PDA

View Full Version : WIP head surface

jkushwara
09-19-2002, 06:16 PM
First time posting...
Working on surfacing this character following Leigh's great diffusion for dummies tutorial. Going for a realistic tired and haggard look, will be seen in envrionments that are very dark and moody. No hair, neck or ear maps yet. Any comments or critiques are welcome !
(created in LW)

Thanks,
Jay

leigh
09-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Well, it's looking cool so far - except maybe just a little too desaturated. Try and get some more rich, fleshy tones in there :)
Also, it would probably look better if you used a hair plugin for the eyebrows - they look a little bit strange and flat.

You really need to work on your bump map now - use it to more add cool wrinkles and so on to the face - especially around the eyes, as that area is sorely lacking in detail right now. I can see that you have added wrinkles to the forehead already - now go wild with the rest of the face. Also, add some bumps to the lips.

It would also help to make it more believable if you add blemishes such as feckles, scars, spots and so on to him. At the moment, his skin is too clear.

A good start though :D

Glad you like the tutorial :thumbsup:

jkushwara
09-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks Leigh- I'll be refining it after a trip this week. You hit a few nails right on the head and I appreciate the feedback !
Main thing I was concerned about was a comment a coartist made about it looking "sandblasted" (too textured), and this dosen't appear to be an issue. I'll keep you posted.

Jay

dark_lotus
09-23-2002, 09:13 PM
One thing you could do is add gradients to make the skin appear more fleshy,

I had created this earlier, and I think it will help.

Experiment with the downloadable texture here, http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21717

It uses gradients to simulate the different layers of dermis (skin)

That and Leighs suggestions should make it look super!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.