PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Sweeps Bafta Games Awards

RobertoOrtiz
03-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Quote:
"PC first person shooter Half-Life 2 has won six Bafta Awards, including best game and best online game. The title, developed by Valve, was released last year to universal acclaim - receiving special praise for its immersive plot and physics engine.

The game also won Baftas for best action adventure, best PC game, art direction and animation."

>>Link<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm)

-R

bentllama
03-05-2005, 07:47 PM
I genuinely love all my friends at Valve and the work they do...but best online game? WTF? :shrug:

These awards are now about as discredited as the Spike TV awards. *sigh*

Para
03-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I genuinely love all my friends at Valve and the work they do...but best online game? WTF? :shrug:

I agree, HL2 didn't come with multiplayer (HL2DM was added later) and CS:S doesn't count as HL2's multiplayer, it just uses the Source Engine.

Boone
03-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind these award shows only if they were more like the Kerrannggg! Awards... :banghead:

Games and Oscars simply don't mix... :hmm:

Zeruel the 14th
03-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Best online game my arse. HLDM was tacked on. I've not bothered to even run it for some time...it might still only have 2 maps. CS...pfft...CS is CS. Same crap, different bag. (Including the CS community as a whole)

HL2 is deserving (though I'd question 'immersive plot' and opt for 'immersive environment' instead as i found the plot itself to be questionable, much like the original's. The world however is a winner)

Does anyone know what the criteria was for determining 'best online game'? If its popularity...then that explains it. And i'd agree that CS doesn't count as HL.

FlyByNight
03-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Yea bentt, i guess i gotta agree, and giv u guys ur props... u did kinda get ripped there.... I acknowledge the multiplayer value of halo 2 despite its stolen award and things i may have said before ;)

the rest of it though, pretty sound... half life 2 kicked major ass and i beleive deserved the rest of those awards... CONGRATS VALVE:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

t-man152
03-06-2005, 02:10 AM
what did they take into consideration when giving it best online game? because since CS came with every version of the game it could be considered as a multiplayer gametype for HL 2. if so then it could win and just because HLDM came later it also could be considered as a HL2 multiplayer gametype.

Ariel
03-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Half-Life 2 also sweeped the Interactive Achievment Awards (receiving 9 out of 11 nominations)
Here are the winners:
http://www.interactive.org/awards/IAA-8/winners.asp#16

kwshipman
03-06-2005, 07:16 AM

These awards are now about as discredited as the Spike TV awards. *sigh*

I really enjoy Valve's multiplayer, but it is by no means revolutionarry, or even better than other games. Heck, you have your choice between Deathmatch, and Team Deathmatch. Counter Strike Source shouldn't count since it is identical to the origional.

UT2004's Onslaught, assualt and CTF are much more enjoyable and give more ways to play. Halo 2's Party system is truly a piece of art. I hook up with a couple of friends that are scattered along the west coast and we always stay together, no matter what changes we do. That is amazing. The only complaints I have about it has nothing to do with Halo 2. (idiots that think racial, sexist, derogatory, foul language is a required every time they open their mouth and the fact that I suck with a controller)

Half-Life 2 MP. Fun? Yes. Best online game? no.

Half-Life 2 also sweeped the Interactive Achievment Awards (receiving 9 out of 11 nominations)
Here are the winners:

These seem more inline. Thanks for the link and great game.

bentllama
03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Here are the winners:

Yes. Legitimate awards like this are indeed a great thing. Congrats again to you Ariel, and to your team.

bentllama
03-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Yea bentt, i guess i gotta agree, and giv u guys ur props... u did kinda get ripped there.... I acknowledge the multiplayer value of halo 2 despite its stolen award and things i may have said before ;)

I wasn't championing the award in the name Halo 2, I really don't need to. I was merely questioning the award's validity when HL2's strengths were so clearly in other areas.

