PDA

View Full Version : ASSEMBLING "ROBOTS" Special (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX Friday, March 4th

PokeChop
03-03-2005, 05:43 PM
ASSEMBLING "ROBOTS" Special (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX Friday, March 4th

Released by FOX VIEWERS INVITED TO REPAIR FOR ADVENTURE WITH SQUEAK PEEK AT RIVETING FILM "ROBOTS" FRIDAY, MARCH 4, ON FOX

Original Special ASSEMBLING "ROBOTS": THE MAGIC, THE MUSIC AND THE COMEDY Features Behind-the-Scenes Footage of Upcoming 20th Century Fox Film

Learn how the visually spectacular world of whimsical "Robots" was created during an all-new special, ASSEMBLING "ROBOTS": THE MAGIC, THE MUSIC AND THE COMEDY, premiering Friday, March 4 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

From the Creators of "Ice Age" comes a behind-the-scenes special on this year's biggest animated event. Featuring a fascinating look at the computer animation process for the much-anticipated film "Robots," the half-hour show also offers commentary from the filmmakers who bring these machines to life and an exclusive first look at an extended scene from the movie. ASSEMBLING "ROBOTS" is complete with intriguing interviews with the all-star, award-winning cast and the world-premiere of the "Robots" music video from the 20th Century Fox film, in theaters March 11.

In the feature film "Robots," Rodney Copperbottom (Ewan McGregor) is considered a genius inventor in a world populated entirely by mechanical beings. A small town robot, Rodney dreams of two things: making the world a better place and meeting his idol, the master inventor Bigweld (Mel Brooks). Rodney embarks on a journey to Robot City and along the way he encounters a variety of characters, including Cappy (Halle Berry), a beautiful executive `bot with whom Rodney is instantly smitten; the nefarious corporate tyrant, Ratchet (Greg Kinnear), who locks horns with Rodney; and a group of misfit `bots known as the Rusties, led by Fender (Robin Williams) and Piper Pinwheeler (Amanda Bynes).

Signal2Noise
03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the head's up! I'm going to record that one. :thumbsup:

peanuckle
03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Set Tivo to keeps it eye out! Thanks for the news!

Tanner

RockinAkin
03-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up.
I hope they show some in-depth 3D stuff, but i'm not holding my breath...
But I still cant wait to see this in theaters.

Bartek|3D
03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Awesome, recording it too :).
Can't wait for the movie, i love IceAge!

bcairns
03-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Woot! I just finished watching this. It was pretty cool. They showed some clips I hadn't seen before, and a little bit of behind the scenes stuff, like previs, storyboards, concept art...nothing really in-depth though, but what do you expect from network television? I really can't wait to see this though. Only one more week! :)

Signal2Noise
03-05-2005, 04:01 AM
It was a good little segment. I can't wait to see this film on the big screen. I didn't realize all those personalities were voices for Robots. I knew about Ewan McGregor and Robin Williams but I was pleasantly surprised to see Halle Berry (redeeming herself for Cat Woman), Drew Carey, Mel Brooks, etc.

This "behind the scenes" special reminded me of the bygone days of documentary 'making of' shows. Especially Star Wars. Watching the part on sound effects in Robots made me think of when I first watched the making of SW Episode IV and how the lightsabre sounds were made. Although CGI is considered hi-tech there are still some old-school elements in film making.

Now that we finally have something to compare with Blue Sky's previous movie I definitely noticed a recurring element that I think will be their trademark. The rendering. There is something about Blue Sky's rendering that makes the films really stand out. Everything is vibrant and crisp with a tad of surrealism about it. I was blown away with the water effects in Ice Age. In Robote it is the textures and lighting that really caught my eye. Blue Sky will be giving PIXAR a good run for their money with Robots.

PokeChop
03-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Terry Bradshaw as a busted up robot! I'm soooooooooo there on the 11th! Bless you Blue Sky!

schroder
03-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Wow did that show blow. They were like well first we sketch everything then we previz and then theres a rendering process and bam a movie!!
Whatever...
I hope the DVD actually has some detail on the making of.

Apoclypse
03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I agree, I think blue sky's rendering is what sets them apart from other companies. In fact the short they had with the ratand the fly( forgot the name) was a huge achievement in rendering being as I think that it was rendered using GI, I might be wrong but I know it had something to do with the rendering. Ice age also featured quite a bit opf GI in it, which is why it had this clay like look to it. I didn't particularly like it but it was interesting nonetheless. Robots on the other hand I knew was incredible becuase those renders look amazing. I think PIXAR better watch out in terms of visual quality cuase this is the only other studio that I know that can rival PIXAR in terms of visual quality, even PDI which I used to think was superior in terms of rendering quality in their movies hasn't been as good as pixar as of late. Its great to see the NY repping.

Daniel-B
03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Blue Sky doesn't do VFX anymore, do they? That's really a shame, because they rock.

Shaderhacker
03-06-2005, 02:22 AM
I agree, I think blue sky's rendering is what sets them apart from other companies. In fact the short they had with the ratand the fly( forgot the name) was a huge achievement in rendering being as I think that it was rendered using GI, I might be wrong but I know it had something to do with the rendering. Ice age also featured quite a bit opf GI in it, which is why it had this clay like look to it. I didn't particularly like it but it was interesting nonetheless. Robots on the other hand I knew was incredible becuase those renders look amazing. I think PIXAR better watch out in terms of visual quality cuase this is the only other studio that I know that can rival PIXAR in terms of visual quality, even PDI which I used to think was superior in terms of rendering quality in their movies hasn't been as good as pixar as of late. Its great to see the NY repping.

I agree. I think that Robots will take the cake this year!

Can't wait to see it on Saturday. Please post thoughts of the movie when you guys see it.

Cheers,

-M

Bartek|3D
03-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey does anyone have this recorded as a digital file? I'd love to play it back again on my PC. If anyone can help, please PM me ;)!

RockinAkin
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah, kudos to the lighting team of the movie... it really does stand out as something unique and very eye grabbing.

Icarus
03-07-2005, 12:34 PM
bah, nothing for aus :'(

tjnyc
03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Rendering with CGI Studio is based on physicaly accurate lighting and materials.

Blue Sky doesn't do VFX anymore, they let that dept and most of those people go once they move over to doing strictly animated feature film. However, some of them moved on to open other studios, like I think Charlex and Hornet in the NYC.

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.