PDA

View Full Version : VFX Community Helps School Kids in Iraq

BrandonD
03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey folks, this is just one way for me to say "thanks" and recognize the folks in the VFX community who have been sending me school supplies in northern Iraq, so that I can get them into the hands of needy school children. You can read all about it here...

http://www.taskforce-ronin.com/members/brandon/projects/barbiryschool/index.htm

umjetnik
03-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Isnt it telling that no-one could be bothered commenting on this ? unless its bad news coming from Iraq nobody is interested,...so sad.

I applaud you and the rest of the guys over there doing a great job..

cheers from weta New Zealand

JDex
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Brandon... looks like you guys are doing great work over there... glad to see those kids smiling. I hope someday soon many of them will be sharing their artwork here at CGTalk. Best wishes to everyone working hard to do some good. Cheers.

Funk Ride
03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
It's hard to thank people after they invade and destory most of my country. On an individual basis, thank you for helpng the needy. But overall, I say fcuk you to the invading army.

Sorry, but I'm an Iraqi (from the North, too), and I'm disgusted with what happened to my nation.

Apologies for the rant, and I know politics are a no-go here, but I can't sit by and not comment. It's my country, afterall, and I have absolutely no qualms about speaking out against every iota of BS thsat was used to justify the illegal invasion.

Funk Ride
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
One last rant. I find it funny how we have our homes destroyed, our family members shot for sport (yes, the Americans take pot shots at civilian Iraqis as well as animals on the street) just for the hell of it. They have murdered more Iraqis in few years than Saddam ever did. They torture us, demean us, etc.

They do all of this, and yet tell us to be thankfull for the handouts. No thanks. A starving child will be grateful for a glass of water, no matter who gives it out, wonder they are smiling? But hey, I'm sure the smiling opressed Iraqis are all too happy to be presented as postcard images supporting the American invasion.

If you believe that, then you watch too much FOX.

Anyway, sickens me.

alexgk
03-03-2005, 01:13 AM
You can sit by and not comment about it here, this is a community of artists. Nothing to do with politics. I couldn't even begin to understand what you're going through, but I could assure you the majority of those kids don't want to be over there fighting and don't know why they're over there. The invading army doubtfully frequents cgtalk.

On a positive note I think it's great those big studios take any time or effort to help out less fortunate.

leigh
03-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Please keep political rants out of this thread. This is a positive thread.

As for this... a colleague of mine posted this around the office today. I think it's absolutely fantastic!

jbo
03-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Like it or not this subject IS political to a lot of people. If you're gonna allow people to say "oh, that's great news", I think its only fair that you allow funk ride to say what he has to say.

leigh
03-03-2005, 03:42 AM
If there are any more political rants in this thread, I am afraid that it will be closed.

jbo
03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
perhaps that would be the proper thing to do if we're only going to allow one side to speak otherwise

leigh
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
This is not about supressing freedom of speech. Please keep POSITIVE threads POSITIVE.

BrandonD
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Hey Frunk, believe me, I would much rather be back home working on a cool VFX project. But I'm stuck here, dodging IEDs, RPGs and every other acronym you can imagine - and I didn't even vote for Bush. But I'm doing my best to make lemonade out of a few rotten lemons, so don't mind me if I thank the people back home who've helped out the kids here. Politics aside, this was a purely humanitarian gesture on their part and they deserve some credit.

de_tomato
03-03-2005, 04:09 AM
i feel for Funk Ride (http://member.php?u=82632), he must be very frustrated. seeing what happened to his own country, which probly pretty ironic to him. probly he was thinking, "first u come to bomb us, now you come here with a cup of water, and you think you deserve some credit?". just very unlucky. and now your post was being edited, you must be feeling that you werent treated fairly. probly its the fact, but you can see it in the different way tho.

Funk Ride (http://member.php?u=82632): not all american are evil, some of em (probly some minority) do have a good soul. so probly, with some help of those minority, you can see a better world. im just so sorry for you, im truly am. have courage and be brave. i cant express enough, just sorry.

sincerely.

BrandonD
03-03-2005, 04:24 AM
Just a quick note: The folks that we've been helping with these donations are people who welcome our support. They are not the folks that have killed two of my friends so far, and wounded six others down in Mosul (people who were trying to help rebuild the hospitals, mind you). But they are the people who were driven from their homes and gassed with chemical weapons, all by the government responsible for watching out for them. You can understand where my sympathies are, can't you?

Feel free to delete this post. I'm just bummed that this thread has become something I didn't want or expect.

leigh
03-03-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm just bummed that this thread has become something I didn't want or expect.

You're not the only one who is disappointed :hmm:

Leonard
03-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi all,

Dealing with threads such as this are always painful. We want to keep CGTalk positive, but how can we maintain a positive tone when there are members with heavily different political views having heated discussion? Because of this, we try to maintain a 'no politics' rule so that we can all just talk about what we do have in common - the love of CG.

Brandon, I am so sorry for having to do this, but we have to close this thread. I am disappointed that we have to do this, but it is clear that this thread cannot be discussed in any manner that is related to the good-willed nature of the VFX artists/staff who donated to improving the lives of people in Northern Iraq. It is far too sensitive a topic (as it has shown already), and we choose to nip the problem in the bud before it becomes unecessarily huge.

We appreciate that the thread was started in good faith, and apologise for the inconvenience. From our vast experience in dealing with sensitive threads such as this, we feel that it is best to have this thread closed. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Leonard