PDA

View Full Version : Intel shows off Mac Mini-like concept PC

RobertoOrtiz
03-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Quote:
"As part of a speech at the Intel Developer Forum (http://news.com.com/Intel+forum+Going+after+the+flash+card+memory+market/2009-1001_3-5593452.html?tag=nl) here, Vice President Don MacDonald demonstrated several concept PCs, including the Sleek Concept Entertainment PC--a square, metallic-colored device that was immediately reminiscent of the desktop computer Apple Computer introduced earlier this year (http://news.com.com/Apple+unveils+499+PC/2100-7354_3-5532008.html?tag=nl). "

>>Link<< (http://news.com.com/Intel+shows+off+Mac+Mini-like+concept+PC/2100-1041_3-5596629.html)
-R

ThommyBoy
03-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Mini Pc's are very very cool, though my Mac friend's think Mr. Job's was first on the block. This site [linked below] has had a bunch of models for years.

Cheers, THOM

LINK: http://www.logisysus.com/

balistic
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I recall Hash doing demos at Siggraph 2000 with a pocket-sized 700 MHz machine . . . I think it was a Korean make. Was a pretty neat (though undoubtedly expensive) bit of tech.

Beamtracer
03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/indextop20050111.jpg (http://www.apple.com/macmini/)
Original Mini Mac

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/photo/intelmini2_500x354.jpg
Intel/Microsoft copy

What? Intel and Microsoft are trying to copy the Apple Macintosh? No! They would never do that would they???

Velk
03-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Ha ha! "Concept" (A.K.A. it doesn't work yet, but we have a pretty box) PCs? That's priceless, why not just release one to the public. Either that or shut up. This is like some guy named Don making a car and Henry Ford coming out with a concept car, 3 months later...

ThommyBoy
03-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Beamtracer,
Slow down turbo! The mac Mini was a response to low priced PC's as Apple had no low end entry level product at the time. But do remember, the mini PC's were first...Sorry :o(

Cheers, THOM

JDex
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
And a new front in the platform war... begins.

Velk
03-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Thommy - you got right. The really funny thing is the design, the Mac clearly had the silver rounded box idea and Intel's "design team" then introduced the same thing (oops they etched some lines on it).

This is not a new phenomenon, when Mac came out with the iPod they were late to the game and now everyone is trying to copy their look and functionality.

mushroomgod
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
regardless of power, the mac realy looks the part....the pc on the otherhand just looks cheep.

Para
03-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Beamtracer,
Slow down turbo! The mac Mini was a response to low priced PC's as Apple had no low end entry level product at the time. But do remember, the mini PC's were first...Sorry :o(

Cheers, THOM

Yep. And for size, just think of all those Shuttles, X form factor PC:s and all small PC using the mini-ITX standard...those were available for reasonable price several years ago.

...the Intel concept mini-PC looks really ugly though when compared to minimac...which I think looks ugly too (I'd never decorate with white!). Oh well, seems like this isn't something that's meant for me.

Alan Daniels
03-03-2005, 08:12 PM
...the Intel concept mini-PC looks really ugly though when compared to minimac...which I think looks ugly too (I'd never decorate with white!).

Well, the mini-mac has a certain stark quality too it, kind of like what I'd imagine a "computer of the future" to look like, for lack of a better description. The Intel rip-off, on the other hand, looks like a locker-room floor tile.

L.Rawlins
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
So if you create something thats white and plastic it looks the part?... Pllllleeeeaaasssseee.

Mini-Cube (Shuttle) PC's have been around for years.

And given that Microsoft and Intel tend to have nothing to do with the whole 'making stuff look pretty' part of computing, its hardly surprising that the styling of the casing is lacklustre.

Apple has spent years making stuff look pretty. They have it down to a bland, predictable, art.

This is where the whole form/function debate kicks in.

