PDA

View Full Version : Special Buffers?

leigh
09-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey all :)

Okay, how many of you have ever used the Special Buffers in the Surface Editor?
I know how they work, and what they do, and I've used them before, and set them up correctly and all that, but I never seem to see much (if any) of a difference...
Has anybody got any tips for using them?

It should be a really useful tool, and I'm keen to find out how to utilise it better.

red_oddity
09-19-2002, 05:17 PM
We use it alot to do masking and create different alphas in one render pass. Also, some of the cooler image filter plugins allow you to use them as masks as well (bloom, corona)
The only problem i have with the special buffers is that there seems to be just one, even though you have 4 special buffer inputs.

leigh
09-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Yeah - that's exactly what I've noticed too! Even though they are supposed to work with 4 slots, the ones after 1 don't seem to have a effect.
I think I will investigate this further :)

Eugeny
09-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Guys did u read the manual?
The slots of special buffer is for image filters slotted under Image process -> Add image Filter. Here is the example:
I used special buffer 1 - 100% and first image filter was corona with impute channel - Specular shading and Threshold Mask - Special buffer
special buffer 2 - 60% and second image filter is Full Precision Blur with Use Mask option - Special Surface (i don't know why this option called Special Surface instead Special Buffer).
U can see the difference on attached picture - the upper image use Special buffer for second filter and lower not.
I found that only few filters can use the Special buffer - Corona, FP Blur, Photoshop PSD Export, Soften reflection - funny but it's only four! Now i understand why Special Buffer have only 4 slots :)

leigh
09-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Aaah that makes sense :)

As I said, I know what it is, but I just hadn't seen any major differences before :)

Eugeny
09-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Me to :) To be honest i discovered this only now (he he) so thank u for your post :thumbsup:

leigh
09-20-2002, 11:53 AM
hehehe cool :thumbsup:

I can't believe I never realised the correlation between the fact that there were only 4 slots, and only 4 buffers that worked with it :blush: hehehehe so thanks for pointing that out ;)

wgreenlee1
09-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Wow..........thanks for the info!

leigh
09-20-2002, 12:27 PM
I smell a tutorial!
I will become an expert on this over the weekend, and write a tutorial on this! :D
That way, everyone can start using it!

wgreenlee1
09-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Wow again Leigh!
I was going to try something with this but didnt know where to begin.
This sounds like another one for the Newtek site also....Proton will be excited!:cool:

leigh
09-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Yay! :cool:

I'll get cracking on it this evening :)
Luckily, I have a nice long weekend (til next Wednesday Woohoooo!!), so I'll have something by then ;)

red_oddity
09-20-2002, 01:10 PM
You lucky bugger, all i get to look out at this weekend is the looming deadlines everyday :annoyed:

proton
09-20-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm going to hold you to it Leigh :)

leigh
09-20-2002, 03:06 PM
But of course ;)
:D

roguenroll
09-20-2002, 07:51 PM
i think I just learn'did sumthin' :buttrock:

Rogue

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.