic fall from grace stretched out over three loooonnnggg films.

Give me a break, episode 1 - the story of a little brat - Puhhhleeaze. This is just needless filler to the saga. You could completely cut Episode 1 and it would make no difference what's so ever.

Episode 2 - The story of whiny wooden teenager - Boring! Yeah great move GL, cos I can really relate to stalker Ani.

Episode 3 - Well some minor hope here, if only cos it'll be the first prequel in which something acutally HAPPENS of value to the story!

Of course that's not to say the original fiilms are that brilliant.

I watched A New Hope the other day and thought, wow, this so 'bleh' boring (that loong first act) and looks so dated and the acting is bad, dialogue as well, so like why on Earth do people still worship this junk.

Must be a collective sentimental/nostalgia thing. Well take off the rose colored glasses folks.

Having said that Empire was a good fillm, and ROTJ has a great ending, but that's it.

chadtheartist
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I have to agree with CaptainJackSparrow about one thing. The original trilogy, aside from the vfx, was just as bad as the new prequels. I still haven't watched the new DVD's of the old trilogy yet, because each time I do I just can't get into it. I see them as a milestone for cinema, as far as vfx goes, but for storytelling, acting and directing, I just can't see it.

I think a lot of people see the original Star Wars trilogy from their hearts, rather than their brains. And they see the new trilogy from their brains, and not their hearts. That's the only thing I can think of that causes such a distinct dislike for the new trilogy. Because in my opinion they are both very similar as far as storytelling, acting, and directing. The vfx for both trilogies are top notch regardless though. I am still impressed with how they did Jar-Jar(CGI), even though his character is pretty comical.

Stahlberg
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I know this has been beaten to death 99 times, but I just enjoy discussing it. So here goes #100.

both very similar as far as storytelling, acting, and directing

In fact now the original seems to me ridiculously exaggerated in it's black and white approach to good and evil... but - I definitely have to say, better storytelling and acting than the 2 prequels.

Storytelling: in the original we're thrown into the action from the start, then straight to some heavy characterization of Luke. (In the first 2 movies we get to know all the main characters very well.)
Then straight into more action, and so on. There's a clear Bad Guy. There's a clear main character, we see him in several private moments, the one that stands out the most is the double-sunset scene, with that gorgeous score. That's exactly the feeling of a young man with galaxy-size dreams, wanting to see what's behind the horizon, stuck in a backwater, fearing it will last his whole life.

Ep1 has the longest intro-crawl ever, plus a lot of expositional dialogue, before we get to action. The whole movie is very lacking in characterization. Who is the main character? The kid? The queen? The feeling I get is neither... probably the kid, but he's such a bland character. We rarely see anyone in a private moment. Who's the Bad Guy? In fact during the 2 movies we see 4 or 5 candidates for that role, which again leaves no time for characterization.

I think the Queen should have been the focus of at least the first 2 movies, much more than she was. Her, and her relationship to the second most powerful man in the universe. Her innocense at first, a cloistered life in the court, perhaps dreaming of adventure and Prince Charming, then thrown - a bit like Luke - unwillingly into danger, growing as a person, meeting the boy and seeing him grow into a man, beginning to love him, but maybe sensing a darkness looming (maybe there's a prophecy or something)... It could have had such tragic poetry and grandeur, the story of the Queen and her doomed love... like Gone With the Wind, against the backdrop of the end of an era and Galactic Civil War... instead we got some actors reading lines like they don't care, Jar Jar Binks and clown-like robots. Oh well, at least my kids loved it. :)

Yeah, about the acting: the original: compare Alec Guiness, James Earl Jones, Peter Cushing, and first-time appearances of Harrison Ford's caliber, with the monotone performances of Ep1. The only reasonable ones were Anikin's mother, the aliens, and the bad guys.

chadtheartist
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM
You make some great points, and I agree with some of them. But the movies to me still seem to be pretty equal in those regards. I thought Liam and Ewan did great jobs in Episode 1. Although most everyone else was very shallow as far as character acting goes, particularly Natalie.

You should read the book adaptation for Episode 1. I'm glad I read it before I saw the movie, and I think that filled in a lot of the holes from the movie.