Which to you is more important? I know what I pay my money for.

percydaman
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
well in all fairness, flip the products, take the apple, shoot it in poor light in the same environment and it wouldn't look as nice. Inversely, take the intel thing and shoot it in a nicely light studio environment and I think it would be a different story....

well maybe it would.... :)

mushroomgod
03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Apple has spent years making stuff look pretty. They have it down to a bland, predictable, art.

Intell has spent years making stuff dull and cheep. They have it down to a bland, predictable, art

L.Rawlins
03-03-2005, 08:29 PM
I hope that at some point Apple come to the realisation that a second mouse button and scroll wheel wasn't just a fad.

:D

mushroomgod
03-03-2005, 08:33 PM
I hope that at some point Apple come to the realisation that a second mouse button and scroll wheel wasn't just a fad.

whats that got to do with anything?

Beamtracer
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM

Actually, the Mini Mac doesn't come with a mouse. You choose your own mouse and connect it. So you can connect a 5 button Logitech mouse, if that's what you want.

The Intel rip-off, on the other hand, looks like a locker-room floor tile.Hehehe. That's funny. It does look a bit like that.

Actually, Intel's one looks to me like a school lunch box. You'd think that Intel, with all its massive profits and wealth, would be able to employ decent designers.

Marc Andreoli
03-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I am not sure I would compare these mini's to, say, shuttle. These new computers are much smaller and QUIET (the mac at least).

DZL
03-03-2005, 09:08 PM
whats that got to do with anything?

what has this thread got to do with anything?... you've been debating how a computer looks, for shats sake.

AnimBot
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I need something for travel and I was looking at this.
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/cappuccino.asp

If you need a really portable PC though there's always this.
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/espressopc.asp

Currently I'm using one of these at work though.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/gallery/fragbox/fb206.jpg

mushroomgod
03-03-2005, 09:14 PM
what has this thread got to do with anything?... you've been debating how a computer looks, for shats sake.

very true.........but i dont think theres anything wrong with that

halo
03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
very true.........but i dont think theres anything wrong with that

no...in fact i couldnt give a rats arse what the computers in my studio look like (although how they sound bothers me, and the heat off all the xeons is going to be fun in the summer :surprised ) Under the bonnet is what i care about, and past that i'm too busy to really care.

in my living room i do however, and i dont think theres anything in the PC field that looks like it would go in it or i would want in it bar a laptop...even most of those miniPC's are like a chav's boyed up halfords seat ibiza, cheap and very nasty...shame this latest offering from wintel hasn't sussed the asthetic yet. Unfortunately taste is still something of a novelty to a large proportion of the tech market...even a lot of the japanese stuff has to have to have 500 flashing lights and a kareoke option on everything and the US stuff just doesnt make it past a hummer type feel....but horses for courses. Lets face it, apple are about the only company that actually have any success in designing the outside of their products enough for people to see that as a reason to buy them...its an option you dont have to buy into though...but if you think your gear looks a bit like a tractor in comparison, perhaps you subconciously have done.

I'm sure in a few decades the PC geek styling and fantasy scifi art thing will have a kitch retro cool glow to it, like elvis impersonators and flares...but hopefully it will just die like bad 70's prog rock band album covers.

It would be nice if both of these companies actually gave us a product that looked nice and delivered the same innovation on the inside...

L.Rawlins
03-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Form/Function. Like I said.

My beige metal box may sound like a tractor but it does what it does well.

*Pats casing*

pgp_protector
03-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Bummer No longer avalable :(
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/Media/images/pocket_pc_full.gif

js33
03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Well the main difference between a Mac-mini and a PC-mini, looks aside, is the Mac is using old technology and the PC will have the latest current technology.

Cheers,
JS

Velk
03-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Ok, lets look at the facts here:

PCs have had small form computers for a long time
Mac came out with this design and new small size 3 months ago (plus it runs)
Intel cames out with a very similar looking design (that does't run)
Where does it leave us? Right where we started http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wise.gif The reality is that even the Shuttle PCs are much taller than the Mac Mini (roughly 6x taller) so comparing the two is a little out there.