Mudvin
03-06-2005, 11:17 AM
This is just shows me again that world is just crazy if they call this old modified quake1 engine with slightly modified prefabs "the game of the year".
As was mentioned above, hl2dm has only 2 original maps, all others are just glitching remakes, Css has become just even worse then it was(whole single model per team, whoa!, same weapons, less maps than it was, walls no more can be shoot-through).

The only things in single that really impressed me was this dog-bot and cinematic flyby in the citadel. Dynamics is good in sense that it's exists at all in game engine, but i don't like it's settings(corpses in D3 are much more realistic). But don't be wondered then if you suddenly will be killed by "world".

I'm still thinking that Doom3 got most advanced technology novaday, while that "game of the year" is just a number of knocked together pieces of unfinished game.

PhantomDesign
03-06-2005, 11:53 AM
This is just shows me again that world is just crazy if they call this old modified quake1 engine with slightly modified prefabs "the game of the year".
As was mentioned above, hl2dm has only 2 original maps, all others are just glitching remakes, Css has become just even worse then it was(whole single model per team, whoa!, same weapons, less maps than it was, walls no more can be shoot-through).

The only things in single that really impressed me was this dog-bot and cinematic flyby in the citadel. Dynamics is good in sense that it's exists at all in game engine, but i don't like it's settings(corpses in D3 are much more realistic). But don't be wondered then if you suddenly will be killed by "world".

I'm still thinking that Doom3 got most advanced technology novaday, while that "game of the year" is just a number of knocked together pieces of unfinished game.
Old Modified Quake1 Engine? Eveidently someone's been out of the loop for the last 2 years.

FlyByNight
03-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I wasn't championing the award in the name Halo 2, I really don't need to. I was merely questioning the award's validity when HL2's strengths were so clearly in other areas.

well then i guess they decided to give awards to the game which had strengths... if your questioning why half life 2 got so many awards, its because it really was something special...

i dnt really have any probs with this, as im hoping that it is good advertising for quality games and thta people will follow suit... to be honest, there was nothing that bad with the hl2 multiplayer games anyway, so whats the beef? if u dont think halo 2 should have got it, then what should have??? im confused with that comment now, as ur first post just seems like a little bit of sour grapes....

FlyByNight
03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Old Modified Quake1 Engine? Eveidently someone's been out of the loop for the last 2 years.

d'you know what i meeean?? this guys talkin breeeeeze.... apart from ur comments on counter strike source... i didnt really like that... i was in it mainly for the game design within the story mode...

Para
03-06-2005, 02:51 PM
d'you know what i meeean?? this guys talkin breeeeeze.... apart from ur comments on counter strike source... i didnt really like that... i was in it mainly for the game design within the story mode...

Seems like you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, Half-Life uses modified Quake 1 engine with bits from Quake 2 engine + bunch of custom code BUT Half-Life 2 uses Source Engine which is a completely new engine. Find out more at http://www.valvesoftware.com/sourcelicense/

bentllama
03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
well then i guess they decided to give awards to the game which had strengths... if your questioning why half life 2 got so many awards, its because it really was something special...

i dnt really have any probs with this, as im hoping that it is good advertising for quality games and thta people will follow suit... to be honest, there was nothing that bad with the hl2 multiplayer games anyway, so whats the beef? if u dont think halo 2 should have got it, then what should have??? im confused with that comment now, as ur first post just seems like a little bit of sour grapes....

"sour grapes" is the respect you have always shown me on these forums. shadowing every games related post I make with some halo 2 connotations. you have a history of trying to troll me. but, let's leave that aside, it is not the topic at hand. we should just agree to disagree.

bungie has a good relationship with valve. we respect each other as developers and peers in the industry. we both do great work. we are happy for each other for any accolades one recieves.

my query is more about the awards themselves. there are so many award shows out there that seem to be more for marketing and PR then the actual achievements themselves. blockbuster titles continue to get recognized because they have the money backing them.