Possible Episode 1 Spoiler:

In fact, there was one part of the book I wish they would have kept in the movie. It's the part where Anakin tells Padme that he likes her. In the book, he literally states, "I'm going to marry you." It fit a lot more with the story, IMO, and made you realize that there was a lot more to Anakin than meets the eye. I don't know why they changed it for the movie.

amygdalae
03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I have little respect for people who will bash a movie months before it comes out and declare upfront that they will not watch it because it's crap.

Way to be!

I guess for me two hours of my time is still worth seeing the culimination of thousands of hours of effort by some of the best artists in our field on a highly anticipated movie.

I dunno, seems a bit boring & snobbish to just say, oh it's crap, I'm sure of it. Not worth my time. I'm far too busy to spare 2 hours in the upcoming months anyhow. Woe is me.

fez
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
"better storytelling and acting than the 2 prequels"

I agree. For all the reasons you mentioned.

"I'm going to marry you."

Episode 1 was heavy-handed enough without Anakin mentioning marriage. Calling Padme a "space angel" conveys his crush clearly enough, I think.

lovisx
03-07-2005, 07:43 PM
its called having a conversation.

chadtheartist
03-07-2005, 07:44 PM
"I'm going to marry you."

Episode 1 was heavy-handed enough without Anakin mentioning marriage. Calling Padme a "space angel" conveys his crush clearly enough, I think.

That's just it. It wasn't a crush. He said it as a matter of fact. No wavering. Stoic. Omnipotent. A very crucial scene that clearly outlined who Darth Vader was as a boy. That one scene could have changed the tone of the movie, IMO.

And an aside. I don't critique movies for the sake of critique. I enjoy almost all of them, mainly because I see them as a sense of entertainment. Star Wars entertains, although sometimes I just can't get into them. I've watched them all dozens of times, so I'm not knocking on any one of them. To me, they are all the same, and I'll always see them as such.

fez
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
"That's just it. It wasn't a crush."

Good point. I'll definitely have to browse the Ep1 adaptation next time I'm in B&N. I guess the line "I'm going to marry you" reminds me too much of Young Frankenstein's famously screeched, "He was my boyfriend!"

hypercube
03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Heh, since everyone's reiterating their thoughts on the love story here goes..spoilers I guess, if you haven't seen 1-2.

Even with that line of dialog in Episode 1 or not, it wouldn't have made the way their love story was treated in Episode 2 work, IMO. The whole thing was handled in an extremely ham-fisted manner. They supposedly don't see each other for years, or even communicate, then he pops back on the scene after carrying the torch for her, spouts some of the lamest romance dialog in history ("sand"), and later tells her he killed a bunch of innocent people, then she, a supposedly very intelligent and worldly older woman, former planetary ruler, is not only okay with it all, but falls for him at the drop of a hat? SHEESH. Psycho internet stalkers have better game than that.

What also got me with Ep2 was that the first Spiderman movie was out in theaters at the same time..and IMO that showed the exact RIGHT way to handle a love interest and relationship between two people who knew each other since childhood and couldn't quite get it together..especially his crush for her..they at the least felt like real people.

Anyway, all just my thoughts on it. I still feel that Lucas is fantastic at the storyline itself, the arcs etc. specific action sequences, and grand visuals, but the all important details, characterizations, and dialog, which make a movie a complete whole, he's completely lost it, IMO. The documentaries on the THX-1138 and Star Wars DVDs are very interesting to watch and see how he's changed over the years. It's all "big picture" now, seems like.

Stahlberg
03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
chadtheartist and hypercube, good points.
Oh and I'm certainly going to see Ep3 in the theater, with my kids, I have high hopes for it myself - I can't see how it can possibly be as bad as 1 and 2, and I always try to be the optimist. :) But no, I'm not really that interested in seeing any trailers for it at all, given the modern tendency for trailers to be spoilers (even in a case like this, where I know roughly what's going to happen.

Daniel-B
03-08-2005, 01:29 AM
I know pretty much the entire plot to Episode III, and I cannot see how this could possibly be a bad movie. And I'm not just some gushing fanboy.

Episode III will be the movie that Episode I and II should have been.

PatternRecognition
03-08-2005, 05:00 PM
What also got me with Ep2 was that the first Spiderman movie was out in theaters at the same time..and IMO that showed the exact RIGHT way to handle a love interest and relationship between two people who knew each other since childhood and couldn't quite get it together..especially his crush for her..they at the least felt like real people.