What will be very interesting to me is not the fact that the outside design looks so similar (though it is funny) but how they build out the guts of this machine(assuming that they actually do built it). How will they solve cooling issues etc...

EDIT: Ok I did leave off the part about OQO (http://www.oqo.com) which has a remarkably small PC.

L.Rawlins
03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't understand the neccesity for such a small PC. (I also probably can't spell 'neccesity'...) They're usually pretty tame spec. wise and the smaller something is the more expensive it tends to be (To make and purchase). Take laptops for example. A decent spec. laptop is usually significantly more expensive than its desktop counterpart.

Now if this is designed to be a 'lounge' PC that will 'look good' in your living room why don't they just cut the crap and put the components straight into the TV. Those things are because of their purpose larger sized (leaving plenty of room for your CPU gubbins...) and what with the current built-in DVD drives, why are they cramming this stuff into ashtrays when they could just whack it in the television?

You could probably get away with using the current bulk technology instead of spending your money 'shrinking' everything too.

Atleast that's my thought.

Beamtracer
03-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Well the main difference between a Mac-mini and a PC-mini, looks aside, is the Mac is using old technology and the PC will have the latest current technology.
Ahhh, hahahahaha! You make me laugh, js!

Let me guess... the fantastic new technology that you say the PC-mini has is.... (wait for it)... Microsoft Windows! Hey, it runs lots of new software too! The only trouble is that most of the new software it acquires will come in the form of viruses.

Jhonus
03-04-2005, 01:07 AM
sorry to all of you, but hoojum has been making what i think are the most consistently stylish mini pc's for a while. Although they are handmade and incredibly expensive

www.hoojum.com (http://www.hoojum.com)

Velk
03-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Whoa those are nice looking, I especially like the nanode which is yet to be released. Thanks for the link!

js33
03-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Ahhh, hahahahaha! You make me laugh, js!

Let me guess... the fantastic new technology that you say the PC-mini has is.... (wait for it)... Microsoft Windows! Hey, it runs lots of new software too! The only trouble is that most of the new software it acquires will come in the form of viruses.

Hehehehehe. I mean the simple fact that the Macmini is using the outdated G4 processor instead of their newer G5 and the PC mini will probably have a 3.2 Ghz P4 or better or even a new dual core 64 bit processor. I mean how long is Apple gonna milk the G4 and make all the laptop and macmini users use old technology.

Oh Beam the virus thing is really overblown. As long as you have a good scanner there is no problem.

Cheers,
JS

silvergun
03-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Doesnt matter JS, you can have the speed but you will still be running Windows XP.

Beamtracer
03-04-2005, 03:32 AM
the PC mini will probably have a 3.2 Ghz P4 or better or even a new dual core 64 bit processorPC mini will have a dual core processor? I hardly think so. I don't think Intel has even released a dual core processor for consumer machines.

I mean how long is Apple gonna milk the G4 and make all the laptop and macmini users use old technology. The Mac Mini has a G4 instead of a G5 processor because it is cheap. It's an entry level machine. If you want a G5 you have to pay more for a workstation.

At US $499, the Mac Mini is a great little box.

Oh Beam the virus thing is really overblown.
I think the virus thing is a massive problem for Microsoft Windows PCs. OK, people reading this forum are probably more techno-savvy than the average person, so they know how to avoid viruses.

But for the average mom & dad and Joe Blow it really is a problem. I've known a few non-technical people who have bought Windows PCs, got a virus, PC doesn't work, so they've put it in the wardrobe where it remains for years. Laugh you may, but it happens a lot.

halo
03-04-2005, 09:06 AM
js33...the reason the mini mac has a g4 in it is because the g5 wouldnt fit in that space, just like a xeon wouldnt....all because both need a huge amount of cooling.

Beamtracer
03-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't see why a computer (or any other product for that matter) shouldn't look good, as well as function practically.

