PDA

View Full Version : Glass

illuxon
09-19-2002, 03:19 PM
my project requires a exhibit shown in a museum. now the exhibit is housed inside a glass box as most exhibits in museums are. my prob is that i'm not too good with textures and cant seem to find a good texture for the clear glass box. can somebody guide me towards a good glass texture or a good glass texture tutorial.

Tamseel Alvi

leigh
09-20-2002, 08:31 AM
What software are you using?
I'll find you a tutorial...

illuxon
09-20-2002, 07:28 PM
i'm using max 4.2. but that shudnt make a difference i'm looking for a more general glass tut. something like what properties a glass surface has that makes it look like glass. i can handle the software part. the observation part seems to be difficult.

dark_lotus
09-21-2002, 02:09 PM
Light Refeltivity and Transparency Properties
(ie: The Fresnel (pron. Fra nell) Effect)

As the eye looks at a glass sphere (for example), from a viewing angle of 0 degrees, the light passes straight through.

As the angle increases to 90 degress, transparency is less and reflectivity is more.

The Fresnel Effect appears in things such as glass and water.

Hope that helps.

dark_lotus

derwolpertinger
09-22-2002, 03:42 AM
also if it should be a solid glass make sure too get rid of the reflections on the back faces of the polygons. that makes it look more solid. unfortunately i don't know how to do that in max cause i use cinema 4d. other than that add a slight noise in the specular and reflectivity channel. that is often forgotten but adds a lot of realism to the glass.and a fair bit of bump is often required cause a glass does never have a perfect surface.

dark_lotus
09-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Yeah you might want to also note that refraction also gets blurred as well as reflection.

dark_lotus
09-23-2002, 08:40 PM
If you have lightwave you can download the texture that is described above - it also includes a bump, for that extra bit of realism.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.