You know, that's been braught up before (not here but stil..) I want to comment. Spiderman's love story does have a couple of shared points - love at some degree from childhood, meant-to-be-ness, so on. But here starts the difference - in Spiderman you see the hero pushing away his love, in Star Wars Anakin tries to get to her with all his might, against everything he's known in his life, while Peter has every chance to be with Mary Jane. You see courtly love in Episode 2, it's very different from the new stuff in cinema and I suppose you have to be at least a bit female to get it.

Anyways, I read every post in the thread (after my previous one) and I'm surprised (pleasantly) there's no more of the stupid LOTR gushing/SW bashing, and surprised (unpleasantly) just how little of the prequels is understood (talking mainly about Ep2 because Ep1 doesn't have much character development in it). But ah well :)

fez
03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
"just how little of the prequels is understood"

I can only speak for myself, but I think I understand the prequels just fine. I just don't appreciate em. Many Star Wars fans will admit that they are fun FX movies, but they could have been so much more...

I think the prequels would have been much better if a level headed fan like Mr. Stahlberg above had been invited into the editing bay before release...or, better yet, been allowed to red-ink the screenplays. You don't need to be a brilliant screenwriter or strong with the force to sense shitty screenwriting. There you go, some cheese not even worthy of episode 2.

Ezekiel19
03-08-2005, 09:22 PM
No one can trully judge these movies on there own merit UNTIL they have seen Episode 3 and all the others in continuation. Star Wars unlike LOTR and Matrix is indeed a six part series which end story was the beginning story and the last story I,II and now III actually the begining.

I have read the script of Ep III and lots of questions get answered and it all makes sense.

Quite Masterfull actually

Spoiler Alert

Palpatine admits in the movie who his Sith Master is and why He killed him. Only a true SW fan will understand that Revelation.

Good Luck

Laa-Yosh
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Heh, I've just happened to watch Episode V and some parts of IV and VI this weekend on DVD and thought a bit about Star Wars and the prequels :) In my opinion, the biggest problem with the prequels is that a lot of the emphasis is misplaced.

There actually is a previously unseen depth to the storyline, which also manages to enhance the original trilogy a bit. Now when you look at Obi-Wan and Yoda, you see two great warriors who've fallen from grace. Their mistakes and lack of sight led to the suffering of the world and the corruption of an innocent young man, Anakin. Even Yoda has admited in EII that the Jedi have lost a lot of their power, their sensibility for the Force, because of their conservative ways. And then as they have grown old in exile, they've trained and expected another young man, Luke, to basically correct their old mistakes, by killing his own father and sacrificing himself to the cause. Lucas has certainly succeeded in this, but you really have to spend some thought on this to appreciate it. Maybe if someone watches the movies in their chronological order, it will be more direct to him.

Then there's the whole political part, about things like society's vulnerability against a determined tyrant's reach for power, about the genius of Palpatine and so on. I mean, the Republic sounds like the nicest place, no army but the wise spiritual order of Jedi Knights to keep the peace, democracy, and even Jabba isn't really going around killing anyone he'd like to. Then you can contrast this with the way people step out from the stormtroopers' path on Tatooine, or start to panic on Bespin... and suddenly Obi-Wan's use of a lightsaber in Mos Eisley looks a lot different as well.

There are some funny mistakes too. Just how does Boba Fett feel when he's around stormtroopers - basically dozens of his father's clones? ;)

And even Anakin's own story has some interesting themes... He only wants to do good in the beginning, but tries too hard and on the wrong way. And note that Vader's character is almost as important through the sequel trilogy as that of Luke, and suddenly he isn't really the villain in those movies...

So there's actually a lot of good stuff in the prequels. Then Lucas goes and writes incredibly stupid and boring dialogue, adds totally stupid things like Anakin accidentaly blowing up the droid command ship (ooops), midi-chlorians, or that flying fruit scene in EPII; and finally makes a horrible job at directing most of the non-action scenes. And he also pushes the visuals too close to Disneyland. Such a shame on so much wasted potential...

ppself
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
soooooooooooooo, nobody has the trailer yet.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

fez
03-08-2005, 11:32 PM
"No one can trully judge these movies on there own merit UNTIL they have seen Episode 3 and all the others in continuation. Star Wars unlike LOTR and Matrix is indeed a six part series which end story was the beginning story and the last story I,II and now III actually the begining."

I don't think any third act revelation, no matter how cool, can redeem some of the ridiculous dialogue and direction in Episode 2. Having said that, from what I have seen so far, Episode 3 certainly looks like the one I've been waiting for.

leigh
03-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so excuse me if I am a little behind the times here...

