PDA

View Full Version : Rez & Resident Evil Luminaries Developing For Xbox 2 (Yoshiki Okamoto and Tetsuya)

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Quote:
"Hot on the heels of last week's Xbox Next role-playing game announcement, Microsoft is now happy to announce that the driving creative minds behind the likes of Resident Evil, Rez, Street Fighter and Space Channel 5 have joined forces with the company to create exciting new titles for the Xbox Next, primarily designed to attract Japanese gamers to the system:

In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games. ">>Link<< (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/592/592631p1.html?fromint=1)
-R

Lunatique
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
I'm really not much of a console gamer, although I own the N64, Dreamcast, and Xbox. However, I've been partial to the Xbox since the very beginning (also Dreamcast).

It makes me happy that Japanese developers are embracing the Xbox (finally!). Xbox had such a hard time in Japan initially, and only few visionary developers like Tecmo recognized its superiority and potential. I was never a fan of PS1 or PS2. I hated that jagged aliased look (early PS2 games didn't have anti-aliasing). I was a big fan of Dreamcast and was sad that it had such a short life, but when Xbox came out, I saw that it delivered the same quality that Dreamcast did, and then some. I was always afraid that Xbox might get squeezed out of the market since it really struggled for a few years. But now, I see that people have finally realized its potential, and witnessed how serious Microsoft is when it comes delivering a quality platform for gaming. People also laughed at it for being a "PC in a box" for the longest time, but look what's happening now--competitors want to put hard drives in their next-generation machines. No one's laughing anymore. Xbox Live also proved to be the most successful and efficient online gaming for consoles by far.

Kudos to the the Xbox guys. You've proven yourselves to gamers around the world.

silvergun
03-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Even though I hate Microsoft with a passion, news of Tetsuya Mizuguchi making games from the next xbox sounds very good indeed. Damn you Microsoft

Qslugs
03-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey an update to rez whould be great :) Hopefully others saw the genuis in that game.

djmagick
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Japanese will never buy XBox, they will also never have any quality titles like GT4.

Dirtystimpy
03-04-2005, 06:28 PM
never huh?

wow...

rooktooky
03-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Last time I checked, GT4 was developed by a Japanese developer. I don't think they will have the kind of titles Americans consider quality. They really could use all the help they can get now seeing as though the Japanese economy aint doing so well. I wonder if they'd have a different outlook on American imports and American business ownership if their fortunes would change. They overprice alot of the American products over there including Xbox for what I've heard are degenerate practices. Why do that in the first place? Pumping up Xbox and it's software could only help. If only Bill Gates could make XboxNext a bit smaller seeing as though that is necessity down there because of the cramped living conditions. Ofcourse my knowledge of Japan comes from the Discovery channel so y'all make up your own mind.

(P.S. Alot of those Japanese produced titles are horrible. If they could do the same type of storytelling they did with Resident Evil 4 and stay away from the Ghost in the Shell type ridiculousness then maybe more of their homegrown titles could become staples in America. )

bentllama
03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I knew about this announcement ages ago, and have been giddy with excitement ever since...

xenon gonna rokk yoo.

superlayer
03-05-2005, 10:32 PM
rooktooky (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=147337):

"Last time I checked, GT4 was developed by a Japanese developer. I don't think they will have the kind of titles Americans consider quality"

Americans consider quality? When did american consumers become more quality oriented than the japanese? For Gods sake man, what are you talking about? This is what japanese are known for. Quality, quality and more quality. This is not about what americans consider quality but what japanese consider quality. Microsoft hired one of the gods of gamedesign to give the xbox 2 higher quality games.

"They really could use all the help they can get now seeing as though the Japanese economy aint doing so well. I wonder if they'd have a different outlook on American imports and American business ownership if their fortunes would change"

This is so arrogant and ignorant at the same time I am not sure what to say.

"They overprice alot of the American products over there including Xbox for what I've heard are degenerate practices. Why do that in the first place?"

To protect their markets from american invasion maybe? However dont fool yourself into thinking that a lot of american products could compete head to head with japanese products. Cars? Electronics? games? food? lol. I really cant find anything.

"If only Bill Gates could make XboxNext a bit smaller seeing as though that is necessity down there because of the cramped living conditions."

Another arrogant/ignorant remark. What does that have to do with anything?
What is your point?

"(P.S. Alot of those Japanese produced titles are horrible. If they could do the same type of storytelling they did with Resident Evil 4 and stay away from the Ghost in the Shell type ridiculousness then maybe more of their homegrown titles could become staples in America. )"

I have a faint idea that you simply couldnt grasp what Ghost in the shell is about.
Ghost in the shell is a japanese product forged in a non american culture, just because its different doesnt make it horrible.
You arrogant and selfdeluted stand on this is really sad in my eyes.

So they should stay away from making the stuff thats unique to japan to please americans? I dont think you will ever get that satisfaction. They have more sense of honor and dignity that you will ever even begin to comprehend. vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019953", true);

Visualz Sphere
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
"Alot of those Japanese produced titles are horrible.."

Final Fantasy series, Metal Gear Solid series, Zelda games, etc. All of those games are awesome
and have the sales to back it up. Those games as well as many other popular games are made by Japanese companies.

PhilOsirus
03-06-2005, 05:54 PM
A lot of non-Japanese games are horrible.

Jackmars
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Nice news.cant wait for the xenon.Really looking forward to E3.:)

rooktooky
03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Let me first apologize if I offended anyone. When I say Japanese I was referring to it's Industrial culture not the people themselves. The thing about the games being horrible I'm speaking of the majority titles released there are released for Japanese interest. People from different cultures sometimes appreciate different devices. Sorry if I sound so arrogant and ignorant. I've had this discussion with different people on different sites and there have been novels written on the subject so I really don't know what's so terrible about what I said. The subject was brought up and I answered with my own available knowledge. And by the way, the Japanese economy is in a serious downswing. Ask your favorite economist. Alot of games doesn't mean all games. I'm speaking of games available for import. Relax dude.

About the whole Xbox being smaller thing, if you could just dip around the net a bit and ask why the Japanese don't buy the Xbox in droves the size was one of the factors that the JAPANESE mentioned. A JAPANESE CEO was conducting the conversation. I'm basically just repeating what he said, that Japan takes their available space seriously seeing as though it lacks available space. This is well known guy. I saw a report on this on the Discovery Channel. What's your problem? Maybe you have something against the Japanese seeing as though you just called a well regarded CEO arrogant and ignorant.

Ghost in the Shell 2 recieved very poor reviews from a majority of publications. Play Magazine comes to mind. This whole thing about not getting it and you being so much smarter than me because I didn't understand what was going on is a ridiculous overused cop out. I didn't like it, it was boring, I found it dull and uninteresting, and that doesn't rank you any higher in life than I am. You call me all these names without knowing my meaning and I'm the ignorant one? Why don't you take some of that honor you so admire from the Japanese and learn how to treat other people. Maybe your just angry cause your not Japanese. Love yourself dude. There's nothing wrong with being you. Please leave CGTalk and find peace in your life. You're too angry for this forum.

superlayer
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Ha ha well thats was funny reading.
Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.