IMO, HL2's MP portion was not as strong, or new as it could have been. they chose to focus on a very strong single player experience...an experience that deserves a whole lot of praise. it was stellar.

but...when award shows start going in the way of 'best kiss' and 'hottest digital boobs' like the way the Spike TV video game awards are going, it tends to discredit all but the important Interactive Achievment Awards...the awards that your peers from the industry vote on. the ones that count.

congrats again to HL2 on the IAA's. when great games get made, everybody wins.

Boone
03-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Re: FlyByNight & Bentllama.

Guys - these award shows are a load of bollocks anyway. They are usually presented by people who know ****-all about games - the kind who think FIFA is "well wicked".

The best thing to do is say assholes to these farces and go back to playing our wonderful games! :cool:

Mudvin
03-06-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm clearly understand what i'm talking about. Skeletal animation was introduced in HL1, and seems it doesn't much changed in HL2. The only new things is more polys in these so slowly developing maps(although they are still very blocky) and pixel shaders(shining stone floor deserves "game of the year" title, sure).

Characters like dogbot is just a question of good animators or mocap, there's no something so special about it. Citadel flyby is the only cinematic quality episode in the game.
They told that there will be no or very little scripted scenes. Hah. Just try to use feromones where you first meet with antlions, and see this "ai of the year". Bunch of bugs and glitches in multiplayer. Many hacks widely available. This is not that i can call "game of the year".
HL2DM already much less popular then it was 2 months ago. Whole game looks like it was developed for year or two, not 6 years.

Find out more at http://www.valvesoftware.com/sourcelicense/

What should i find here? Engine advertising? I've seen it already. There's no even a single word that it's a "brand new engine developed from scratch".

Doom3 which i like much more is also not what i was waiting for. But at least it's graphics is simply stunning.

Garma
03-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I agree, HL2 didn't come with multiplayer (HL2DM was added later) and CS:S doesn't count as HL2's multiplayer, it just uses the Source Engine.

it uses the source engine.. and thus the network capabilities of source. So any credit CS gains for internet play should indeed go to the source engine -> HL.

that said, the multiplayer experience of HL2 just sucks in my opinion and for the success of CS:Source they can thank the original CS modders.

TumikSmacker
03-07-2005, 04:49 AM
"...including best game and best online game."

Even the original Unreal Tournament blows its online out of the water!

Pete2003
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Mudvin: If not Half-Life 2 can you kindly let us know which game did deserve game of the year?

Technologically wise, Doom 3 has the best graphics in any game to date. However, for me I still think HL2 generally looks a lot better. The 'baked' lighting looks far better than Doom 3s dynamic lighting. Yes, those unrealistic hard-edged-shadows react to light sources as shadows should (as was excruciatingly 'shown off' in the sequence where you had to follow the guy with the lamp) but well, they just didnt feel right.

Despite all this, the award of 'game of the year' should in no way come down to graphics anyway. It should be given for the best gaming experience. Valve created a world that was so immersive and unique that it was easy to forget that you were playing a game. The game didnt 'play' like any other game neither in that there weren't huge 'signposts' telling you what was happening in order to keep the realism. Characters in the game acted far more realistically than anything before -again, to keep you immersed in the game...

Im going to stop now before this turns into an essay, but despite suffering from some minor bugs (some will probably argue Steam being the biggest bug of all) HL2 is an innovative game that breaks new boundaries not just technologically but emotionally and fully deserves the awards it receives.

(Hmm, welll apart from that one.....)

:) Pete.

FlyByNight
03-07-2005, 10:56 AM
"sour grapes" is the respect you have always shown me on these forums. shadowing every games related post I make with some halo 2 connotations. you have a history of trying to troll me. but, let's leave that aside, it is not the topic at hand. we should just agree to disagree.

bungie has a good relationship with valve. we respect each other as developers and peers in the industry. we both do great work. we are happy for each other for any accolades one recieves.

my query is more about the awards themselves. there are so many award shows out there that seem to be more for marketing and PR then the actual achievements themselves. blockbuster titles continue to get recognized because they have the money backing them.

