PDA

View Full Version : The TRAILER of the TRAILER: Star Wars Episode III

RobertoOrtiz
03-04-2005, 05:06 AM
http://starwars.com/episode-iii/release/trailer/mov/2_0.mov

-R

JDex
03-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Hmmm, why would they put it on in the middle of the lamest, teeny-opera since Dawson's Creek. I didn't realize that this was the new Starwars demographic. :shrug:

47Gut
03-04-2005, 05:14 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$

fez
03-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks for posting. So far I like everything I have seen of Sith. I watched Episode 2 last night. Certainly not my favorite (Lucas and his cowriter made some poor dialogue decisions and I think we all know what scenes should have been on the cutting room floor), but they did have some sweet action set pieces didn't they? Obi and Bubba facing off in the rain...troopers marching through the dust storm...the rumble in the arena...Obi dodging sonic explosions in the asteroid field...all pretty cool IMO.

colintheys
03-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Hmmm, why would they put it on in the middle of the lamest, teeny-opera since Dawson's Creek. I didn't realize that this was the new Starwars demographic. :shrug:

I think the demographic has changed a lot. I used to be a total die-hard fan. I even ran my own Star Wars RPG for about 5 years. However, now I find myself wondering now if I'll see the new movie on the first or second day, but whether I'll bother seeing it at all. Kinda sad. I see the same thing from a LOT of other people my age (~20). I feel like LOTR has sort of replaced Star Wars as the trillogy of choice. We all had read the books before and played D&D and other Tolkien spinoff stuff. Star Wars just has too much of a Toys R Us feel to really make me feel comfortable being a hardcore fan anymore. Still like the original movies though.

Geta-Ve
03-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks for posting. So far I like everything I have seen of Sith. I watched Episode 2 last night. Certainly not my favorite (Lucas and his cowriter made some poor dialogue decisions and I think we all know what scenes should have been on the cutting room floor), but they did have some sweet action set pieces didn't they? Obi and Bubba facing off in the rain...troopers marching through the dust storm...the rumble in the arena...Obi dodging sonic explosions in the asteroid field...all pretty cool IMO.

and there in lies one of its biggest faults.. every scene you mentioned was pretty much ALL cg.. and im willing to bet lucas didnt have alot to say about that.. :/

Or perhaps lucas is a great action director but a really really really crappy dialog director.. (well not perhaps, he really is crappy at dialog)

I dont like ANY of the emotional dialog in ep2, none, zip, zilch.. GL just cant do "emotion" and neither can most of the actors, the 2 main ones being Anny and Amadala :p horrid

ok ok ok sorry this is not a flame sw thread.. Ill tell you though, the only reason i see this movie succeeding is because of its action scenes.. if there really is one thing that SW has had a good bout of, is its action scenes.

other than that, SW is trying to take itself way too seriously

Terrell
03-04-2005, 06:46 AM
SW is trying to take itself way too seriously

Um, no. LOTR is the one that takes itself way too seriously. Watching the films and listening to it's fans, you'd think they were on a Shakespeare and Citizen Kane level. They aren't even close. Personally, I find LOTR films as boring and tedious to watch, as it is to read the books. Believe me, I tried to read them. To each their own though.

Nice trailer Roberto, but even as a mod, you're wasting your time posting anything Star Wars related in CGTalk. ;)

Geta-Ve
03-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I couldnt read the lotr books if you stapled them to my head... jrr just goes into too much detail about crap i dont care about..

as for sw, yes, the fans of sw i could argue are alot worse than lotr...have you not seen the triumph the dog episode where he made fun of all the fans that were lining up and they were acting out the movie and jedi weddings and jesus christ get a freakin life.... (so says the computer nerd :p)

Terrell
03-04-2005, 06:59 AM
as for sw, yes, the fans of sw i could argue are alot worse than lotr...have you not seen the triumph the dog episode where he made fun of all the fans that were lining up and they were acting out the movie and jedi weddings and jesus christ get a freakin life

The geekiest thing I ever saw was a bunch of LOTR fans dressed up as Gandalf, Aragorn, and orcs. When it comes to fanboys of one franchise call the fans of another franchise geeky, that's like the pot calling the kettle black. There's enough geekiness going around for both franchises. So much so that one need not call the other geeky.

