PDA

View Full Version : CENTUAR rig need help

katon
09-19-2002, 03:05 PM
i am rigging a centaur i modeled and was wondering if anyone new of any good bone set ups for this or of any tutroials even. i have been trying to thinkk of a good bone set up but i was wanting to get opinioons first and see what other epople have to say. any sugestions would be greatly apreciated. thanks

jschleifer
09-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Which part are you having the most difficulty with? seems like it'd be a fun interesting setup to try.. how do you extend the spine along the body of the centaur? do you just connect it all the way from the head of the neck down to the tail? do you break it up as you would a horse and rider? how much freedom to twist the torso do you give? Does the human's torso start at the pelvis, right below the rib cage, below the pelvis.. how's it work?

fun problem! :)

katon
09-21-2002, 09:47 PM
well i am not having lots of problems yet but how i have it is the human rig goes down to where his pelvis would be and then form there a bone extends out like a tail and goes down through the spine of the horse and on that spine i have the legs. i think that way will work but i was hoping maybe someone had a good idea for a set up. just curious. and any ideas would be nice. thanks

Peace455
09-22-2002, 09:07 PM
If you could post a screne shot that would help see, and come to a answer/conclusion quicker.

I kinda see the model your talking about but I might have twisted it (due to my hyper active imagination)

M.:buttrock:

katon
09-22-2002, 09:40 PM
well here is a print screen of what i did already but ti is not what i was going ot use. i just used this to pose him real quick for some renders. but i think somehting simalar to this will work. tell me what you think of the bone set up and if you have any good ideas. thanks alot.

katon

Peace455
09-24-2002, 05:08 PM
First off I would like to say that is a very nice model u have there.

About the skeleton, it looks fine to me, that how I would have rigged it if it were my model, but I noticed a few things

The upperbody seems fine, don't need to adjust anything there.

The back legs, I can't quite put my finger on it but there might be too many joints. I'm thinking about when u put chains on it, how u would setup the chain and if u were to put a single chain on the back leg u would have to put 2 chains . . . getting confused. . .

Let me think about it somemore, I've never rigged a character like that but its not too difficult to figure out with some heavy thinking.

Have u put chains on yet? or made any advacnes. I'd like to know how he turns out when he's done rigged.

Try putting chains on him and gettin some basic motion. That should force any complications to reveal themselves.

Be back later . . .

Peace455:buttrock:

goosh
09-24-2002, 05:21 PM
That's really cool!!!

Ok.. I would probably make one of two little changes that I can see from here

One would be to add at least one spine bone.. I think you'll get more movement out of it.. with 2 it might be a little bit limiting.

The other thing is down at the foot/toe area

I would ad another bone right at the end.. well, between the last and second last joint.

This way you'll still be able to keep the foot (nail or whatever you call them in a horse) down and rotatethe keel all the way down to touch the ground.. I know it's pretty extreme move, but I'm sure you want to have this kind of free movement... it'll ad a lot to your animation. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll draw you a little thing)

It looks great otherwise.. I'd love to see it animated... And like Peace mentioned.. it'll be interesting to see what you do with your IK chains :)

Good luck

Goosh

katon
09-25-2002, 12:46 AM
thanks for the comments and yes i ahve put this bone setup to him and i did not use ik in the back legs it does not owork right with quadrepeds legs back there i just used fk and here is a pic of him posed i did it to take with me to sigraph. i did it quick and it is not perfect but that is what i am doing now. so i hope you like it. keep any ideas coming i would love it. thanks

katon

goosh
09-25-2002, 01:34 AM
That looks really cool

The only thing that I noticed on the pics is not the centuar, but the bow.. if you are pulling the string (bow line.. whatever it's called) I think the bow would arc more... .. it would feel the tension..

I don't know.. I don't know too much about bows, but it looks like it's on a relax state and not drawn...

anyway.. looks awesome..

G

katon
09-25-2002, 01:39 AM
yeah man you are right about the bow i noticed that about the bow after i rendered it. my computer takes forever to render this stuff and so i didnt get to re render it in time. so this is what i have i am re rendering it though. i will have to bend the bow and make a rig for it i just built that bow to through up ther with him. i was dumb and did not bend it. but anyways thanks for the help and if you can help with rig stuff let me know any sugestions thanks

katon

-dc-
09-25-2002, 03:52 AM
Katon,

That is an awesome model man! Let me know if you need any help setting that guy up...I would have a blast with something like this!

Take care,

Joe

Peace455
09-25-2002, 05:13 AM
Nice Poses!!!

Looks like everything turned out lovely!!

Yeah I was wondering how you would chain up the back, I guess no chain would be the best.

Once again that model rocks:buttrock:

If you get an animation up or any more pic, let us know.

Peace 455

katon
09-25-2002, 06:05 AM
cool guys thanks alot if i ever get to some animation soon which i hope i can i will post it for some critique i already get alot of critique but i could use some more i guess. thanks and if anyone thinks of a genius idea for something cool to do to him. please let me know.
cheers

katon

dwalden74
10-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi-

Nice modelling job there. IŽd be interested in seeing some animation tests of this, also a screen shot of the skeleton rig. From the screenshot you posted, it seems you were *not* separating the pelvis and chest... IŽd like to see how this works in animation.... I personally would prefer to separate the different body areas so I donŽt have to set up too many expressions counteracting pelvis/spine rotations (for example). If U could posts some AVI tests that would be cool.

.. and keep up the good work!
-David:beer:

katon
10-11-2002, 06:43 PM
well thanks guys for the help but right now i am doing other stuff also this is not the final rig and i dont use it yet for animation i just used it for posing so what you are seeing is not what i will use most likely even though it does work well already but like i said i am doing other characters and stuff so slowly but surely i am going to get to his rig and textures. so thanks guys alot for the help and if anyone has sugestions let me know. and when i do some animations with him i will post them on here. cool thanks again guys

katon

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.