IMO, HL2's MP portion was not as strong, or new as it could have been. they chose to focus on a very strong single player experience...an experience that deserves a whole lot of praise. it was stellar.

but...when award shows start going in the way of 'best kiss' and 'hottest digital boobs' like the way the Spike TV video game awards are going, it tends to discredit all but the important Interactive Achievment Awards...the awards that your peers from the industry vote on. the ones that count.

congrats again to HL2 on the IAA's. when great games get made, everybody wins.

dude u got me all wrong man, i got no beef wit u?????..... :(

thing is tho, if u read ur first post, it did kinda sound like that to me... i was jus bein honest... can understand tho.... ANYWAY, BOONE's got it spot on, awards ceremonies have ALWAYS been a load of 'bolox', so u shouldn read that much into it...

i mean i realised that when i was 11.... no point in watchin award ceremonies cos their obviously not 100% accurate... they never could possibly be accurate ANYWAY, cos so many people got different opinions, and see things very differenlty.... shouldnt take it to heart, but it understandable that u get dissapointed..

seriously dude, sorry for the offense taken... none intended.. jus call it how i see it... like i see, these forums definately appreciate thegood wrk coming out of bungie:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PhantomDesign
03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm clearly understand what i'm talking about. Skeletal animation was introduced in HL1, and seems it doesn't much changed in HL2. The only new things is more polys in these so slowly developing maps(although they are still very blocky) and pixel shaders(shining stone floor deserves "game of the year" title, sure).

Characters like dogbot is just a question of good animators or mocap, there's no something so special about it. Citadel flyby is the only cinematic quality episode in the game.
They told that there will be no or very little scripted scenes. Hah. Just try to use feromones where you first meet with antlions, and see this "ai of the year". Bunch of bugs and glitches in multiplayer. Many hacks widely available. This is not that i can call "game of the year".
HL2DM already much less popular then it was 2 months ago. Whole game looks like it was developed for year or two, not 6 years.

For being on a CG forum, you know surprisingly little about game engines or video game development. All you could think of was skeletal animation? What about the new advanced facial animation capabilities - they're the best I've seen in ANY game by far. It's DirectX 9 (graphics) technology is greater or equal to any released game, with the added bonus of running like a dream. Don't forget the impressive physics - they're far more realistic than any other game I've played (I like Max Payne 2 physics, but they weren't on the same level as HL2). Then there are all of the little pieces of detail that Valve added to make it just that much better - like splintering wood.

I don't know why you're so hell-bent on bashing :wip: Half-Life 2. If you have no idea what you're talking about, it's generally best to say nothing at all. Even your comment on the scripted sequences is ignorant; I believe the real statements was "Let me emphasize that these are not scripted sequences" - referring to squad-based AI in the E3 video - they used scripted sequences as icing on the cake, which is a GOOD thing. I have no desire to argue with you, so just get your facts straight.

MCronin
03-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Well congratulations to Valve. As for all the arguing... HL2DM is not Half-Life 2's online component, CS:Source is. It's what shipped with HL2. HL2DM AFAIK, was cobbled together just to give the mod community a starting point for multiplayer mods. That said, I do think that CS:Source (HL2) deserved to be best online game. It's like chess, no matter how old and dated the gameplay may be it requires a certain level of strategy and skill other online shooters just can't seem to match (save maybe DoD). To me most of these other online shooters come off gimmicky by comparison.

Para
03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
PhantomDesign: You got it right there.

Besides if one feature exists in one engine that's publically available now (lets use Shader Model 3.0+scattering media technique utilized in the unnamed engine used in 3Dmark05 (http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark05/) as an example) would that mean that all the other engines after that are based on that engine if they utilize the same techniques, like UE3 would be based on that because UE3 has SM3.0 and Maxwell Render (http://www.maxwellrender.com) too because of the scattering media? And just think the licensing fees they would have to pay.