Geta-Ve
03-04-2005, 07:02 AM
The geekiest thing I ever saw was a bunch of LOTR fans dressed up as Gandalf, Aragorn, and orcs. When it comes to fanboys of one franchise call the fans of another franchise geeky, that's like the pot calling the kettle black. There's enough geekiness going around for both franchises. So much so that one need not call the other geeky.

hahaha, so true :D

btw, i never did get that "the pot calling the kettle black" as my pots are silverish and my kettle is white and plastic and it plugs in to the wall... :p

malducin
03-04-2005, 07:15 AM
I think the demographic has changed a lot.

Maybe not that much. I'm willing to bet this has more to do with cross-promotion and negotiation between Lucasfilm and Fox (who distributes the film). Certainly tons of fans don't watch the OC at all. So you put the trailer in a popular show to drum up ratings (after all it goes against CSI), attract certain demos (younger viewers who might not be SW super-fans) and everyone is happy. Just the same as putting it infront of Robots. Or what does everybody think when the one for Ep. 2 was attached to Monsters Inc.?

and there in lies one of its biggest faults.. every scene you mentioned was pretty much ALL cg.. and im willing to bet lucas didnt have alot to say about that.. :/

Not at all. The arena itself was a miniature, while the pad in the rain fight was a real set. Anyway, actually like most good directors, Lucas lets the supervisors use the best technique for the shots, he is not a CG freak you know, and neither are the supervisors. I know of one one major instance where he did override everyone: the clone troopers, even though Knoll and Snow begged him to at least build a suit for reference. It's just a huge urban myth that the prequels are mostly CG just as much as LOTR was pretty much miniatures and forced persepective and the like.

SheepFactory
03-04-2005, 07:16 AM
I love that opening shot of the trailer with the ship flying in. Cant wait to see this movie to watch what ILM did. As far as the script\acting\etc goes i cant care less :)

samartin
03-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Far too early to judge if it will be like ep1 and 2, who knows this may be a film up to that of the originals... Noticed Chewey looks pretty cool and non-CG Woooooohooooo !!!

Kimotion
03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
All I care about is the CG and to see what makes Anakin go postal and become Darth Vader! I've been waiting a generation to see how this happens.

t-man152
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
have you not seen the triumph the dog episode where he made fun of all the fans that were lining up and they were acting out the movie and jedi weddings and jesus christ get a freakin life.... (so says the computer nerd :p)

I have seen that, that was hilarious I especially liked when a guy came dressed like that leonard nimoy character (Mr. Spock) and gave the star wars fan teh finger. I laughed so hard

KingMob
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
regardless of how good or bad th emovie is, I think we can all agree wookies are pretty keen.

pogonip
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Your right there brother... is the wookie homeworld still planned for this movie ?? Man I would love to see it ..it was pretty damn cool in KOTR .

I have not see one lame thing so far for this movie that would throw up a red flag such as a Jar Jar ...well other then yet another scene of Anakin having a " nightmare " ...dear lord the horror " mommy...ohh mommy no mommy ...mommy ... " :eek: :argh: :cry:

kromekat
03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
It's going to be awesome regardless! - too many critics and not enough people that enjoy entertaining cinema these days! - thankfully, I haven't grown up that much despite having been there when Star Wars first came out, so I know I'll still enjoy it personally :thumbsup:

Boone
03-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Can't wait! :bounce:

Kimotion
03-04-2005, 09:49 PM
HAHAHA,

How about the part when Triumph asked that pregnant SW fan if her child is gonna be a SW freak...and she said "of course." Triumph then said, "Well that would be the first and last time he will ever see a vagina!"

kmest
03-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Starwars was always GREAT and it will be.....i'm personaly waiting for this one ...and if i were in US,i would real love to see it on the first show;)

and the new fully cg general ROCKS

peanuckle
03-04-2005, 10:01 PM
HAHAHA,

How about the part when Triumph asked that pregnant SW fan if her child is gonna be a SW freak...and she said "of course." Triumph then said, "Well that would be the first and last time he will ever see a vagina!"

HAHAHA!

Thats funny!

I really don't care about the Star Wars story. I love watching the VFX. Also I really like Lightsabers. I want one. :)

Tanner

Matt
03-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Does anyone else think having "EPISODE I" "EPISODE II" is retarded? The old films just said like (lets see if the forum lets me type this right)...

STAR_____________
RETURN OF THE JEDI
____________WARS

That's much better than how they have the prequels. I hope later on they'll rename them all properly.

KikiKitty
03-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Um, no. LOTR is the one that takes itself way too seriously. Watching the films and listening to it's fans, you'd think they were on a Shakespeare and Citizen Kane level. They aren't even close. Personally, I find LOTR films as boring and tedious to watch, as it is to read the books. Believe me, I tried to read them. To each their own though.

