PDA

View Full Version : IBM Software Performs 'Blue Screen Of Death' Rescues

kilikili
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
What they said:

"What if I could show you a magic trick that could make the Blue Screen of Death disappear?" Welch said on stage with a ThinkPad that prominently displayed that condition. "Returning us to productivity is what makes this little device really rock," he said, holding up his personal Apple iPod with the software installed on it. The compact IBM Rescue & Recovery On Linux enabled him to instantly access e-mail, Lotus Notes and all the data on his hard drive.

The product could rebuild a hard drive in an hour or provide instant access to data, according to Welch. "One-touch IBM Rescue & Recovery On Linux all wrapped up in a portable media device under $300," he said. "Priceless. That is music to my ears."

More >>> (http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60404809)

-Kilikili

Dearmad
03-04-2005, 05:24 AM
What's truly priceless is, yes, making $$ out of the BSOD... now M$ has some motivation to fix things even tighter so they can run these guys out of bidness.

Hugh
03-04-2005, 09:34 AM
And there was me (seriously) thinking that IBM was moving into VFX software land with some amazing new keying tool...

I was trying to do a key off a 'blue screen of death', and it was not a fun process.... (3 different shades of blue on different screens, HUGE amounts of grain, and fine detail that needed to be kept that was the same colour as the dark bits of grain...

Ah well...

Q_B
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
LOL!

Garbage masks, my friend, garbage masks...

Hugh
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
That wasn't where the problem lay.... It was where the edges of the guy I was keying met the edge where the two blue-screens met that gave me the most fun...

Ah well - we're way off (the intended) topic here....

Beamtracer
03-04-2005, 10:58 AM
So if you've got a PC running Microsoft Windows that collapses and is rendered inoperable by the dreaded Blue Screen Of Death, then you use this IBM rescue software which launches off an iPod and fixes the paralyzed PC.

Windows users should be grateful that there are 3rd party products that will rescue them from these disasters.

Q_B
03-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Oh well, pardon my manifest ignorance, but is this BSoD a diferent type of BS that i've never encontered? I mean, one that truly breaks the OS AND ruins the disk data?

Cos the ones i've encountered so far can always be solved, one way or the other, without even remotely thinking in data loss!

For starters, there's a Safe Mode in Windows that normally solves the thing. Go in SM, solve the malfunction, reset and enter normally.

Anyways, even if the BS was due to a total colapse of the OS, can't you just snatch out the hard drive and use another computer to retrieve the data? I mean, that's what i do when, lets say, i want to format my disk...

Can anyone please enlighten me? Thanx.

edit: In my experience so far, unless you really scr*w the system big time, the kind of info that's been advertised to recover with the IBM iPod gymmick (e-mail, Lotus notes, etc), is just simply accessable entering in safe mode... meaning: a total no-tech completely info uneducated person with just a little understanding and inteligence can enter in safe mode... it's not that of a tech thing...

splintah
03-04-2005, 12:31 PM
wow ipodlinux (http://www.ipodlinux.org) goes official ! ! ! !
on top of that by the no1 apple partner

thats really cool

and windows has always been a job generator
without windows thousands of sysadmins would loose their work ! !
and dozents of brands dedicated to make that thing run again wouldn´t be able to make money

btw: did you know the cell proz (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050207-4594.html) may be the new g6 ?
:D

Q_B
03-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Beamtracer: Have you ever seen "a PC running Microsoft Windows that collapses and is rendered inoperable by the dreaded Blue Screen Of Death"? I mean truly inoperable? Like damaged disk? (not damaged OS, damaged DISK - caused by the OS)

The question is honest, not intended to disagree, really just trying to understand what is really being talked about here.

Damaged disk? Or damaged OS? And if the disk is damaged, is it by the OS malfunctioning?
And exactly what does "damaged" means? Unreadable?

I'm really trying to understand this, perhaps i'm underevaluating the issue, but it seems such a confusion of things... blue screens, damaged disks, disk recovery, what does it has to do with the BS (and the OS) ...

Thanx again.

mummey
03-04-2005, 03:28 PM
I'll laugh when IBM patent's the rescue from the BSoD. :D

Q_B
03-04-2005, 04:31 PM
How can they patent a generic thing that, frankly, is being done for so long and in several diferent ways?