A link went around the office today for a site that has a sequence of images showing pretty much the entire film (yes, there are loads of pics).

It certainly looks interesting :)

lovisx
03-09-2005, 01:00 AM
I totally agree with the courtly love analogy. Anakin knew what he wanted and went after it, perhaps he even used a little force to get it, heck he becomes darth vader, and good that if felt creepy, it aught to. Anakin needed to seem creepy and weird, its in him. I really enjoyed episode 2, especially the issues it braught up about falling from grace, and how love, the thing which should in theory bring strength, bring such weekness and shallowness. To talk of spiderman, spiderman was all about how awesome and powerful and good spiderman is, but episode 2 was totally about how shallow and low even the best of us can get. Padme falling for such a guy as Anakin definetly shows weekness. The fact that she could be queen of a world and so quickly fall from grace, is very human and believable. I'm not sure in which world it doesn't happen.

Also there's a cool little gumshoe story going on in the side with obi one has he investigates the big secret. I love the scene where he walks in on Boba whats his name, and the two have to have to act normal because the kid is there, almost tarantino esque.

I thought episode two actually focused more on the story and was less of an effects movie. The plot was certainly alot deeper then the old star wars movies. Perhaps what people want is less plot and more action and effects?

I'm personally going to enjoy epIII alot, I can't wait. I'm a nerdy fan boy for sure, but I'm damn happy to be one. Far better to be happy then bitter. Especially when you can't change it anyway.

Stahlberg
03-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I think it would have been a more believable romance - you know, the kind of love that distorts your thinking and makes you do amazingly stupid things - if Anakin had been a little darker and more brooding and good-looking as a young boy, not so cute and cuddly and normal-looking... like a young James Dean with pale skin, dark hair and eyes like burning coals, forced into prematurely acting like an adult by the horrible conditions he grows up in (a slave on a world of criminals, for pete's sake, with his mother also a slave and needing his protection to survive)...
Innocent, yes, but with the seed of darkness. Padme's spellbound - against her better judgement of course - from the first moment she sees him. (One reason - her cloistered life until then, she's never met such intensity before.)
That would have made more sense of her actions later, and also increased the emotional interest of the story. Such a brooding, mysterious and prematurely aged character is also quite likely to say things like "You are going to be my wife" and send shivers up our spines. And to go completely ape-shit if someone kills his mother.

lovisx
03-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I agree totally, the acting in the movies sucked, and that takes away from the story. I'm hoping this last one will be more well acted.

PatternRecognition
03-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I think it would have been a more believable romance - you know, the kind of love that distorts your thinking and makes you do amazingly stupid things - if Anakin had been a little darker and more brooding and good-looking as a young boy, not so cute and cuddly and normal-looking... like a young James Dean with pale skin, dark hair and eyes like burning coals, forced into prematurely acting like an adult by the horrible conditions he grows up in (a slave on a world of criminals, for pete's sake, with his mother also a slave and needing his protection to survive)...
Innocent, yes, but with the seed of darkness. Padme's spellbound - against her better judgement of course - from the first moment she sees him. (One reason - her cloistered life until then, she's never met such intensity before.)
That would have made more sense of her actions later, and also increased the emotional interest of the story. Such a brooding, mysterious and prematurely aged character is also quite likely to say things like "You are going to be my wife" and send shivers up our spines. And to go completely ape-shit if someone kills his mother.

Actually, Lucas was going to go for that, but then he decided a younger Anakin will make the emotional impact of losing his mother bigger and of course the attatchment stronger when he's pulled into a completely different world. He's afraid of change. And you have Padme spot on there! I'd like to add that Anakin is completely open and honest to her, he spills his guts infront of her and she accepts him for that; and he also treats her like a human and not a Queen/Senator.

Star Wars is more than the acting and special effects, it's the story, it's age old and recycled a billion times over, but Anakin's journey is something we have to face ourselves, and of course we don't want to see our failure on the big screen :p

slaughters
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
...In fact now the original seems to me ridiculously exaggerated in it's black and white approach to good and evil...I agree, BUT to those who saw it when it first came out, that was one reason for it's success.

I remember walking out of the theater thinking, "Wow, it's OK to have good guys and bad guys again!". The films of late 60's and early 70's were so filled with sad depressing endings and characters that were neither good nor bad that to the child I was in 1975 watching a show like Star Wars was a breath of fresh air.

