PDA

View Full Version : Using LW Gradients for Cel Shading

takkun
09-19-2002, 10:21 AM
It occured to me the other day that Lightwave's gradients set to light incidence could be used for cel shading. I think that it would be a lot faster than pluging in numbers in Super Cel shader or Unreal... what do you guys think?

Tudor
09-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Sure.. it works.
The problem is that it becomes a mess if you want the object to be affected by more than one light. That is if you use the light incidence angle and not the camera incidence angle.

What troubles me is that when using light incidence there is no way of setting the colour on the side not lit. That could have been a cool way of getting light to creep around a surface and do rim lights for example.

RobinOberg
09-19-2002, 11:50 AM
ok, unreal can be abit slow(maybe cause it allows raytracing), but super cel shader is creaming fast. the super cel shader makes the surface render even faster then a regular surface with nothing turned on :)

would be fun to see some tests on this :)

leigh
09-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Tudor - sure you can do that :)
What I do is assign a bunch of colours to angle incidence and then place another gradient over it using light incidence as an alpha, at 50% or whatever.
Using the angle incidence allows you to set all the colours, and they work excellently around the rims, and then you just control them with the alpha layer so that they are not too overbearing ;)

I've had some very cool results when playing around with things like that. I've been able to make a brilliant looking velvet using a similar technique too.

Gradients can do anything!

Yiorgz
09-20-2002, 05:14 AM
:bowdown:

Leigh - you are indeed a Texture Goddess..

This place is just full of brilliant people - it rocks !!

proton
09-20-2002, 05:16 AM
I can't wait to see what Leigh comes up with for the Texture Contest...:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.