It's not like they invented the wheel or something... it looks like it's a re-packaged , ready to plug-and-go wheel, but a wheel nonetheless ... oh and it'll work fine in an USB boot enabled machine, all the others forget it ...

Anyways, this thing has really nothing to do with Blue Screens, neither with iPods for that matter ... it appears to be a boot external device on Linux runing a disk recovery software...

It would be good maibe for a fatal disk operation caused by the OS, wich i frankly never encountered in my 10+ years of professionally dealing with PCs.

You see, the OS can brake (and not just WinXP, ya know ...), but you can recover it with the installation disk ... if the OS brakes it won't destroy your data.

As for the Blue Screens, they're normally not OS faillures, most of the times the user did something to break it (bad drivers, bad software, etc etc)

I can already see a Blue Screen "of Death" caused by some video driver messup, and the "Hey i have the final solution to ''the'' Blue Screen of Death" right here ... cost me some bucks but hey ... just plug my stylish iPod ... here ya go ... wait ... what? Reconstructing my hard-drive? oh man this is worst than i thought ..." ...

Could be usefull, like ... once in a lifetime ... maibe ...

noisewar
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Oh well, pardon my manifest ignorance, but is this BSoD a diferent type of BS that i've never encontered? I mean, one that truly breaks the OS AND ruins the disk data?

No, it's the same ol' BS. ;)

Q_B
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Alrighty then ... so hype it is ...

unseenthings
03-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, there can be a BSOD that trashes the disk... particularly if it's writing to the disk when the crash happens. I've had it happen before. I went in with a sector editor and found that it overwrote the disk catalog (aka the FAT tables) that showed where on the drive all files were stored... the files were still there, but the catalog/index table was trashed (most of it, anyway) -- so it's not an entirely unreasonable scenario.

If it's a "bootable from ipod disk recovery system", it may also work in instances where there wasn't a BSOD but the file system was somehow damaged (not the drive itself, of course).

I won't buy it, but I'm sure lots of people will. :)

jbo
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
man, am i the only one that never gets the bluescreen of death? I think I got it once or twice back in the Win95 days, but I use computers all day, and I've never got it on XP. What are you people doing to your computers?

Vertizor
03-07-2005, 08:48 PM
I am SORELY disappointed. I actually thought they came up with a solution to restart the Windows kernel without having to do a full restart.

Oh yippee, repair the HD in about an hour. How's that better than what we were doing before?

Access my data right away? Awesome! But that doesn't help me get back to work now does it? I need that computer up and running and actually use it!

It's obviously marketed towards non-technical people who cringe at the sight of a BSOD and wish for a solution they can buy to make it go away.

sheesh! unbelievable.

BillSpradlin
03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
"and I've never got it on XP."

That's because when WinXP encounters a fatal error (formerlly BSOD) it just reboots the computer instantly, instead of throwing the BSOD up.

jbo
03-07-2005, 10:06 PM

That's because when WinXP encounters a fatal error (formerlly BSOD) it just reboots the computer instantly, instead of throwing the BSOD up.

ah. but that's also something that never happens to me. it used to when i had cheap ram, but not anymore ever. not that i don't have other problems on xp, but that's not one of them.

Q_B
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM

I'm sorry to say, but that's quite false. It gives you BSs when fatal errors occur, i assure you. At least memory-caused errors. I could say i'd take a pick, but ... well, just google for BSOD XP and you'll get a great deal of hits.

Anyways, one thing's for sure: If the system is all setup properly, it won't just BSOD for no reason. It's like jbo says, it just isn't that frequent if you don't mess with the system much. Or it can be some physical problem (RAM, disk, etc...) but in that case you won't be in a worst position just because you have XP instead of other OS.

Vertizor
03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Video drivers, if they cause a page fault the system will halt completely without auto reboot. Also, if someone got careless and disable the auto-reboot, doesn't sound likely but it's a variable. This is why I think the way Windows handles device drivers really sucks. In *nix OSes using X windows, if something goes bad you can kill X windows and restart your GUI desktop. The system itself remains safe.

Q_B
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh man yeah how many times did i "Killall Jaleo" in the IRIX ehehehe

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.