The Mac Mini is small. Really small. I've not seen any other PC fit into such a small form factor. It's also very practical. You can lift it with one hand, or stack them on top of each other.

It feels good to buy a product that is styled by the top designers.

splintah
03-04-2005, 12:07 PM
oh man the mac mini is just such a beauty

i really think a pc can be a piece of art

other people buy expensive paintings, they get big statues to put them somewhere in the room
they get expensive couches to sit on
so why in the world shouldn´t we also care for the beauty of what we sit in front of so many hours a day and what we use extensively (is that the right word ?)

but the cubit is really nice too

think about a stylish desk (i am thinking about a real old dark wooden one) with a mac mini a 23 inch monitor from apple and white wireless apple desktop
and those soundsticks
or the pro speakers
or the ones from altec leansing looking so good with the cinema display

man thats worth more for me than a painting

durbdk
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
In any industry, you have firms developing similar products; even in the movies. One film comes out, then other sabout the same topic invariably follow. My point? It's business. Competition. Industrial Darwinism, "evolve or die". Competeing by introducing a small form factor isn't copying, it's competing. Stealing the exact look/technology is wrong, but this world would be a much duller place if we didn't have businesses competing to produce the best products for us. Beside, the PC has had small form factor for years, Apples Mini was introduced to compete on the low end of the market. Apples are known for design; why? Because where the PC has mountains of hardware and Software, the Mac is limited; severely. Good design, pretty computers, is the way they make their company stick out. Dealing on the "oooo, ahhhh" factor. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mac, I feel it is over rated by many, but for a computer that is easy to use, "it just works". PCs on the other hand have had a massive amount of Software and hardware available for years; there was no need for the box to be "pretty", after all, it was just a "tool". That's changing today, companies have begun to realize that consumers are more sophisticated and want electronics that look good - whatever they are. Also, even though most computers use MS WinXP, the computer isn't MS. I have 4 pcs. 2 WinXP, one Linux (rocks!) and one Mac. Mac? Yes, Mac. Two words, "Pear PC". OS X is nice, so is WinXP, but Linux wins in my book!

So, everyone stop, look at the brand of your computer, and repeat after me,"This is my computer, there are many like it, but this one is mine." now point at your head and say,
"This is my brain, it's one of a kind!

Get it?

The computer, PC or Mac, is just a tool, nothing but a hammer or saw. It doesn't matter. What matters is what you do with it, perfection lies in the mind, not in a chunk of plastic,metal and silcon.

Focus, Danielson...focus.

maxx10
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately that thing is just a mockup, a non working prototype...

from zd net coverage :
Thus far, the concept PC is just a piece of plastic, literally, although its design showed a clock display and optical drive in front, with ports such as USB, optical audio and FireWire in the back.

mummey
03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Uh, FYI PC guys who think the Macmini can be compared to a Shuttle. The Shuttle is the size of 8 Macmini's stacked together.

Beamtracer
03-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Competeing by introducing a small form factor isn't copying, it's competing. ... the PC has had small form factor for years As far as form factor goes, there has been no Windows PC quite like the Mac Mini. They stole the Mac Mini's form factor, they stole its shape. It's a total utter ripoff. At least Intel should come clean and admit that they got the idea from Apple.

Apple does all the design work for the next generation of Windows PCs!

the PC has mountains of hardware and Software, the Mac is limitedI think you'd be surprised by the mountains of software for OS X. For the things I do, I find a better choice on Mac than Windows.

At least Apple spends huge amounts of money on R&D. How much does Dell and Gateway spend on R&D? Yes... and it shows.

mummey
03-04-2005, 02:18 PM
At least Apple spends huge amounts of money on R&D. How much does Dell and Gateway spend on R&D? Yes... and it shows.

