PDA

View Full Version : AE keeps crashing on me..help?

bluenote
03-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm using AE 6.5 and latly it crashs alot without any obvious reason.
It can happen when i'm previewing, adding a solid layer, draggin footage to the timeline or adding an effect.
Generally the error message has something to do with not enough memory, though this is obviously not the problem...

I wanna mention that i'm using an ATI RADEON 9500pro/9700 card with 128MB video memory and dual monitors (two analog monitor, one sitting on the analog port and one on the DVI port).

I'm starting to loose my mind here, can anyone help please??

Cathy
03-04-2005, 07:24 PM
What's your computer platform and operating system?
How much RAM do you have?
What do you have the memory cache in AE set to?

bluenote
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a Pentium 4 1.4MHz, Windows 2000, 392MB RAM, 200GB HardDisk.

I don't really know what is the "AE Cache memory", but know that you mention it, the error msg does say something about not enough cache to do something...
What is it and how do i change it?

bluenote
03-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok, I found the memory and cache preferences. this is what it was set for:
"Maximum memory usage: 120% = 460MB"
"Maximum RAM cache size: 60% = 230MB"
the "Enable Disk Cache" was disabled.

Are these setting are good enough? do i need to change them? I've got lots of fre disk space, should i enable the Disk Cache?

Cathy
03-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes. Enable disk cache and if that doesn't work, up the image cache to 80%. The catch to this is that you will probably not be able to run any other programs while running AE. I can't garuntee that this will work - but what I would suggest is that you buy more RAM for your machine - 512 minimum if not a full Gig. AE is a RAM HOG. I'm running it cross platform on both a Mac and a PC and I have 1.5 Gig's of RAM on my machines and it STILL slows down on heavy effects driven projects.Good Luck!

bluenote
03-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, I enabled the Disk Cache, boosted up the RAM Cache Size to 80%, closed all other programs and it still crashs!

Now it happens on the early stages of a project:
I created a composition (NTCS D1 720x486), 14 seconds.
I added a solid
I started drawing a path with 5 point.
when i finished the path it started giving me all sort of Not-Enough-Memory-to-perform-some-operation messages, and crashed.

It's not even a heavy project or complicated effects.
Do you have any idea what could cause it?
maybe the display adaptor? maybe the OpenGL driver?

Cathy
03-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Sounds like a RAM shortage. I'd suggest installing more RAM.

To conserve the RAM you have try lowering the Comp. resolution to "half" or lower.
Also check that your Comp Fast Previews are set to use OpenGL with Adaptive Resolution. (Click the Previews button on the Comp. Window) also -
Choose Edit>Preferences>Previews> Click on OpenGL Info

For more detailed info on this check your AE manual under the heading "Using OpenGL interactive previewing"

Other than this - I'm out of ideas. Maybe there's someone else on this forum that knows more about the memory problems in AE? If so - feel free to jump in!

bluenote
03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Uuhhhhrr, I'm going crazy!

It still doesnt work!
this time i copied the error message, which now appears even when starting a new project, creating a new comp and clicking "Save as...".

The message is:

>> After Effects: not enough memory to create U_MemTrackedObject.
>> (1K requested, 0K available)

the same message appears, regardless of the action that triggered it.
Most of the times clicking the "OK" button does'nt affect and I need to close the app from the Task Manager.

I did everything i thought about: enabled disk cache, increasing RAM %, lowering the Undo levels, closing all other programs.

What else can I do??
Do you thing it's a faulty pluging installation that may cause it?

Tommi
03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm going to do a wild guess...
Do you use Windows XP with service pack 2?
If so, this might be the cause of your problem. I don't know how After Effects 6 handles memory, but as soon as it modifies memory portions with code in it, Windows prevents this action due to security reasons. That's a feature that newly came with SP2 and made a couple of applications disfunctional.
I'm not sure whether this might help, but you could go to the system settings panel, double click "System" and go to the "Advanced" tab. There you hit the top settings button (System Performance) - then hit the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Click the second option which grants exceptions. Add the After Effects exe-file from the appropriate program folder as an exception to this list, hit okay. You need to reboot.

I'm curious whether this approach fixes the problem.
If not, there might be other things screwing your system up. Maybe a firewall, spyware, a virus or maybe even newly installed graphics drivers. Try to remember what you've done to your computer lately. If you did a driver update, try to revert the update and keep on testing AE.
If virus checking, scanning for spyware and so on does not help, I'd consult Adobe's support center...

