PDA

View Full Version : Creating Beams of Light... Help please

Fall0ut
03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
hello, let me start of by saying I use 3Dsmax7

I always wanted to make like rays or beams of light. I tried different ways but they all that I tried failed. So I am asking you to help a fellow noob :P

I understand that the beams in this pic maybe photoshopped, but this pic should explain the way I want to create my light

http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery/images/big/1704.jpg

Aruna
03-05-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm confused.. Do you want to create these beams of light in your compositing package, or are you asking how to do it in 3DS Max?

If you want to accomplish this in your comp package, (and I'll use this image as an example) you could trace the edges of the trees, and then create a radial blur from far offscreen that would blur to the length you wanted.

If you wanted to do this in 3D, you could model the beams of light and then assign them a translucent foggy texture. That's a quick, rough way to create godrays.

Fall0ut
03-05-2005, 01:18 AM
hehe sorry, I'm a noob

I want to be able to do it in 3Dsmax

Boa
03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Creating Beams of Light

You can use any 2D map as a projector map of your light plus a Volume Light as effect (under the Atmospher&Effects rollout of your light). In the setup of the volume light add some noise.

For the projector map you can do a quick test with a checker map. Depending on the needs of your scene you may want to paint your own b/w projector map.

You can get nice results when using a decay with your light and adjusting the Intensity Multiplier of your light (quite low) and the Density value of the volume effect (quite high). This way you get nice streaks of light and just some very subtle splotches of light on your objects. You might want to add additional lights to your scene for overall lighting.

Hope this helps,
Andrea

Fall0ut
03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Creating Beams of Light

You can use any 2D map as a projector map of your light plus a Volume Light as effect (under the Atmospher&Effects rollout of your light). In the setup of the volume light add some noise.

For the projector map you can do a quick test with a checker map. Depending on the needs of your scene you may want to paint your own b/w projector map.

You can get nice results when using a decay with your light and adjusting the Intensity Multiplier of your light (quite low) and the Density value of the volume effect (quite high). This way you get nice streaks of light and just some very subtle splotches of light on your objects. You might want to add additional lights to your scene for overall lighting.

Hope this helps,
Andrea

yeah thanks a lot.

Ill do that

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.