PDA

View Full Version : AE lighting question

Gav508
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with an AE question?
I've just started getting into the package and am finding it very nice, i have done some basic tutorials - but wondering about more advanced stuff now.

Can anyone help me figure out how this kind of effect is done?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Gavin508/PDVD_000.jpg

The radial light that sits at the top, over the animation and background?

can anyone give me nudge in the right direction?

regards

Ian Jones
03-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Well, in the cg world its known as 'volume light' but it basically is just the effect of particular matter like dust suspended in the air which catches light and shows you the light beams. I can't make a specific suggestion atm, because from the still frame its hard to tell exactly how detailed the effect is without seeing the animation. It really depends on the camera movement and perspective changes aswell, because if its complex then I'm not sure how to do it in AFX easily. Otherwise you could just try creating soft blurred shapes in photoshop then importing them, dropping them over the top and setting the blending mode to something like 'screen' or 'add' and animating the angle changing as the camera moves.

Dutchman
03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
I think that 'll be a white solid layer, that is being masked, en that has a high feather... And that all on top of the animation layer :) That's just one of the basics of AE :)

More questions?

:bounce:

lasvideo
03-04-2005, 02:57 PM
You could also use Lux, the volumentric plugin from Trapcode and aim it into the lens of a camera.

davpunk
03-09-2005, 11:02 PM
it also depends on if the character "cuts" into the light and casts shadows. Its volumetric lighting. By looking at this, it can easily be a layer that was created in photoshop with transparency. It could be a feathered mask like what was said before.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2005, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.