PDA

View Full Version : Setting UP The Mouse Menu

Kaiser_Sose
09-19-2002, 07:06 AM
One thing I realy like in Maya and 3DSMax is the mouse menus which come built into the interface

That said, I am having a hard time setting them up in LW. I was wondering if someone can either post their txt file or the text in the file that represents this. it would be a great help

Thanks

Kaiser_Sose
09-20-2002, 01:09 AM
Anyone care to share their mouse menu setup

proton
09-20-2002, 01:26 AM
what do you mean by mouse menu....do you mean lose the menu on the right and just use :

Ctrl + Shift + Right Click

Kaiser_Sose
09-20-2002, 03:39 AM
Yes, I thik thats what LW calls it

When you right click and have the modify tool handy

Julez4001
09-20-2002, 06:33 AM
hey proton...Can you post to the techs to see if we can customize the keys for that feature.

Some of us come from different apps and changing CTRL-SHift, would really help.

isnowboard
09-20-2002, 07:09 AM
@Julez4001:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21375

This is the Bazaro world thread to what you want. I want the exact opposite, to be able to use ctrl+shift with other keys. :)

I'm sure Proton has shown this thread and the other one to the programmers! ;)

Kaiser_Sose
09-20-2002, 08:38 AM
I dont know, I just like it in 3DSMax and Maya when you right click on the geometry you can slect many different things like extrude face for instance

dark_lotus
09-21-2002, 06:21 AM
I never use the mouse menu (too slow).

You're best bet is to learn the shortcut keys.

CIM
09-21-2002, 08:32 AM
I have all the main tools hotkeyed, and made the mouse menus a little more organized. I don't use the side bar menus. This is basically the same way I work in Maya.

LyonHaert
09-21-2002, 08:39 AM
max and maya also work fundamentally differently in terms of selecting points and polygons. some of the things that you would change are permanently assigned to a specific task that can't be re-mapped, because it isn't really a command, per se. like RMB. in other applications, it may bring up a context menu, but in Modeler it allows you to draw a lasso selection area. in Modeler, this is an important selection method.

allowing you to remap things with that much flexibility (ie, enough flexibility to turn LW into max or maya) would not only require extensive reprogramming, but they would first have to heavily redesign some of LW's core structure. and i don't think modifying an already splendid UI would garner the barest consideration of doing so. because when it is all boiled down, such UI issues are based only on opinion.

UnrealSnowman
09-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose I was wondering if someone can either post their txt file or the text in the file that represents this[/B]
You should try checking out meni or digitaldomains configfiles.. I think you will see then popup in a search on flay. ;)

jjburton
09-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Here's a link to meni's settings.

http://www.menithings.com/config/default.htm

Kaiser_Sose
09-21-2002, 09:28 PM
I took a look at meni's settings for modeler and they are not for me

I really just want something where you just middle or right mouse and you have access to al the modeling tools handy

froggyplat
09-21-2002, 11:23 PM
kaiser:
i recently experimented with the mouse menu stuff and i have to say it speeded up my workflow tremendously. i also changed almost every keyboard shortcut too.

basically, i keep the most used tools as shortcuts, like smooth shift, bevel, extrude, etc. then everything else, including flay plugins get dumped into the right mouse button menu. there are 4 sections broken down by range (alphabetically) and the name of each plugin goes into the appropriate section. so when i need something it's only two steps to find it (without having to look around for it in the menu tabs on top). this way i almost never have to use the tabs or menus on the side.

Kaiser_Sose
09-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by froggyplat
this way i almost never have to use the tabs or menus on the side.

:thumbsup:

Can you post your config file. You can save it out, just in case you did not know

froggyplat
09-21-2002, 11:52 PM
sure, but: i take no responsibility for the use (or damage) of this config by anyone.:)
you'll probably get some stuff greyed out if you don't have the plugins. but, they all came from flay.com so you can get them there if you want (i still haven't learned how to use them all).

isnowboard
09-23-2002, 02:34 PM
I find myself wanting to jump from wireframe to wireframe shade. Can I set these up in the mouse menus? I can't find the answer in the manual or nor can I find the option to do so. Kind of pain always going to the little drop down triangle. Is this possible?

Mike RB
09-23-2002, 02:58 PM
use crtl+numpad to set up a preference, then just hit that numpad key to retrieve your view setting.

Mike

isnowboard
09-23-2002, 03:36 PM
Mike,

Not what I was after. Just tried it, and saved a preference, but it still wants to keep going to just the view I saved the changes at.

For example, I want to just switch that viewport to wireframe, and then back to wireframe shade, being viewport independant. I want the flexability to be in the perspective, flip back and forth, then move my arrow to the top and do the same.

Julez4001
09-23-2002, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify....
I want to be seup mousemenu keys so it I wanna bting them up I can go
alt-right click or alt-middle click instead of ctrl+shift mouse ckick... or
set shift-mouseclick.

Yep..I feel you, I got my numpad already jam up with different config tor texturring, modeling characters, modeling vehciles and such....

I wish they had a set of key prefs for wireshade mode and shaded mode too...

Lizard Head
09-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Keyboard shortcuts is where its at, nothing boosts efficency like learning them. IMHO

LyonHaert
09-23-2002, 08:15 PM
alright, here's what you do for switching between different viewport rendering modes.

select the rendering mode you want, then hit Ctrl and the keybad number (Num-Lock on, of course) you want it on. when the dialog box comes up, do not enter a Preset Name. make sure Single Pane is selected, and uncheck Mapping Type and Visibility, leaving only Rendering Style selected.

if you like working in a single viewport, you can also set up keypad numbers to correspond with Back, Top, Right, Perspective, etc. by doing the same as above, only leaving Mapping Type checked and unchecking the other two.

here's my key setup.
1 - Back
2 - Top
3 - Right
4 - Perspective
5 - Color Wireframe
6 - Wireshade
7 - Wireframe
8 - Weight Shade
9 - Textured

and i'll probably be changing 7 to UV mapping type at some point.

Kaiser_Sose
09-24-2002, 01:00 PM
I guess we can just dream of a marking menu in LW ... they have it patented

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/studiotools/img/ui.gif

isnowboard
09-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Marking menu is the same shit as the hotbox.

isnowboard
09-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Full thanks to LyonHaert and 1/2 to Mike :) Done deal. Just what I wanted until they allow for more customization in LW8 :P

Mike RB
09-24-2002, 02:14 PM
no problem. :)

Kaiser_Sose
09-26-2002, 03:44 AM
WHile hopefuly the interface gets some more customization in the next version can someone show me how I can do this ...

I usually work in quad and have it set to

top / perspective
back / right

How can I have it so I can hover over a viewport hit a key and that view goes full screen, click it again and it goes back to default

Maybe I can setup the spacebar for it. I know it currently handles the modes on the bottom of modeler but I can use the mouse for this

isnowboard
09-26-2002, 04:10 AM
How can I have it so I can hover over a viewport hit a key and that view goes full screen, click it again and it goes back to default

With the mouse in the viewport you want to be in, just hit "0" on the numeric keypad. Hit zero again to go back to the quad view.

Kaiser_Sose
09-26-2002, 04:27 AM
Doh, How could I have missed that one ... thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.