PDA

View Full Version : D'artiste Character Modeling Call for entries

onlooker
03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
d'artiste Character Modeling - Call for entries

Ballistic Publishing is proud to announce the second title in its d'artiste Digital Artists Master Class series. d'artiste: Character Modeling features three of the community's leading digital artists demonstrating their techniques and approaches. More than just tricks and techniques, d'artiste delves into each artist's overall approach, their choice of subject matter and what inspires them.

Here is a link to the page (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_character_modeling/)

I noticed Aki on the cover page, and I really hope Steven Giesler is a featured artist in the book. His work is what inspired probably half the people I know to get into 3D. :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
[size=3]
I noticed Aki on the cover page, and I really hope Steven Giesler is a featured artist in the book. His work is what inspired probably half the people I know to get into 3D. :thumbsup:

The Artists
Leading artists Pascal Blanché, Francisco A. Cortina, and Steven Stahlberg each take you behind the scenes of their character development showing you the techniques that will take your character modeling skills to the next level.

chadtheartist
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I believe Francisco did the models for Final Fantasy, or at least some of it. :P

http://www.cortinadigital.com/

I could be wrong though, but either way I bet this book is going to rock!

onlooker
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes, he did some of the the bodies, from spirits within, and flight of the osirus. (and I think most of the hair) I forgot to mention him, but they both should go into one profile because AFAIK Giesler did all the heads, textures, almost all of SID accept the hair. He also did all of Aki in leather the Nvidia fairy girl if you remember her, and the Siamese twins in big fish.
I think the heads, and bodies (and texturing) are important subjects to cover, and without both of them it seems incomplete.

You can read read the credits which also include Francisco Cortina at his site. Steven Giesler (http://www.stevengiesler.com/index_old.html#)

ceql
03-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow, That's some pretty exciting news indeed! :) :bounce:
This is on top of my to-buy list already :D Bulk inspiration+!

With only about a month to go, the submission deadline is too close to the announcement (!), but I guess this also means that the book will be out sooner... so, arguably it's a fair tradeoff, then :D

PaulAdams
03-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I was hyped when I saw this in my Inbox, only to read down and see its not actually out yet. Hopefully we'll get allot of helpful wireframes, comments and great art to learn from. Certainly going on my Buy list.

Rio Yeti
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone knows if you can send an image that you already submitted to Exposé 3 ? (being a character of course)
I don't see anything against it in the rules and agreements... But I wouldn't want to compromise my chances for any of the books if I sent the same image to both :cool:

Mibus
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Anyone knows if you can send an image that you already submitted to Exposé 3 ? (being a character of course)

Definately! :)

If you want to submit an image you've already uploaded for Exposé 3, head over here:
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/bsw/special/character_modeling.php

If you have trouble, drop me a line - robert@ballisticmedia.net.

KolbyJukes
03-03-2005, 01:13 AM
cool, I'll defintely be buying this book....Francisco Cortina's models are breathtaking.

Rio Yeti
03-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Definately! :)

If you want to submit an image you've already uploaded for Exposé 3, head over here:
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/bsw/special/character_modeling.php

Wow, a special link to do so ! Great ! I'll check with my "co-director / co-designer" of the image, to be sure he's ok with it, and then will click the button !

Thanks !

onlooker
03-03-2005, 05:21 AM
cool, I'll defintely be buying this book....Francisco Cortina's models are breathtaking.

[Edited] - Unnecessary post. :D :thumbsup:

vrf
03-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I agree it's weird to publish a book on creating CG characters and only focus on the modeling. I know some manual-type books do it all the time, but Ballistic books focus more on fine print reproductions of CG pieces. So, are they only going to print a picture of the model?

A better focus would be CG character creation, and include artists from the whole process.

onlooker
03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Not to discredit Cortina for his great work, but I guess my point really was that all the attention everyone pays to Francisco Cortina for what they've seen from the Animatrix, and Final Fantasy. But how memorable would those characters be with out the head's on the models? He did some of the bodies. I think in a photorealistic character most people look at, and criticize them by the look of the face, and head. Character is mostly found in the face because people look each other in the eyes. When you look at a character that you know is CG you look in their eyes, if you can, and as close as you can, to see if is human and not cartoon, a doll, or a mannequin. I think Steven Giesler should definitely be in the book if any of his models are going to be discussed in the book. He did all the heads.