As for the Ep 1,2, 3 movies, well they look good, the stories seem alright, but from personal taste I just have no interest in watching a trilogy of movies where I know that in the end the main character will become evil and all good will be destroyed.

It just seems to be the opposite message of the original trilogy.

Daniel-B
03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Will Episode III be the first movie where the bad guys win? Surely there's others.

WhiteRabbitObj
03-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Will Episode III be the first movie where the bad guys win? Surely there's others.

Ok here are some
Seven, Silence of the Lambs, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

-R

Pixarman
03-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Empire Strikes Back had a bad guys win ending...didn't it? I mean sure it ended on a more hopeful note, but the good guys got smacked and beaten through most of the movie...

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM

Quoted in agreement.
I always have tought that Lucas should have casted a boy at least a 3 - 4 years older. The kid should have looked exacly as Stahlberg described him.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Whiterabbit I screwed up you post...

My bad.

-R

WhiteRabbitObj
03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Whiterabbit I screwed up you post...

My bad.

-R

LOL! I looked at my post and I was like "WTF? I didn't write those" and then I noticed you had edited it. I thought I must have written something inappropriate but I couldn't think of what, heh.

Here's what I originally said... (sorta anyhow)

"Unforgiven" the bad guy wins in the end, and it's very unsatisfying to me, I don't understand how people like that film. "Matrix Revolutions" also had the bad guys winning in the end, since Neo dies and nothing changes (also unsatisfying, to say the least).

There was some other film I listed before that had sprung to mind instantly before but I can't remember now since my post got screwed up :D. But movies rarely end with the bad guy winning because that's not satisfying to the viewer.

The movies that do end like that have a good reason. EP III, and EP V are not really ended, so the bad guys don't win, it's just a chapter break in a larger story. "Seven" we want John Doe to die so bad that even though he "wins", he still dies and we're happy about that. Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid/Silence of the Lambs we grow to associate more with the bad guys than the good guys and are happy when they win. Though I would argue the bad guys decidedly LOSE in Cassidy&Sundance since they are the bad guys and they die.

MAXIMISE
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I have seen Lucas work, literally standing a few feet away while he was directing, I can't speak for even 0.00001% of Lucas's directing of EP3, but lets just say that the rumours of him not engaging actors and being VERY 'hands off' as far as delivery and emotional motivation/investment, really is true.

He is also a bit wishy/washy about his conviction to certain points of his own saga. Just listening to his commentaries will tell you that.
"R2 is really the main character," then 5 seconds later...
"ObiWan truely is the main character of the saga", then later,
"Ani's story is the true character focus of the saga, and its a cycle of Father and son."

To me I can say, ok, he just has a lot of themes to deal with, and so little time (he needs that 2 hour time so he can get at least 7 shows a day in the cinema). But I also may need to look at Lucas's Characterisations as this: Was it important Picaso did his faces right, or was the interpretation and feel of his art more important?
So are we rightly being critical of the acting and Lucas's lack of investment in character, or should we perhaps accept that his goal was to entertain with flash and excitement, with the true goal of advancing film technology. One thing he has never contradicted in all his statements was that Star Wars was always an ode to Serials like Flash Gordon. Being more about fast pace, and a fun ride for your money.

(an aside to the original Topic... most Cinema's do have the trailer sitting there on the shelf as of last week, at least here. I have seen it, and I must say whats a leaked trailer mean to anyone, someone earlier said that its like Piracy; Excuse me, but no its not. Getting a trailer out there and in peoples hands/minds is the whole purpose, the only reason things are held back is to build excitement and the NEED for an audience to see it, so its like an event - Gee, I guess Lucasfilm won't do very well with EP3 now that the trailer was leaked, :rolleyes: )

WhiteRabbitObj
03-10-2005, 01:08 AM
I think the problem with trailers such as this one leaking is that they are scheduled to be shown on crappy shows like The O.C. By scheduling the trailer to aire during that show, it gains a sizable ratings increase for that one show, increasing advertising revenue as well as possibly gathering new viewers amongst the Star Wars audience, which, I think we can agree, is not the normal O.C. audience and this way they gain valuable demographic exposure.