Faceblur
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
technicality aside, i really loved HL2 and very well deserving the awards they recieved (besides the multiplayer award). There's far more story here than any other recent FPS released these two years.

bentllama
03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
flybynight: cool. sorry for the misconception.

game on. :)

this thread makes me want to pick up HL2's single player from the begining one more time... :)

Mudvin
03-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Mudvin: If not Half-Life 2 can you kindly let us know which game did deserve game of the year?

It was no such a game released in 2004. I don't see any game that really deserve such award. Actually nothing new in sense of gameplay was released in 2004. Even HL1 was more interesting then HL2.
But D3 gets first place in my own roster because of it's graphics and overall good and solid game design. It doesn't shining with the script, but it's very durable.

...It should be given for the best gaming experience. Valve created a world that was so immersive and unique that it was easy to forget that you were playing a game...

I can't agree with this, sorry. It's nothing new for me in hour-and-half water/road/sand chases, and it doesn't interesting for me. I think i will never ever play single in HL2 again. And you know, dying from "world" is not "minor bug", especially in multiplayer when you leading with 40x1 score.
------------------

For being on a CG forum, you know surprisingly little about game engines or video game development.

Really? I have to show this to to my colleagues from past two works where i've worked on two game titles. They didn't knew.

All you could think of was skeletal animation? What about the new advanced facial animation capabilities - they're the best I've seen in ANY game by far.

So, you think that the vertices of the face are moving by some unknown developer's magic? Or maybe it's still skeletal animation or simple vertices interpolation, eh?

It's DirectX 9 (graphics) technology is greater or equal to any released game, with the added bonus of running like a dream.

Yeah, i'm still investigating how to make my screen brighter. Now i know that being not able do this is actually DirectX9 feature. Shining stone floors and lime walls probably another feature of DirectX9.

Don't forget the impressive physics - they're far more realistic than any other game I've played

I already talked about physics. They're using Havok engine, and there's nothing special about it. Moreover - it's buggy as hell. And finally - i doesn't like corpses that behaviour not like 80kg sack(as it should), but like crazy windmill fan. There's nothing realistic in body dynamics in HL2. These stupid non-solid pushing barrels in CSS are just ridiculous.

Then there are all of the little pieces of detail that Valve added to make it just that much better - like splintering wood.

Oh, what a discovery. Replacing one model with bunch of others with a trigger event. So complex. Sure we didn't has this in HL1. Or wait....i remember that i did a test map with exactly the same feature in Worldcraft. How it can be???

If you have no idea what you're talking about, it's generally best to say nothing at all

Yeah, try to apply this to yourself first :D

richcz3
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I bought the Silver package and HL2 was good but not stellar. It was not impressed by its (lack of) storyline. Counter Strike:Source was and is still problematic in hit boxes and lacks physics.

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch was released just before the holidays and with just 2 modified HL2 maps. I was really impressed with the grav gun physics and straight forward gamelplay. So much so I bought multiple licenses to play it over a LAN durring the holidays. I even went through the scant tutorials to build maps.

That being written, giving HL2 any awards for online MP game of the year is a major rip on other titles that are proven and far more deserving. C'mon. there really is only one mode of play in HL2: DM while other titles are beyond that. Cheats and bugs also abound with CS:Source. On top of that Steam has proven to be a major problem for many players. Discounting those serious issues shows contempt for the online playing public. :rolleyes:

Pete2003
03-08-2005, 12:36 AM
It's nothing new for me in hour-and-half water/road/sand chases, and it doesn't interesting for me.

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I wont comment on your other comments as thats up to PhatomDesign. However, it beats me how HalfLife 2 'offers nothing new' to you when Doom 3 was a remake of the first one and handled things in exactly the same way following the simple formula:
1. Walk into room
2. Pick up health/armour/gun/ammo
3. Woops -Nasty monsters teleport in
4. Kill monsters
5. Walk into next room
6. Repeat

Did you not notice the beautiful concept design apparent all the way through HL2?! It was apparent in the war-torn buildings, in the propaganda posters decaying on the walls, in the alien designs (the alien gunships and dropships especially)...

