PDA

View Full Version : Nokia: N-Gage ain’t not going nowhere

RobertoOrtiz
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Quote:
"Nokia’s Chief Financial Officer, is quoted as saying:
”We are a product company. That’s a virtue, not an evil. How we’re going to play the gaming business across the whole portfolio is what you need to keep an eye on, and part of that is including with the N-Gage game decks, obviously… Our approach to this is, let’s continue to take what we’ve learned, what we’ve done right, and where we need to make corrections, and that’s in retail, in games development and in the deck itself… Mobile gaming is here to stay, the question is how the value chain is created and who can take advantage of it.”"

>>Link<< (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000387034213/)
-R

rebo
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I always think its interesting how a large company deals with the abject failure of a product. Whilst N-gage was not a great product at all, its demise will say alot about how mobile technology will develop over the next 15 years. I think we will continue to see development principly centered around mobile/pda with a bit of game functionality built in running in parallel with the pure gaming system like the DS etc.

It seemed N-gage attempt to build a telecommunications platform based on a gaming system didnt work, and as such i very much doubt we will ever see similar systems ever again. In truth this doesnt concern me as its not a particularly great idea. I buy a mobile to phone and text people and a i buy a DS for some action. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

slaughters
03-04-2005, 02:30 PM
...I buy a mobile to phone and text people and a i buy a DS for some action. Ne'er the twain shall meet.Where as I use a computer for both ! :)

The point being that times change, markets change. N-Gage is a nice idea with some usability problems. One of which is that it is really too bulky to carry around as a phone, and who really carts their game player around 24/7 day after day? (There is the whole lack of game content problem as well)

Gentle Fury
03-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I personally believe that portable video devices like this won't really come into their own until they stop relying on crappy little screens and start using eye pieces to view with. I don't really understand why noone has done this yet. They sell these video players and game devices with little tiny LCD screens when they could just make one with no screen and uses an eyepiece to display the image....watching a movie or playing a game requires a lot of attention anyway and are not meant to be used while doing anything that requires both eyes....so if your using your device on a train or a plane, or bored at work...would you rather have a 3.7 inch screen or a project 60" screen?

arquebus
03-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Nokia is hung up on themeselves. After being a market leader for so long, they are more worried about making a fashion statement rather than give customers what they want. So they try and force feed the public on stupid concepts like the N-Gage, a big handheld with graphics not much better than normal cellphone game graphics, and a stupid button layout. Cant wait to see how they "improve" on that.

Para
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Nokia is hung up on themeselves. After being a market leader for so long, they are more worried about making a fashion statement rather than give customers what they want. So they try and force feed the public on stupid concepts like the N-Gage, a big handheld with graphics not much better than normal cellphone game graphics, and a stupid button layout. Cant wait to see how they "improve" on that.

You should see the oddest Nokia's concept phones. I'm talking about those that never get into production. I personally haven't used or tested none of 'em (that's why I can talk about those things) but I must say that sometimes they seem like as if the designer was on something while designing the phone form- and feature wise.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.