But film companies are always jumping all over leaked trailers and I don't understand it when it's not some special-engagement trailer like this EPIII one. More exposure = good, when there isn't revenue on the line like the EPIII one, but studio execs do lots of things no one understands but them.

heavyness
03-10-2005, 01:41 AM
I have seen Lucas work, literally standing a few feet away while he was directing, I can't speak for even 0.00001% of Lucas's directing of EP3, but lets just say that the rumours of him not engaging actors and being VERY 'hands off' as far as delivery and emotional motivation/investment, really is true.

He is also a bit wishy/washy about his conviction to certain points of his own saga. Just listening to his commentaries will tell you that.
"R2 is really the main character," then 5 seconds later...
"ObiWan truely is the main character of the saga", then later,
"Ani's story is the true character focus of the saga, and its a cycle of Father and son."

To me I can say, ok, he just has a lot of themes to deal with, and so little time (he needs that 2 hour time so he can get at least 7 shows a day in the cinema). But I also may need to look at Lucas's Characterisations as this: Was it important Picaso did his faces right, or was the interpretation and feel of his art more important?
So are we rightly being critical of the acting and Lucas's lack of investment in character, or should we perhaps accept that his goal was to entertain with flash and excitement, with the true goal of advancing film technology. One thing he has never contradicted in all his statements was that Star Wars was always an ode to Serials like Flash Gordon. Being more about fast pace, and a fun ride for your money.

(an aside to the original Topic... most Cinema's do have the trailer sitting there on the shelf as of last week, at least here. I have seen it, and I must say whats a leaked trailer mean to anyone, someone earlier said that its like Piracy; Excuse me, but no its not. Getting a trailer out there and in peoples hands/minds is the whole purpose, the only reason things are held back is to build excitement and the NEED for an audience to see it, so its like an event - Gee, I guess Lucasfilm won't do very well with EP3 now that the trailer was leaked, :rolleyes: )

i'm just quoting you again to make sure everyone reads what you said. Lucas has always said he wanted to make an 'epic flash gorden', and guess what... he did it. also, these movies are rated PG [rumor PG-13 for the last one] and launched next to toys, cartoons, and comics. why? because Lucas is making this for a younger crowd. my 12 year old brother-in-law loves them. he saw episode 1 and didn't understand everything, but just like i did w/ the original trilogy, he's growing up and understanding more of the plot. this isn't 2001, Bladerunner, or Alien [although most people seem to group them just because they are sci-fi]. 12 year olds wouldn't like the above movies as much as Star Wars.

mission accomplished.

LEEBLEEB
03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
this isn't 2001, Bladerunner, or Alien [although most people seem to group them just because they are sci-fi]. 12 year olds wouldn't like the above movies as much as Star Wars.

Sorry to disagree with you, but your quite biased about that children under twelve would have no understanding of those films. I watched all those films before I was twelve and thought star wars was completely boring. Films shouldn't need to be washed of a plot or atmosphere just to be liked by kids who like big explosions.

t-toe
03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
forgive me for interrupting, but didn't the OC air last night with the all new Star Wars trailer? or has that not happened yet?

if it DID air, WHERE'S A LINK TO THE @#$%@&#&$ TRAILER?!

rakmaya
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
The movies are all right:shrug: but the games ROCK:thumbsup: The last movie was a such a rip off and I wasted 2 hours for it. I hope they get to have some nice story this time around. I will defenitly see the trailer but will wait to see what my friends tell about the new one before I spent my time on it.

MAXIMISE
03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Different Era for me I guess, I never saw Alien until I was atleast 12. And certainly did not understand the nuances of the film, sorry, but you'd be a lier if you said you could see the subtext and various tensions, arc's and subtle hints of character. Bladerunner especially no 12 year old would understand, unless maybe they are certified film savants. Bladerunner is a good example of the film that most lamen would say is slow and boring, but to a more educated viewer (or just a fan) you would see a lot of subtext and certain pointers that Ridley Scott (who also did Alien BTW) employed. I doubt very much that a 12 year old would leave the theatre and say, "So was Decker a Replicant too, because he had photo's like the other replicants and dreams of things that the weird Latin guy seemed to know about?".