Nice trailer Roberto, but even as a mod, you're wasting your time posting anything Star Wars related in CGTalk. ;)

It was a totally different time frame when the LOTR books were created. They had to be detailed when they wrote those books because there was nothing like it at the time. It had to be described. It is boring to most peolple now because everyone else has created off of their coat tails and don't need to be as descriptive anymore. It takes a true artist to be the first to imagine something and a master to be able to describe it so that others can see the world as clearly as they do. Also, people actually read back then instead of having their attention spans shortened by T.V., Internet and Video Games. Now people can't focus on anything past a few minutes without major action, extreme violence and lude sex scenes. Without character setup, you lose emotional impact. That's why we currently have crappy movies that come out with all of the CG stuff and no characters that anyone cares about (**cough: AVP-VanHelsing - LXG***).

Also, when the Narnia Chronicles hits theatres, you may still have a hard time because C.S. Lewis also pioneered those types of detailed characters that no one has ever thought of back then. It makes sense because J.R. Tolken and C.S. Lewis were best friends.

Freddy Froglok
03-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd agree with you, Kiki, except for one thing:

The pages and pages of the history of tobacco in Middle Earth in one of the Appendices.

Tolkein just wrote in a semi Victorian style, where everything was microdescribed. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just his style. Some people like Picasso, and some can't stand it. I personally got tired of reading stuff like ,"And Gimli felt afraid when they mentioned Fangorn, for Fangorn was an evil and dark place now, but Legolas sighed, for he remembered the olden days when Fangorn was not a dark and brooding place, but a wonderful cheerful place where they had the scholarly acknowledged best butter scones for tea in the time of Algalaieth, before the horrible betrayal at Karpalatothial, where Algalaieth lost his fair love Limilaaie as she jumped off the cliff into the white raging turmoil striken waters of the GLimfoozle Fords because she thought that he had fallen out of love with her after he had proclaimed himself her lifetimelong love in a great wonderful marraige ceremony the likes of which was never seen in Middle Earth, when in fact he was attempting to set up a marraige between his youngest son and the daughter of the leader of the plains humans, Fargooza the Mighty, known for slaying several bad actors and being a generally rude person to emissaries of Sauron, so that their marriage would result in a great and harmonious empire across a vast and wonderfully beautiful expanse of Middle Earth which would contain the only area where illaealsa, the little shrub with diamond shaped leaves and white and red flecked flowers which has no known use but is incredibly beautiful, grew; and as Legolas remembered this he looked and Gimli and related this, during which time Gimli fell asleep and snored so loudly that the pack horses were afrightened and nearly ran off, whereupon Legolas stopped his history lesson and woke Gimli up and said simply, "Fangorn isn't an evil place, u noob d0rf." "

Some people like reading stuff like that, and some grow so bored they start making paper airplanes out of each page when they finish reading it.

jussing
03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Does anyone else think having "EPISODE I" "EPISODE II" is retarded? The old films just said like (lets see if the forum lets me type this right)...

STAR_____________
RETURN OF THE JEDI
____________WARS

That's much better than how they have the prequels. I hope later on they'll rename them all properly.
I don't get your point..... the old movies have an episode number, and a title. The new movies have an episode number, and a title... What's the difference? Are you talking about poster layout? Personally I think more about the movie, than about how they write the title on the poster.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Boone
03-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Re: Matt.

Well, before the prequels showed up that was what the possible films were commonly known as - it was cool back then, why not now? :shrug:

Also, it helps to put the movies in chronological order. :)

twidup
03-05-2005, 11:07 PM
all I care about is that my tank droid made it into that trailer teaser ;)

cant wait to see how much of that shot they show on the actual trailer ;)

oh, and that wookie, it isnt chewie, its a different one...notice the dreadlocks.

KikiKitty
03-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Some people like reading stuff like that, and some grow so bored they start making paper airplanes out of each page when they finish reading it.

I can understand your point but that's also my point as well. How would you live in a time where there weren't any of the present day forms of entertainment? You would live and imagine through a book and as a result would NOT get bored like that when reading...you would simply get even more into the story - and wouldnt mind the long descriptives of the story's culture, characters and environment.

Again, thats my point - Even if there were people back then that thought it was too lengthy - Like I said it takes a true artist and master to relay the picture so that others can live in the newly created/imagined world.

You wanna read boring for the even for the victorian era? read ANYTHING by Jane Austin. One person who was outside of his time was Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray) that is one of my favorite books.

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 11:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.