PDA

View Full Version : TV show to find latest 'Artstar'

Spater
03-03-2005, 06:07 PM
NEW YORK - After tackling the music, film and fashion industries, the reality TV craze is closing in on the visual art world.

Production began this week on the pilot for Artstar, which organizers are billing as "the first-ever unscripted television series set in the New York art world."

An open call for contestants Monday drew hundreds of artists lugging everything from canvases to sculptures to TVs to show their video works to SoHo gallery Deitch Projects.

All this week, creators of the series including gallery owner Jeffrey Deitch and Abby Terkuhle, the former president of MTV Animation were in the process of whittling the masses of installation, performance and video artists, photographers, painters and illustrators down to eight contestants.

Over the course of the proposed eight-episode series, the chosen artists must work together on a collaborative exhibition, with their efforts periodically analyzed and critiqued by collectors, curators, art critics and other artists.

Aside from the possibility of scathing criticism, however, the creators of the show say they will not employ such reality TV standards as forcing the contestants to live together or asking them to perform artistic stunts or challenges.

The winner will land his or her own solo show at Deitch Projects, which has shown exhibits by such leading contemporary artists as Mariko Mori and Jeff Koons.

The project has yet to be picked up by a major network.

>>Link<< (http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/03/03/Arts/artrealityTV050303.html)

Unled
03-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Interesting.

I've always wanted to see a show similar to American Chopper that focused on a creative team developing a video game or fully CG movie. I guess there's a lot of problems with this as far as non disclosure agreements and such are common in the games industry. But it'd still make for a cool show in my opinion.

jackburton
03-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah, a reality show based on a vfx studio in production would be interesting to me and a couple others maybe. You'd need to find a studio that would fit the bill though, someplace with strong personalities and interesting interpersonal conflicts. Jackdeth, you listening:rolleyes:?

heavyness
03-03-2005, 09:30 PM
could be good if the producers don't stack the talent with typical reality tv stars. you know, the bossy beautiful women, the crazy young guy, the timid cute girl who gets drunk and sleazy, and the horny male athlete.

Lunatique
03-04-2005, 03:52 AM
I sincerely hope the producers won't find those people who are more concerned with looking and acting like an artist than actually being an artist. You guys all know the type--they are so concerned about how they dress, their hair color, drink latte all day, spew a bunch of pseudo-intellectual nonsense, and when it come down to the moment of truth, none of them can draw or paint their way out of a paper bag. Oh, and all of them do either abstract expressionism, or conceptual art (not to be confused with concept art, which is designing stuff for films, games..etc).

Dearmad
03-04-2005, 05:22 AM
It's television. Why would you bother to "sincerely hope" anything of the kind? :rolleyes:

My only question is this: how much nudity will they now get away with in the name of "art?" Talk about a ratings cash cow for broadcast tv.

And to NOT make artists live together, pose artistic challenges to them and stunts is to miss a TRUE opportunity. Art under pressure is far more interesting!

Frank Lake
03-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Actually it'd be more interesting to see a show on "A month in the life of an EA artist.". ;)

Now that would be funny. Managers running around trying not to make people work harder so they can make unrealistic deadlines all while the cameras roll. :scream:

PaulGanguly
03-04-2005, 06:07 AM
I sincerely hope the producers won't find those people who are more concerned with looking and acting like an artist than actually being an artist. You guys all know the type--they are so concerned about how they dress, their hair color, drink latte all day, spew a bunch of pseudo-intellectual nonsense, and when it come down to the moment of truth, none of them can draw or paint their way out of a paper bag. Oh, and all of them do either abstract expressionism, or conceptual art (not to be confused with concept art, which is designing stuff for films, games..etc).I believe that this is most likely going to be the case, with the exception of the token urban, cheesy graffitti artist, who's supposed to pretend like he gives a damn about the whole thing.

Let's face it, the practitioners of realism don't tend to be among those who fit the bill of what much of the reality tv watching populus wants to be told is 'artsy'.

I honestly don't think there's a market for this beyond the few episodes that seem to be in planning, because the only people who seem to really want to know how art is made don't find out on tv. They find out at school, and ask questions here and there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2005, 06:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.