And forget talking to a 12 year old about the subtlty of how Decker was attracted to, yet seemed to objectify Rachael. Young kids just don't have the life/love experience to even understand why two people would just get together so fast or what was even going on and its just confusing in Star Wars Ep2, even to very young children. I have had the question asked by a 6 year old, "Why does that girl like the tall boy? Do they already know each other from before?" I said "yeah, kinda. But they were kids before, and now they are grown ups. YOu can't tell a kid, "Well honey, he is a cloistered sychophant who is hot for a piece of tail he was pining over for 10 years, and she is desperate for a shag because her last roll in the Nabooian grassplains was with a, urmmm, 'buzzing lightsabre', wink wink, nudge nudge ay, say no more."

Unfortunately - getting back to Star Wars - the subtext and nuance is far closer to the surface, and more about mythos and simple morality then subtlety. And more about expediency then actually spending time where it is most needed.
Ep2 is a perfect example of a movie that perhaps should have started with Anakin on his "3rd date" with Padme, instead of just meeting her again after 10 years. In one easy throw away line Lucas could have made the whole thing less awkward, using a sub arc that Ani has been seeing Padme on the sly for like 2 months already or something.

Obi: So, you finally have a real reason to see Padme again Ani?
Anikin: I am sorry Master, I don't know what you mean...
Obi: *Obi-Wan smiles knowingly* I know you have always had deep feelings for her Anakin, Remember, Keep them at bay lad, or they may end up controlling your actions.
Scene continues with standard Ani subject change about an adventure and saving each other from gundarks, blah blah.

-Then Natalie and Hayden could actually do some acting in that first scene together and subtext there asses off playing to the idea that they have been seeing each other, at least for a while, in secret. And Lucas still could have Ani's crush and stalker'esque unhealthy infatuation that he seemed to need Ani to have.

-Then at the Naboo/Waterfall scene, they could have added in the exposition of Anakin and Padme's recent history, she says they should stop seeing each other because the council must know by now, and certainly wouldn't approve. Anakin would have a similar portent to Vader (as to when he liked the idea of a Dictatorship), and say he doesn't care what the Jedi Council thinks, he 'loves her to much' blah blah, "Chancellor Palpatine understands us Padme, and so should the Jedi Council, we should MAKE them understand", kind of link Palpatine into the Love, perhaps helping facilitate the whole affair by getting Ani to 'run errands' which just so happens to be to places where Padme was etc then - roll in the grass *Optical Transition* end scene.

I have always said, (since about 1988 :) ) that Star Wars done right would be 6, 3 hour long movies, at least. That way time can be spent on more then just "How can we get to a flying chase scene?"

Eh, what do I know. I only do this for a living.:D

lovisx
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
trailer is tonight

ppself
03-10-2005, 05:26 PM
OC is tonight who knows when during that, but of course ive already seen the crappy cam version thats been circulating around the web. and all i gotta say what the crap, they finally got serious and down to business with this franchise. this movie is going to be the best.

Ezekiel19
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
THIS TRAILER ROCKS

:wip:

ZEROSKULL
03-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Click here (http://www.internet-whore.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=574&Itemid=2)

Dennik
03-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Click here (http://www.internet-whore.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=574&Itemid=2)

And subscribe to download? :rolleyes: Its ok, i can wait.

DZL
03-11-2005, 12:20 AM
also, these movies are rated PG [rumor PG-13 for the last one] and launched next to toys, cartoons, and comics. why? because Lucas is making this for a younger crowd.

I think it's the other way around: lucas is making the movie for a younger crowd, so he can sell toys. he's a toy salesman, and these movies are his commercials. so why bother with such things as character development, plot, story arc?? naaaahhh.. lets put a bunch of actors in front of a green screen, blow stuff up, slap the 'star wars' logo on it, and call it good!

my 12 year old brother-in-law loves them. he saw episode 1 and didn't understand everything, but just like i did w/ the original trilogy, he's growing up and understanding more of the plot. this isn't 2001, Bladerunner, or Alien [although most people seem to group them just because they are sci-fi]. 12 year olds wouldn't like the above movies as much as Star Wars.

mission accomplished.

hell, i don't even understand "the plot" from the episode 1... trade federation? taxes? whaaaa? george lucas managed to make star wars BORING. quite a feat. and he turned the jedi's into a bunch of arrogant know-it-alls, instead of the mysterious, quiet warriers i always imagined them to be. thanks, george.

I enjoyed star wars when I was 5, and i still enjoy the original trilogy - it HOLDS UP OVER TIME.

NanoGator
03-11-2005, 12:32 AM
hell, i don't even understand "the plot" from the episode 1... trade federation? taxes? whaaaa?

