PDA

View Full Version : Triangles, Quads, or auto?

phlio
09-19-2002, 05:20 PM
I would like to know when you would want to use quads in LW Modeler, when triangles, and when to set it to auto. I remember back in the day when I first started learning LW, we always used quads when we were going to subdiv (I think that's why, but it was a while ago, heh). Now that I am trying to pick back up on it all again after a long stint in real life, I was wondering when you would use which. Any help or suggestions you'd be willing to offer would be great!

:wavey: Thx!
Phlio

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 05:29 PM
quads.

triangles in the end if it's a game model (usually).

and quads are supremely preferred for sub-d models because of how the tesselation is calculated. using quads prevents certain problems from arising.

and it's easier to follow contours with quads. and there are plenty of tools in LW that require quads, and can't use tris. (bandsaw, for example)

phlio
09-19-2002, 05:39 PM
Thanks for clarifying that for me LyonHaert. I had always used quads when I did the modeling but I saw a model that a friend of mine was doing and he was using triangles and wondered if maybe I was missing something.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular scenario where I would definately want to use the triangles over the quads other than the game scenario?

Phlio

Carlocki
09-19-2002, 05:44 PM
hmm interesting
another question from me
how is the simplest tool to do some like this....

http://www.dimensionearte.it/Public/imgp/239_4.jpg
cow carpet ....cow's skin carpet

and when i make a bootle or a glass of wine using lathe tool the base profile has to be an single spline or a closed one?
thanks

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 05:46 PM
i'm not sure. it probably depends on the shapes of the object you're creating. and if it's not going to be sub-d, it probably won't matter much. of course, even if you are doing sub-d, there's the 4-point triangle technique (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/4pointtriangles/index.html)

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 05:49 PM
re: lathe

if you use an open spline for just the outside of the bottle, that's all the geometry that will be created. if you use a closed spline to also define the inside edge of the bottle, then that geometry will be created.

as for the cowskin carpet, i would use a flat - or at least very shallow - box with enough segments that you can pull points around to match/create such a shape.

Carlocki
09-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by LyonHaert
re: lathe

if you use an open spline for just the outside of the bottle, that's all the geometry that will be created. if you use a closed spline to also define the inside edge of the bottle, then that geometry will be created.

and about make double sided to the single spline?

for the renderin final effect do i need a closed spline to obtain a good galss material

hoping to be clear

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 06:11 PM
well, as far as glass goes, this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21162) will be more helpful than i can. there's also a link within it to a glass bottle tutorial.

phlio
09-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Aaah yea ok (bling, the light pops on), I saw that tutorial on the newtek site and it again made me wonder about that. Now I see how that could be useful if you needed a triangle poly in a model that is SubD'd. Thanks again Lyon! :thumbsup:

Phlio

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.