I just know one thing. As soon as I had finished HL2, I played through it again. I havent done that in a long, long time.

Pete.

t-man152
03-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Mudvin "Game of the year" is an award for exaclty that the best game of the year. even if you thought that every single game sucked one has to be the best of the worst. I really liked HL2 and thought it definitly deserves the awards it got.

out of all the games this year what was the one that you thought was the best (doesnt have to be good in your eye.) and just out of curiosity what games do you normally enjoy because with all the choices out there this year if you like video games you should have found a game that you enjoy.

Jhonus
03-08-2005, 12:43 AM
It was no such a game released in 2004. I don't see any game that really deserve such award. Actually nothing new in sense of gameplay was released in 2004. Even HL1 was more interesting then HL2.

Soooooo... no game released during 2004 deserved to win the "best game of 2004 award"?

t-man152
03-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Soooooo... no game released during 2004 deserved to win the "best game of 2004 award"?
maybe the best game of this year was released in 2001?

Mudvin
03-08-2005, 08:04 AM
1. Walk into room
2. Pick up health/armour/gun/ammo
Did you not notice the beautiful concept design apparent all the way through HL2?! It was apparent in the war-torn buildings, in the propaganda posters decaying on the walls, in the alien designs (the alien gunships and dropships especially)...

Yep, single player maps design is good...sometime. Sometime worst. As i stated above, Citadel flyby creates most impression from the game for me. It's very stylish, an very impressive.
Regarding D3 - i told already that it's not shining with it's script, but graphics are just superb even with all these sharp dark shadows and other things, and i like it very much.

out of all the games this year what was the one that you thought was the best (doesnt have to be good in your eye.) and just out of curiosity what games do you normally enjoy because with all the choices out there this year

I like FPS games mainly, but there was no FPS released in 2004 like SystemShock 1/2 or like Quake1 Team Fortress. System Shock has unbeatable single play, while QuakeTF is unbeatable multiplayer. There are was no game that was even somehow close to that couple. Actually i'm disappointing in modern games. Will see what Doom3:RoE and U3 will represent...

PS: 2last ironical posters: i think that the prize should be given to really good games. Not to the "best from the crap". If you will have 3 very bad games, then you'll prefer to select best of those, or just don't give the prize at all?

FlyByNight
03-08-2005, 11:39 AM
anyone played any of the games thaht this guys chatin about?? id b interested in hearing if their any good?

Benttlama:: :thumbsup: :scream: :p :beer:

PhantomDesign
03-08-2005, 03:17 PM
...at Mudvin...

Can someone tell me whether or not I should even bother discussing these issues with him? Yes I know about the replacement of models, skeletal systems, etc, etc, etc. You’re completely missing the point. The facial animation system is based on the work of psychologists – this is the kind of level of detail that Valve put in their engine. I know Valve started with Havok, but they modified it. Of course the wood splintering is a system where you replace models with other models. By your arguments, we could easily discount skeletal animation features as new when it first came out because all they’re doing is moving the vertices of the polygons on a simple “hinge” formula. You’re completely missing the point.

I think all that’s going on here is you were so intent on hating Half Life 2 (like your comment about scripted sequences) that when you got it – you hated it. You were probably bashing it long before HL2 came out. Half Life 2 has an excellent engine, the resources in the game (textures, models, etc) are of superb quality, and the content (gameplay) is great too. Yes it is lacking in some areas – I never claimed Valve was God – but overall denying what Valve accomplished in the creation of Half Life 2 is ridiculous.

Say what you want, but I’ve already wasted enough time.

Boone
03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I think Altered Beast on the PS2 should be the best game of 2005 - you can transform into a giant Monkey! :bounce:

I can only really say Doom3 would be my game of 2004...the Chainsaw CANNOT be beaten! :twisted:

Chaosphere
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
best online game ... WoW... or Call of Duty : United Offensive :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.