A young boy named Anakin is destined to fulfill a prophecy. They run into him by accident, then they make a little side trip where he, by chance, wins a pod-race. For some mystical reason, his mom lets the Jedi take him to the Council where they decide they don't really like the kid a whole lot. The kid is then taken to Naboo where he's accidently locked into a Naboo fighter. The fighter is accidently activated, then accidently set on auto-pilot, and finally sent into battle by accident. Young Anakin accidently survives in the battle then accidently winds his way into the inside of a Capitol ship. He accidently fires a couple of missiles where they accidently lock on to a weakspot that was incompetently placed inside of a fighter bay. The Capitol ship explodes and Anakin accidently survives it. By accident, the Capitol ship happened to be the exact one that needed to be destroyed to end the battle because the battle droids were incompetently designed.

The moral of the story? Dath Vader was created by an Improbability Field.

lovisx
03-11-2005, 12:50 AM
But you know fate is a really strong theme in most fantasy. What are the chances that two hobbits escape the most powerful beings of the army of darkness by hiding under a small enclave. Get stabbed by one and live. Get stabbed by a huge beast and live. They come to the gates of Mordor and an enemy walks right up to them and by chance doesn't notice that they're just making themselves look like a rock. They take on a huge spider monster that just happens to let a hobbit roll under her and stab her on her only weak spot. Then they just by chance get taken to the enemies lair, and there just happens to be a mutiny and all the orcs die. Then they just happen to reach mount doom in time before their friends fall. And then when the volcano blows up they just happen to be on a part of rock that doesn't have lava rolling down it.

Lets not even get into the Odyssey.

But of course reality isn't what makes a good fantasy.

SplineGod
03-11-2005, 12:51 AM
And they discover that the most intelligent and powerful life form of life in the universe is a yeast infection called mitaclorians which apparently thrive on young children from desert worlds (making Anakin one powerful Jedi indeed} and small reptilian creatures from swamp worlds :)

lovisx
03-11-2005, 12:55 AM
rotfl! yeast infection!

never thought of it that way. So oh yeah, some kinda corny stuff I admit

lovisx
03-11-2005, 01:02 AM
mind you the deathstar could be viewed many different ways as well

NanoGator
03-11-2005, 01:02 AM
And they discover that the most intelligent and powerful life form of life in the universe is a yeast infection called mitaclorians which apparently thrive on young children from desert worlds (making Anakin one powerful Jedi indeed} and small reptilian creatures from swamp worlds :)

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

SplineGod
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, whatever happened to those great lines from the original movies? The force was some kind of energy field created by all living things that surrounds us. That was enough and gave it a great mystique. Why would anyone want to reduce it to a microbe that that lives in those dark moist places and can be measured with a simple blood test. All the Sith need to do is invent penicillan to destroy the Jedi.... :shrug:

moovieboy
03-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Yes, whatever happened to those great lines from the original movies?

Two words: Lawrence Kasdan.

He's the real difference between Episodes V-VI and I-III.

-Tom

NanoGator
03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Well I'm shocked, that new trailer was actually kinda cool.

Peddy
03-12-2005, 11:16 AM
the vfx look shiny, but the plot developments are as appealing as the previous 2 movies. still, ill be entertained.

JeroenDStout
03-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Oooh, taglines!
Master: "I've been working on this for quite some time..."
(shows crude drawing of Death Star)
Lord Vader: "... A boobie?"

Oh wait, that wasn't from the new trailer.

(grunt, the new trailer looks good, that wasn't supposed to happen..)

JA-forreal
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
I think the problem with trailers such as this one leaking is that they are scheduled to be shown on crappy shows like The O.C. By scheduling the trailer to aire during that show, it gains a sizable ratings increase for that one show, increasing advertising revenue as well as possibly gathering new viewers amongst the Star Wars audience, which, I think we can agree, is not the normal O.C. audience and this way they gain valuable demographic exposure.

I think that the OC is a perfect SW Ep3 promo target audience or an airing during Smallville etc. You could pretty much guarantee as a marketer that you would reach the right type of viewers.

It's interesting to see so many people read so much into the current offerings of a SW film. There is not much of a compelling plot or dialog in these films. If you look at the context in which these films are presented you can see that the average person viewing these films won't really care. So the OC fits.

The CG is really cool. Just turn off your brain and enjoy the CG and you should have fun watching this.

Have fun!

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.