Dell has a ton of R&D. They continually find new ways to make their PC's cheaper. :D

DigiLusionist
03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Why is there a compulsive need to tout the Mac's supposed superiority at every turn? Do some of you guys own stock in the company, or something? No amount of clever retort or sniping is going to change the fact that the majority of computer users have PCs (as ugly as they may be). Perhaps it's because they get the job done, are inexpensive, and have the software they want. Was the first computer made a Mac? So, who copied who?

Q_B
03-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Nahh the real first one had a sleekier design ...
http://www.fourmilab.ch/babbage/figures/hpbae.jpg

aha ... now you see were they got the silver metal idea from ...

Sovereign
03-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Who cares what computer look like? How stupid.

The monitor is what you look at all day. Spend money on beautiful monitor. Put computer under desk.

Velk
03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Why is there a compulsive need to tout the Mac's supposed superiority at every turn? Do some of you guys own stock in the company, or something? No amount of clever retort or sniping is going to change the fact that the majority of computer users have PCs (as ugly as they may be). Perhaps it's because they get the job done, are inexpensive, and have the software they want. Was the first computer made a Mac? So, who copied who?

Is Beta better than VHS? Did they still lose the marketing battle? Your argument doesn't hold water because sometimes the superior brand loses though bad marketing etc...

Personally I don't own any Macs (nor any Apple stock) - but after the recent drops in price from Apple I'm looking to switch over.

gruvsyco
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM
For the things I do, I find a better choice on Mac than Windows.

So, what you're saying is that the Mac has better tools for finding every thread on CGTalk that mentions MS and spreads vague half truthful comments. I could see where there could be a market for that. :banghead:

That Cappucino PC has been around alot longer and is just barely bigger than a CD drive. Actually, there is a whole site (http://www.mini-itx.com/) that is dedicated to small form factor PCs.

Bellorum
03-04-2005, 04:21 PM
It's so funny. Mention anything related to Microsoft, and the apple/Linux/open source people feel obliged to start the bashing - for what reason? What good does it do?

mistafreeze
03-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I plan on buying a mac mini later on this month, i used to have a g4 mac a long time ago and it was much speedier than my 2 ghz p4 using photoshop and some other applications that i used, and the g4 was around 800 mhz i think

so im sure the mac mini is going to be pretty fast for most of the work that needs to be done. I dont think everyone realizes how much more capable a powerpc processor is compared to a intel chip. it really doesnt have much to do with mac osx being or not being better than windows. it has to do with the chip.

since linux runs on both the powerpc platform and the intel platform, using fedora core or yellowdog linux you can still have a common environment among your machines. (infact yellow dog (fedora based linux) has a new version out with great support for the mini mac)

the g4 processor uses less power than a p4, which is why the mini mac is much smaller than any other current intel offering, and thats probly why their workin on adding a laptop type processor in thier mini machine.

the main reason i want a mini mac is to take it with me on vacation (i have a laptop but the mini mac would be easier to hook up to the tv to view pictures, watch dvds on the tv etc), for all the add-ons that are sure to come (theirs already a neon blue skirt out for your mini mac) and to use mac os again, 10.4 will be out soon (maybe end of this month) and i plan on buying it.

i hear tiger (10.4) is going to be very HDTV friendly, with the mini mac having a DVI connection on the back it will hook up nicely to my HDTV, and who knows im sure soon apple will be offering hdtv movies out of itunes or a similar program using the new h.264 format thats coming to quicktime 7.

According to apple this is the year of HDTV, and with the mini mac being able to hook up to your hdtv with ease i belive they have big plans for this system.

the only flaws i see, are no optical audio outputs, no audio inputs for recording, and to get a serious system your going to need to upgrade a lot of the components and the cost will rise to around 875 not counting a keyboard mouse or monitor.

el_diablo
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I think Mac mini is a nice idea. It helps us PC guys have a taste of the dark side at a low price.

However, inovative it isnt.
Upgradeable it isnt.

People that are comparing it to SFF PCs are a bit off the mark since SFF pcs arent the same form factor or league, since most SFFs are upgradeable to a point.