That's my 2¢

KolbyJukes
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
lol, ok, but what would they be without the heads, and textures?

What are you so upset about dude? Francisco Cortina is involved in the book, Steve Giesler is not, it would nice if he was, but hey, that's how it is. You've now posted 4 times about this, we get the point - leave it be.

And i always pay way more attention to the body when looking at character models, just how I am. I'm looking forward to this book.

onlooker
03-03-2005, 08:52 PM
For what reason you think I'm upset I assure you I am not. I was merely pointing out the fact that his work on the characters that he is mostly praised for he wasn't necessarily the lead player in their creation, or their modeling. It just seemed that people were not acknowledging that. It seemed you in-particular ignored that, so I posted the credits hoping you would see them. It seems you now have. Sorry for the mis-conveyance of my thoughts to my words. Perhaps there was some emotion portrayed I was unaware of.
:)

KolbyJukes
03-03-2005, 09:33 PM
It seemed you in-particular ignored that, so I posted the credits hoping you would see them. It seems you now have.

All I said in my initial post was that I really enjoyed Cortina's work, I was well aware of Giesler's involvement in the characters. Just because Cortina didn't make the heads/textures, doesn't mean you can't appreciate his modeling skills. I think you made your point with your first post, there was no need to post a credits list, etc. that's all I was commenting on.

anyway, this thread has been taken way off topic.

-K.

dmonk
03-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Will this only be human characters or alien or cartoon-like?

Very interested though regardless.

Kwak, why don't you submit some of your stuff?

Ddavis
03-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Im interested in summiting, but do the models have to be textured? Or can they just be a nice blinn shader?

visionmaster2
03-03-2005, 10:59 PM
"Artists who have work selected for inclusion in the book will enjoy worldwide exposure in the world's premium collection of digital artwork. In addition, Artists whose work is selected will receive a free copy of the book."

remember me my first job...

i think it's REALLY a great oportunity for all the Artists to be in this beatifull books, BUT,
why dont paying them to ?

Did ballisticpublishing make no money with thoses great images ?:)

PixelShader
03-03-2005, 11:58 PM
"Artists who have work selected for inclusion in the book will enjoy worldwide exposure in the world's premium collection of digital artwork. In addition, Artists whose work is selected will receive a free copy of the book."

remember me my first job...

i think it's REALLY a great oportunity for all the Artists to be in this beatifull books, BUT,
why dont paying them to ?

Did ballisticpublishing make no money with thoses great images ?:)

Oh gawd please don't bring this subject up again cuz it's been beaten to death. Have a read of this (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/callforentries/cgcommunity_benefits.php) . Many many well-known artists have submitted their work to Ballistic (which actually owns CGTalk - it's the same people, so you're supporting the community) for free, with absolutely no qualms about not getting paid.

Please don't turn this thread into another "artists should get paid" argument - cuz it's been done to death. It's funny how many of the whiners and troublemakers in the past never had any good artwork anyway...and the real artists had no objection to submitting their work. Ironic...

Geoff

visionmaster2
03-04-2005, 12:39 AM
i dont want to make a polemic !

Ballisticpublishing do a wonderfull artwork, and i buyed some of them, and keep buying the next one, but it s just my opinion..and i keep it.
just one thing, you said :

"It's funny how many of the whiners and troublemakers in the past never had any good artwork anyway...and the real artists had no objection to submitting their work. Ironic..."

sorry i dont have to juged any work of somebody, even if you had one.

ill not post any message in this thread.

have a nice day:love:

Peddy
03-04-2005, 12:43 AM
dammit my ballistic publishing wish list is getting too big! but this one will have to go to the top.

cg219
03-12-2005, 09:12 PM
How come this wasnt as advertised as Expose 3 Call for entries?

ArtisticVisions
03-13-2005, 02:54 PM
How come this wasnt as advertised as Expose 3 Call for entries?
Cause this isn't for Expose 3? :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2005, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.