hey all

heres a wip from me

http://www.dazland.com/misc/lowreslavatest.avi

let me know what u think :-)

all the best

aracid

LightFreeze
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
looks good for a test , I think you need more build up of lava at the base, the speed the lava is coming out at suggests there would be more on the ground than we can see

you do realise there aint much time left?

good luck

aracid
03-04-2005, 07:25 AM
hey LightFreeze

thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

by that do u mean volume? or the parts that drop?

yeah time isnt helping :hmm:

all the best

aracid

vrljc
03-04-2005, 10:01 AM
That lava is coming out really fast, which is ok; however, since the lava is coming out so fast, there is a lot of force pushing it out of the ground, meaning that the ground will explode a bit more. Try sending some chunks of asphalt flying. And to play up the explosion even more, add a camera shake.

Another thing that I noticed on the lava spring on the left is that when the lava goes up, it thins out like smoke or steam. That lava should maintain its volume until it lands on the ground.

-jon

aw3d
03-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I think the lava should flow down the street.

Greetings, Andreas

LightFreeze
03-04-2005, 05:20 PM
yes I mean the total volume, its like the tap is full on but the sink isn`t filling up :shrug:

aracid
03-07-2005, 09:06 AM
hey all

heres my final submission

final submission (http://www.dazland.com/misc/aracid_FXWars_720X476.mov)

(please note that the file will only become available just before 12) :hmm:

basically it was done after hours for about 2 weeks, nothing serious, mostly weekends.
did some work on other shots, and decided on this one.

i used houdini for the lava and geom and shake to composite.

basically i tried to depict what it would be like if the undergound tunnels were filled with lava and started breaking through the ground.

hope u guys like it :)

also like to thank my muse ;-) and the guys at odforce and obvously cgtalk to give us all this fun thing to do on the side :-)

al the best

aracid

Baq
03-07-2005, 09:14 AM
The page you requested is unavailable.

The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

DarrinH
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
[Hi all

I am uploading and hosting the file for Aracid. Our IT dude isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so I am having problems with connection but it is getting there so please be patient.]

EDIT: Ok, all is fixed, apologies to anybody who was hurt in the delay.

Darrin

aracid
03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
this is crazy

http://www.dazland.com/misc/aracid_fxwars_720x476.mov (refinal)

i understand if this is unacceptable, but i upload the file this morning and it just wasnt coming through, and eventually i found out that if the link has capital letters on then it will cause problem.

sorry for this

aracid :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DarrinH
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Right, that was my fault.
My host for some reason, converts all letters to lower cases - so the file was there but the link would not work. GAARGGHH -

LightFreeze
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
link still broken, I ended up here http://www.refinal.hr/index.php

Daniel-B
03-07-2005, 08:13 PM
How did you do those lava geysers? I know they are particles, but what software, and what technique did you use to create them? Truly awesome.

RobertoOrtiz
03-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Take it easy. You have until Friday.

-R

aracid
03-08-2005, 07:06 AM
hey all

thanks for letting me know LightFreeze

new link (http://www.dazland.com/misc/aracid_fxwars_720x476.mov)

Hey PixelMagic

thanks for the comments
the minute the challenge is over, i'll give u a full breakdown of how i achieved anything in the shot.
if thats cool?

my main focus of this week is to get the forground looking better,

anyways

thanks again

aracid

LightFreeze
03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
I had to copy/paste to get your clip,

good job, much more realistic now :thumbsup:

aracid
03-11-2005, 10:33 AM
hey all

heres the final, decided to tone back the effect,

friday Final (http://www.dazland.com/misc/aracid_fxwars_720_476_friday.avi)
its divx

thanks to all for comments,

PixelMagic i'll prepare something to show u, in terms of the gysers etc.

phil and judd, thnks for the tips and crit ;-)

Thanks to darren, for letting me host the file :-)

and to cgkeltuzar, pitty we ran out of time, but thanks for coming along for the time u did.

and to the other competitors, good luck!

all the best guys,

aracid

aracid
04-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey PixelMagic (http://member.php?u=23479)

I have to say Iím sorry for being soooo late with the explanation of the crack elements of the volcano competition.

too stacked with work, its stupid.

But alas, heres a little pic of the basic breakdown of the crack and a little explanation.

Firstly I did the effect with Sidefx Houdini,

Secondly, Most of the crack effect was achieved with particles J pumped into geomÖ.

How it works is u send the geom. Through a particle system, and thus it acts like a softbody/dynamic object.. I found that it reacted far more organically than just hand animation, and I felt that if I wanted to changed timing or have different shard timing, a dynamic solution was a good option.

The basic opening of the lift is a particle system, that reacted to a metaball that moved through the divided areas of the crack, and then a wider and delayed metaball that allow the retirement of the mass.

Using the metaball that influenced the particles, I had a system that the shards had to retain most of their shape, but reacted to this foreign force that tore them apart, I could allow certain areas to be affected by a force. Whiles others retain their shape.

What I did was start with a grid, moved it around a bit, then defined what areas I wanted to break up, by physically selecting them, then, I created a system that lifted one shard the way I wanted. And basically copied that system onto each shard still linking the effect to one metaball.

Thatís whatís cool about Houdini, u can literally create effects and copy and paste them.

Thatís how I achieved the tearing/opening of the ground.

Another factor that I added was a thing called CHOPS, basically I can retime the crack exploding, but also add a bit of a random lag to the explosion, this really helped cause it made the explosion a bit more organic, especially on the high res geometry, cause it would cause subtle random delays on the effect, as if the ground was actually splitting apart in a non uniform way. Something I havenít yet seen in other programs.

Using the chops, I could retain my basic simulation and finely adjust the timing very quickly, with almost realtime feedback.

Something that chops really helped with.

Then what I did was render the geometry out to file, its like baking out your shadows but geom, saved out each and every frame via a render geometry feature. Feature, so that I could play it back real-time by loading it in with a file load feature that grabbed different files for different frames (file SOP) and cached them. This also gave me to option of moving the geometry anywhere and playing with its position once I developed the crack exploding.

I created 2 variations of the crack opening, by basically adjusting the metaball speed and the chops influence.

After that I positioned the cracks on screen and projected a texture from the camera onto them.

Had an ambient occlusion pass for lighting the detail, and a layer that I added to the effect that accentuated the actual crack lines. Uíll see the fine red crack, just before the actual explosion.

Then for the stuff coming out, basically thatís particles emitting from a plate just underneath the shards and interacting with the system I discussed above,
hey have a interaction feature, that forces them to have a forcefield around them, basically allowing them to be aware of each other.
this also helped with the exploding as the crack opens.
they are rendered as meatballs. add a bit of a additive glow J

The steam is basically the same system as the lava but it was colliding off the geom with more resilience. That with higher initial velocity gave off the burst through the crack look., i added more drag too them, to slow them down as soon as the evaporated. and influenced the opacity with a random life span, but also grew them, to give them a diffused look.
i added a subtle feature, by sending the actual lava into the steam system, and effected the steam by the presence of the lava. u'll see the steam shift slightly away as the lava moves through. especially on the left gyser, towards the top. u'll see a good example of what i mean.

Other than that, I cant think of anything else that was interesting J

Hoped this helped and once again sorry for the late reply.

All the best

aracid

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2005, 11:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.