There are PCs that could be compared to MM tho. As far as performance, hope Apple manufactures something like ZmaxDP from the PC world. A small dual processor machine. I dont see it happening anytime soon tho ;).

halo
03-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Who cares what computer look like? How stupid.

The monitor is what you look at all day. Spend money on beautiful monitor. Put computer under desk.

and for those that would like one in the living room without making the living room look like an office?

ambient-whisper
03-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I plan on buying a mac mini later on this month, i used to have a g4 mac a long time ago and it was much speedier than my 2 ghz p4 using photoshop and some other applications that i used, and the g4 was around 800 mhz i think

while i think the mac mini is freakin cool, and i like osx for its own reasons. i think there was something wrong with your p4. when i used osx it was on a 1.3something ghz cpu and it was much much slower than my 2.4 back at home. then again its not even a fair comparrison when you compare whats inside both systems.

Saurus
03-04-2005, 09:51 PM
and for those that would like one in the living room without making the living room look like an office?

I think it's pretty useless for living room use. Where you going to put the mouse pad and keyboard. I rather get an XP home media with a remote control so I don’t need to get off my lazy boy sofa. Plus, I can record shows on HD using schedule bar, listen to music, surf the web, have picture in picture TV, play DVD, looks at digital pictures and doing this while (again) sitting on my *SS in my Lazy Boy Sofa.

Frankly, if Apple wants to sell these minis, it still should be even cheaper. For $ 200 more, I can buy a laptop.

Velk
03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
why in the world would you want a $700 laptop?

Portability is not the key here. The point is making consumers interested in a second computer. Switching isn't the call now, its more subtle. Get consumers to pick up an Apple for five hundo and maybe later on down the line they will buy a laptop or replace their desktop with Apple products.

Saurus
03-04-2005, 10:25 PM
why in the world would you want a $700 laptop?

Portability is not the key here. The point is making consumers interested in a second computer. Switching isn't the call now, its more subtle. Get consumers to pick up an Apple for five hundo and maybe later on down the line they will buy a laptop or replace their desktop with Apple products.

Umm…because it can do the same thing a mini can do, but able to do it at a coffee shop or in a middle of a desert.

Alert! Alert! Pricing change….for a $100 dollars more than a mini, you can get a laptop! Are you serious that you don’t know why people would want a $700 laptop? I know a whole a lot of people who want a 700 dollars laptop!

Maybe that’s the reason Apple doesn’t know why there are more PC out there than Apples.

pgp_protector
03-04-2005, 10:28 PM
14.1 XGA Screen
1.2Ghz
128M Ram
40GHD
CDRom(No DVD)
WinXP Home
$399.99 no rebate required.

Throw in a WiFi card, and you have a mobel web surfing ;)

Velk
03-05-2005, 04:31 AM
14.1 XGA Screen
1.2Ghz
128M Ram
40GHD
CDRom(No DVD)
WinXP Home
$399.99 no rebate required.

Throw in a WiFi card, and you have a mobel web surfing ;)

That amount of Ram will barely run that OS which, by the way, is not being supported by Microsoft any more.

The reason I asked about a $700 laptop is my experience is they are almost impossible to upgrade and in order to get any useful life you have to buy the top rung and pray you aren't out dated in 3 years. At my office I have a 3 year turn around policy on laptops. After that point we either return them (if on a lease) or practically give them away.

pgp_protector
03-05-2005, 06:33 AM
That amount of Ram will barely run that OS which, by the way, is not being supported by Microsoft any more.

The reason I asked about a $700 laptop is my experience is they are almost impossible to upgrade and in order to get any useful life you have to buy the top rung and pray you aren't out dated in 3 years. At my office I have a 3 year turn around policy on laptops. After that point we either return them (if on a lease) or practically give them away.

XP Home is not being supported any more ???????????

And you found this out where ????

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 06:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.