PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Nonproductive
09-19-2002, 02:03 PM
I am just learning Lightwave. I've used wings and animation master but decided I wanted to step up to a "real" 3D app.

soooooo...

I did my typical "jump in and see what happens" thing and have tried using all the main tools in Modeler. However, I am ready to dig into a book and learn the more subtle things. (Like where you click your mouse for tools like bend or rotate determines the point of origin - that cost me several clumps of yanked out hair...)

My question is: Which book?

I have Inside LW 7 and the LW 7 manual in front of me - which one would be better to go through 1st?

Or. alternately, can anyone suggest a better method of learning the nuances of LW?

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 02:27 PM
actually, as far as where you click with your mouse determining the center of rotation, scale, etc., you can change that. at the bottom of the interface, next to the selection modes (Points, Polygons, etc.), is a button named Modes, and it is a drop-down menu that includes the following 4 items:

Action center: Mouse (centered on where you click)
Action center: Origin (centered on absolute origin)
Action center: Pivot (centered on that layer's Pivot Point)
Action center: Selection (centered on the calculated center of everything selected, especially useful for rotating at the center of a symmetrical selection)

i would suggest reading the first few chapters of both that deal only with specific general components of the program. Layout, Modeler, Surface Editor, etc.

i went through most of ILW7 first, but i'm now reading the manual and have learned a few new things. ILW7 works more on the tutorial level, while the manual is for reference.

Nonproductive
09-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Thank you LyonHaert!

The mode menu was something I clicked accidentally one day. Had I RTFM first - I would still have a full head of hair :)

My biggest problem with getting my "education" started is that I read about something and then I want to go play with the tool or function. That, of course, leads to several lost hours and then I repeat the cycle...

Eventually, I may actually model something completely!

JVitale
09-20-2002, 06:26 AM
This is where I got 90% of my LightWave Education

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

takkun
09-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Also, if you want a nice jumpstart, you should try the Desktop Images training videos or the Class on Demand training videos. I've got the Desktop Images DVDs and they have a lot of great tricks and tips and get you up and running fairly quickly. The Class on Demand videos also look very good (though I've never watched any of them), especially the new character rigging video that they are coming out with soon.

If you can't afford the training videos then I would recommend going through Inside LW7 first, while using the manual to answer specific questions you might have as you go along. Take the manual everywhere you go and browse through it whenever you get a chance. Then move on to other books, I've heard that the LW 6.5/7 Applied and LW 7 character animation by Timoty Albee are very good.

I'm in the process of learning lightwave too and this is pretty much the route that I'm taking. Hope this helps...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.