An excellent free spyware-scanner can be downloaded from here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

There's also a free virus scanner for (private use only) here: http://www.free-av.com/

bluenote
03-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advise but I don't use Windows XP.

I use Windows 2000 with SP4 and i'm updating it regularly with security patches.
I have a good antivirus program (that didn't detect a virus), and i use AdAware for the spybots.
I also use ZoneAlarm as firewall.

I'll try to think if I installed anything suspicious lately, but i really can't think of anything...

artisanfx
03-10-2005, 11:59 PM
First what i have to say is that you really buy more memory for your computer because affter effect use a huge of memory to work correct and fast

second i just guess that you maybe have also some memory problems on that what you using now there can be some error on a particly space on the memory maybe some bad sector what can be the main problems

rgds

Cathy
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm out of ideas besides buying more RAM.
But there are some good resources you can tap for technical assistance at Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html

Mon - Fri / 6:00 AM - 5:00 PM (PST) - 1-800-879-3219

Good Luck!
-Cathy

bluenote
03-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Thank you guys for all your help.

I'll let you know of any new developments..:sad:

s0r|n3l
03-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I have same problem with my AE 6.5 Pro, at home, last month, but now that was dissapear. I don't discover how to solve it then, and now I don't have the problem to try to resolve. :eek:
I have an CPU Athlon XP2400+, RAM 512MB and a GC Radeon 9200Pro.

Starting with last week I have another big problem, with AE 6.5 Pro at job.
From time to time, even after a reboot when AE run, without another software start in background, my sistem crash, freeze, even I render at that time or look and try to modify something in my compo. This happend with all older projects or with newer one.
I don't know what make it happend.
(CPU PIV 2800Hz, RAM 1GB an video RADEON 9000 Pro)

If you have any answers please feel free to tell me.

P.S. Sorry Bluenote for posting my AE problem in your thread.

bluenote
03-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi, s0r|n3l, no problem at all. I'm currently just downloading every maintenance/diagnostic/optimization freeware i can find to check if perhaps the problem is with my hardware, though it's not likely, because evrything else seems to work fine.

I also don't think it's a lack of RAM problem, because as i mentioned before AE crashs even when saving a new and completly empty comp.

Sorry i can't help you, but if you find some solution, let us know!

Good luck :thumbsup:

scrimski
03-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Buy more RAM. I got AE running right now ( project/composition containing some footage, stills and FX) and my task manager says it needs 180 MB(just for viewing, no preview, no rendering). With XP and all that firewall-virus-scanner-stuff in the background thtere isn't much RAM left in your 328 MB for working with AE.

artisanfx
03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah thats what i say to ...
by more ram :)

rabban
09-01-2005, 04:03 AM
i have a simular problem...i can't save or import anything...i don'y get a error message either.

Whazzup
09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
there's a patch for AE6.5 which brings it up to 6.5.1. Download it from Adobe's site. It may help.

joviphang
09-09-2005, 01:31 AM
If ONLY you have try everything.

Plan A. uninstall AE and reinstall AE
Plan B. update your graphic card driver
Plan C. take out all your rams, slot in one at a time to test (maybe having a faulty ram)
Plan D. reinstall window and AE
Last Plan. Format and install window n AE first, if window r able to detect your graphic card

Good Luck

Jovi

MichaelMaehring
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi

my system:

Windows XP64bit
athlon 4000+ X2
4gig RAM
1x geforce 7800
a8n sli deluxe mainboard

and Iīve got exactly the same problems with After Effects memory error messages, also at 30% of RAM usage

So itīs no matter of RAM I suppose.

I have a 6min project consisting out of about 20 layers - no way to render the whole thing.

I have now rearranged my composition to only render the essential layout elements and do the rest in premiere. This seems to work now.

What I donīt understand is that there is no "batch utility" which causes After Effects to export each and every single frame (which one could rebuild easily by using premiere).

Does anyone know if thereīs a script for doing so?

regards,

cgeveryday
12-06-2005, 11:52 PM
if you have installed Quicktime 7 then get rid of it. Roll back to last 6x release.

gaberojas
12-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I had the same problem on a G5 with 4.5 gigs of ram.

The "Maximum memory usage: 120%" made me wonder. Use more memory that is available? Or in my case use more memory that AE can handle 2.4 gigs. After changing that setting to 90% I never saw that error again. Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2005, 12:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.